shape
carat
color
clarity

Please post your Q color diamonds

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would like to see them in a ring or pendant. Thanks.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't have a Q but keep admiring the Q 2.31 VVS2 at HPD. I see it is on hold now - did a PS'er perhaps put it on hold? Was that you CFlutist? I think some Qs (like the one at HPD) are beautiful.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 thank you very much, that is exactly what I was looking for.
@caf yes that was me.

After buying 4 F-colored CBI diamonds, I thought it might be totally out of the box for me to venture into warmer diamonds and halos. Yes, very late to the party.

The video is here

I have not seen the stone yet but want to see it next to their Lux melee before buying it.
To those of you with more experience in these matters would a halo around this diamond provide enough contrast or do I need a yellow cup too?

I do have a Fancy Yellow from Tiffany but it is a small .80ct.
I thought that this might be a fun RHR to have.

@Queenie60
@diamondseeker2006

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know I’m going to say you should set it like msops ring because I think I very lower colored diamond needs a white diamond halo :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Q-R 4,55 OEC
BEC94194-52B6-4ACF-A690-F5650508D2E1.jpeg 884D193F-5439-4A86-9AC2-9E5E76EDD7A8.jpeg 7D8AEC6F-45DF-4F46-BDD7-4DF22C3484AD.jpeg

Beautiful!

Queenie has one, but it is set in a yellow cup to enhance the yellow. So I am not sure how much this will help you! I have an O color AVR, and it faces up ivory in natural light due to the cut, but I'd say it is a champagne color compared to my I color one.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-in-casablanca-halo-from-cvb.225900/page-2

Gorgeous!

Q stands for MagnifiQue!:love:

Good luck @cflutist! It's going to be beautiful no matter what you decide!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the delay in returning! Here is what I believe. My O color AVR has the same issue that the CBI Q will have, and that is since both are cut for light return, we will see less color face up than we would if the stones were antique OECs, for example. I now realize that I will not get a yellow appearance from my stone. It will be more champagne and will definitely need white diamonds surrounding it to make it show some contrast. That said, I do prefer old cuts in these low colors, yet I am sure a CBI stone would be beautiful in all colors. I just don't think even with a cup that you'll get a light yellow appearance. My Y-Z antique cushion does not have a yellow gold cup, but there is some yellow gold surrounding it, and I don't think it makes any difference since that stone was also cut for light return. Yet, a Y-Z is definitely more light yellow than my O.

Here is a picture face up in natural light of my O AVR with a yellow sapphire. Yours would have a slight bit more color, but I think you can get an idea. Second pic is yellow sapphire, O AVR, and Y-Z AVC on the bottom.

2017-11-11 11.48.23.jpg
2017-10-19 17.28.51.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting @diamondseeker2006 .
I am so confused, we were planning a yellow cup and a white halo.
Here is a photo of the Q in natural light next to my 3-stone F color CBIs in natural light.
I should be receiving this ring tomorrow.

CBI Q and 3-srone Fs.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My goodness, they are FAST!!! I will say that this stone looks more yellow face up. Yours possibly would be GIA R color. And I know mine was graded GIA O before it was recut. So maybe your contrast with the halo will be greater than mine would be. This was a picture from Jon before I received the stone. I can honestly say it is just appears different in different lighting.
2016-12-28 11.52.54.jpg

But WOW, I am in love with your three stone ring! So excited that you decided to do it! I always am interested in the mm of the stones! Can't wait to see both rings!:appl:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting @diamondseeker2006 .
I am so confused, we were planning a yellow cup and a white halo.
Here is a photo of the Q in natural light next to my 3-stone F color CBIs in natural light.
I should be receiving this ring tomorrow.

CBI Q and 3-srone Fs.jpeg

@Rockdiamond
You are the yellow diamond expert and I know that you cannot comment on the stone, but generally speaking, would a yellow cup under this Q colored diamond and a white halo around it provide enough contrast to fool the eye to think that it is a very very very light yellow? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Cheryl
Cool beans!!
It’s true, I have quite a bit of experience in this area because I have had the same curiosity as you about this.
I have found that the physics of the cut/ light performance will generally overcome the color.
In my experience with super ideal diamonds ( and many Old Mine Brilliant) it’s virtually impossible to overcome the brightness – the white reflections overcome the color.
We have had round brilliant cut diamonds that really did show the yellow… But they were much more intense in terms of color. And also cut differently than a super ideal.
I will say that we’ve also experienced anomalies. For example, there have been times that a stone had a slight pink blush that was accentuated after we set it. On the other hand, plenty of times we tried, and it didn’t work. With the faint colors it can be a crap shoot.
Also true that a super well cut stone has a special beauty regardless of color (IMO) so that even if we didn’t get the color results a gorgeous stone is a gorgeous ring can win the day.
Congratulations the stone looks lovely

