shape
carat
color
clarity

Please rate this princess cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

overbore

Rough_Rock
I think I finally found it! Please feel free to evaluate and let me know your feedback:

2.04 ct Princess Cut
Color: H
Clarity: SI2

Dimensions
Depth: 65.8
Width: 68
Crown: 9
Pavilion: 54
Girdle: Medium/Polished

Inclusions are white and on the table but eye clean!

Note: This is an EGL certified stone - I understand that grading (esp. color) may be subject.

Price: $5500

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/14/2009 9:48:25 AM
Author:overbore
I think I finally found it! Please feel free to evaluate and let me know your feedback:

2.04 ct Princess Cut

Dimensions

Note: This is an EGL certified stone - I understand that grading (esp. color) may be subject.

Hi overbore

I take it by width you mean the table size? From what I can gather it looks like a typical commercial cut quality Princess, also you are obviously aware of EGL''s grading. From the small amount of info we have, I would say you can do better, can we get images or is the diamond from a jewellery store?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will need an ASET image at least for a fancy cut. Have you seen it personally?

Rough guess is not that good, total depth and crown height is on the low side, but as princess can be cut in a lot of different ways that is not a strike out. What is the dimensions of the stone? Need to know the l/w ratio.

overbore

Rough_Rock
Sorry... I forgot to include the dimensions!

7.11 - 7.05 X 4.64mm
Length/Width 1.01

And yes, width = table width%.

Additional:
Polish - Very Good
Symmetry - Very Good

Fluorescence - Slight

THANKS TO EVEYRONE FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!!!

overbore

Rough_Rock
Also - This diamond is from an online vendor. Unfortunately they do not offer an Asset Image or Ideal Scope. The cut grade is highest level... Considering they offer a 30 day money back return I am considering purchasing.

I am open to other suggestions...

Thanks again!!!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Only AGS grades the princess cut on cut performance. Any other lab do not do so, so the cut grade is only a grade given by the vendor, could mean anything as there is not way to compare the cut grade of one vendor with another.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/14/2009 10:47:50 AM
Author: overbore
Also - This diamond is from an online vendor. Unfortunately they do not offer an Asset Image or Ideal Scope. The cut grade is highest level... Considering they offer a 30 day money back return I am considering purchasing.

I am open to other suggestions...

Thanks again!!!
According to whom, the vendor? I disagree there, this diamond isn't cut to top standards, that can be ascertained from the info we have. Without an image it is really buying blind in my opinion plus as you are aware EGL grading can be less accurate than GIA or AGS.

What is your budget for the diamond and requirements? Maybe we could find some others which might suit you?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, UD can get you IS and magnified image for the stones, so ask for it. Although ASET works better for princess, IS is still better than nothing. Don''t take their word for it on the cut of the stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/14/2009 11:11:23 AM
See link below:

http://www.uniondiamond.com/diamonds/diamonds.php?mod=search&search_type_id=2&action_type_id=2&item_id=AB495316#

I understand that the cut grade is based on vendor and not AGS - My point is that I can't seem to find anything wrong with this stone on paper that screams 'Don't give it a chance!'

If anyone has similar stones I would be happy to take a look at them!

Thanks
I would advise if you want to pursue an EGL graded diamond, to make the sale final on it checking out with an independant appraisal. To me, the type of grading lab, that the table size is greater than the depth,( normally the reverse is preferred), and the crown height is on the low side are all sufficient reasons to me to keep looking.

UD would be able to supply photos and an Idealscope image should you want to investigate further.

overbore

Rough_Rock
I appreciate the feedback! I am demanding an Ideal Scope and Magnified Image. Stay tuned and please feel free to contact me with similar stones in this price range!

FB.

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/14/2009 9:48:25 AM
Author:overbore

2.04 ct Princess Cut

Dimensions

AGA cut grade estimator:
http://gemappraisers.com/oldcutgrade.asp

AGA suggests an excellent cut grade, which seems surprising. I''d get some images, if possible.

Personally, I''d consider it to have quite a shallow depth and low crown. Many don''t like to have tables larger than the depth.

overbore

Rough_Rock
FB,

Great tool! That is exactly what I was looking for.

You mention shallow depth and low crown? What exactly does this cause?

I guess what I mean is... how will this affect the brilliance of the diamond? It seems a shallower depth would give you a larger face? Will this cut down on light refraction?

Why is a low crown such a bad thing? I would think that a higher crown height would lead to a loss of spread in the stone, meaning you have less surface for the same weight.

Lets say ASET and pictures look good - Any reason why I shouldnt snag this stone for $5500?

Just trying to learn as much as possible so thanks again to everyone for the feedback!

FB.

Brilliant_Rock
Flat crowns often result in stones with lots of brightness but not much fire; rather unbalanced perfromance.
A good mix of characteristics allows a diamond to excel in all lighting conditions. I would prefer a princess crown to be 11-14%, with a table less than 72% and ideally less than 70%. I would prefer the table to be a few % smaller than the total depth.

overbore

Rough_Rock
Here is a picture... I have asked for ASET image as well. Should be available tomorrow. Any thoughts?

H_diamond.jpg

overbore

Rough_Rock
Anyone?

It appears that the diamond is reflecting the skin tones of the individual shooting the photo. I expect this is hard to judge based on the picture. Should I be concerned with the EGL H color? Was hoping the slight fluorescence would help the diamond look white in a setting.

Any thoughts?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2009 7:16:36 PM
Here is a picture... I have asked for ASET image as well. Should be available tomorrow. Any thoughts?
From what I can tell it is a typical commercial quality cut Princess, if you can get an ASET that will be helpful. EGL Israel H colour might not be H colour but could grade much lower.

overbore

Rough_Rock
Finally! Here is the IS image!

H_diamond_IS_Image.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
The photo actually looks good to me, much better than I expected given the numbers. It's very pretty. There's still the issue about the large table and flat crown in that real-life sparkle may be lower than you like. The IS looks good with the amount of red showing, but does anyone else think it looks photoshopped? Those bit red patches at north/south/east/west around the table just don't seem real. This would be very strange for a trusted vendor...maybe it's just from the resizing.

But the bigger issue for me is the big inclusion on the right of the IS, which I can see a bit on the photo as well. That's unlikely to be eye-clean.

overbore

Rough_Rock
Here is another image...

H_diamond_2A.jpg

overbore

Rough_Rock
Vendor has confirmed eye clean when viewing from the top. She said the inclusion is only noticeable with the naked eye when viewing from the side of the stone. For the price is there any way I can go wrong? It seems I would have to spend ~ 10K+ to get a 2 ct stone with ideal characteristics.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
yap, IS looks weird to me, too much red, almost no black or white. Probably not set up correctly.

overbore

Rough_Rock
Great... the file size on the IS image is 12.2kb. Looks like someone snapped this image with a cell phone! I am considering ordering for personal inspection. Anyone disagree?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I would be OK with that inclusion, but that's just a mind-clean thing for me. Up to you and the person you're buying for.

Also make sure you're ok with lower color, as from the last photo I can detect a slight tint (and I'm not all that color-sensitive, so it's probably real).

ETA: And I would also ask for a higher-res IS image since that one is fishy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results