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CF - gosh dang darn all your stones are beautiful. CBI stones really stand out. Your Q color stone to me has the aura of old world, in which case I think an old world setting is most important.. I'd do platinum with yellow gold (18k?) prongs.. With this stone CF it's going to be so brilliant I think color is truly secondary but as always, your may think differently.. it's really beautiful.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David pretty much confirmed what I said about stones cut for light performance not showing as much color face up. Even my Y-Z AVC would be more yellow had it not been cut for light return, but I wanted it anyway! In fact, Yoram was the one who was telling me about light return fighting color when I was considering buying the Y-Z stone.

I looked at the video and suspect your Q will face up kind of champagne color like my O AVR. It looks like a gorgeous stone, so I think you'll be happy with it as long as you embrace the color that it is!

NinjaSkunk

Rough_Rock
My goodness, they are FAST!!! I will say that this stone looks more yellow face up. Yours possibly would be GIA R color. And I know mine was graded GIA O before it was recut. So maybe your contrast with the halo will be greater than mine would be. This was a picture from Jon before I received the stone. I can honestly say it is just appears different in different lighting.
2016-12-28 11.52.54.jpg

But WOW, I am in love with your three stone ring! So excited that you decided to do it! I always am interested in the mm of the stones! Can't wait to see both rings!:appl:
:love: Stunning

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never in my life have I been so torn on what to do.
Normally I would tell Melissa what I want, she would get the designer to produce the CADs, we refine them a few times, and then we are finished.

This time, I am so unsure of myself.
Part of me wants to embrace it for what it is, a superideal cut Q color CBI diamond.
The other part of me says try to enhance it with a yellow cup which may fail.
Aggggggh.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never in my life have I been so torn on what to do.
Normally I would tell Melissa what I want, she would get the designer to produce the CADs, we refine them a few times, and then we are finished.

This time, I am so unsure of myself.
Part of me wants to embrace it for what it is, a superideal cut Q color CBI diamond.
The other part of me says try to enhance it with a yellow cup which may fail.
Aggggggh.

It’s a tough choice but my vote fwiw is embrace it for what it is. A beautiful CBI diamond with its luscious champagne color.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do embracing it for what it is and putting it in yellow cup have to be different choices? If you put it in a cup it will either look more yellow, or maybe not and it will still look like fabulous champagne. So if you love it as it is, do you have much to lose by trying?

Either way it’ll be a fabulous addition to your amazing collection.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem is, the cup obscures the diamond from being cleaned to a certain extent, and it is unlikely to affect the color very much. Can you have them send you the stone to look at before you commit to buying and setting? I think that's the only way you'll be able to resolve the questions.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem is, the cup obscures the diamond from being cleaned to a certain extent, and it is unlikely to affect the color very much. Can you have them send you the stone to look at before you commit to buying and setting? I think that's the only way you'll be able to resolve the questions.
Wink offered to send it but I said no.
I am committed to it now and am working with Melissa to design a halo for it.
No cup as I am pretty anal about cleaning my diamonds which is why the pavilions are fully accessible on HPD Symphony and Trilogie.
Thank you to all who offered their advice.
This will be my very first non D - F color diamond and my very first halo so it is just a new experience for me.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love that stone! Glad you decided on it and removed it from temptation for me! It’s going to look beautiful set.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bezel in gold. That’s probably what I’d do. It’s not a cup- which I agree with amthis diamond is unlikely to do much, but it to my mind tells a story of “we’re going for yellow, here”

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd do a yellow gold halo, not a cup. What a great stone!!!!!

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
Sorry for the delay in returning! Here is what I believe. My O color AVR has the same issue that the CBI Q will have, and that is since both are cut for light return, we will see less color face up than we would if the stones were antique OECs, for example. I now realize that I will not get a yellow appearance from my stone. It will be more champagne and will definitely need white diamonds surrounding it to make it show some contrast. That said, I do prefer old cuts in these low colors, yet I am sure a CBI stone would be beautiful in all colors. I just don't think even with a cup that you'll get a light yellow appearance. My Y-Z antique cushion does not have a yellow gold cup, but there is some yellow gold surrounding it, and I don't think it makes any difference since that stone was also cut for light return. Yet, a Y-Z is definitely more light yellow than my O.

Here is a picture face up in natural light of my O AVR with a yellow sapphire. Yours would have a slight bit more color, but I think you can get an idea. Second pic is yellow sapphire, O AVR, and Y-Z AVC on the bottom.

2017-11-11 11.48.23.jpg
2017-10-19 17.28.51.jpg

Wow, that looks like it could be graded as a fancy yellow!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results