shape
carat
color
clarity

Please, Opinions On Diamond For E-Ring - Confusion?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamondDreams

Rough_Rock
Nice Rock?

I really think I like/love this for an e-ring. From the 40X, AGS report and ideal-scope, plus great HCA this looks like a very pretty eye-clean to me, but is there something I''m missing? Seems like a nice price for a beautiful diamond. I''ve been really impressed with the knowledge on Pricescope and would really like your opinions since I''m making a purchase this week or next...

Also, with this quality, should I have it shipped with the setting, but unset and have it appraised and then set?

I know I''ve been a pain, but I really want to make the right decision... ignorance really is bliss isn''t it?
34.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2006 7:54:20 PM
Author:DiamondDreams
Nice Rock?

I really think I like/love this for an e-ring. From the 40X, AGS report and ideal-scope, plus great HCA this looks like a very pretty eye-clean to me, but is there something I'm missing? Seems like a nice price for a beautiful diamond. I've been really impressed with the knowledge on Pricescope and would really like your opinions since I'm making a purchase this week or next...

Also, with this quality, should I have it shipped with the setting, but unset and have it appraised and then set?

I know I've been a pain, but I really want to make the right decision... ignorance really is bliss isn't it?
34.gif
Nice rock? NICE rock? Exceptionally nice rock! You'd be hard pressed to find a better one.

All the numbers are superb, the images superb. Not a single compromise. Very nice pick.

If I were you, though, I'd at least put it on hold until you make up your mind. Primo stones in the 2ct mark don't last for long, especially in that color/clarity range.

The appraisal question is really a personal preference thing. For me, that's a ton of money, and I'd want the appraisal done unset. If you don't have someone who'll set it after appraisal, you can always have it sent back to WF and they will set it for you.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice Rock?

I really think I like/love this for an e-ring. From the 40X, AGS report and ideal-scope, plus great HCA this looks like a very pretty eye-clean to me, but is there something I'm missing? Seems like a nice price for a beautiful diamond. I've been really impressed with the knowledge on Pricescope and would really like your opinions since I'm making a purchase this week or next...

I know I've been a pain, but I really want to make the right decision... ignorance really is bliss isn't it?
34.gif
DiamondDreams:

This diamond looks like an excellent si-2. Looking at the AGS Plot you can see the pinpoint and clouds outlined on the diagram, but the inclusions seem to be faint white and scattered throughout the stone rather than dark and centralized in one area. I would say you have yourself a pretty cherry si-2.

Sarin, 40x Image, and the IS all look good...
37.gif

I would think it is in your best interest to get the stone shipped to an inependent appraiser un-mounted. It makes appraising much easier due to the added complications of trying to assess the diamonds characteristics when set. Color is even harder to determine when diamonds are set, especially in yellow gold.When the appraisal is done, ship it back to WF and they will set it.

I think it's a great compromise on color and the fact that you found IMHO an excellent si-2 gave you that much more spending power in a diamond where there is no compromise on the CUT. I think you did well and pending the appraisal, I think you should go for it. Good Job DiamondDreams..
21.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Nice Rock?

I really think I like/love this for an e-ring. From the 40X, AGS report and ideal-scope, plus great HCA this looks like a very pretty eye-clean to me, but is there something I''m missing? Seems like a nice price for a beautiful diamond. I''ve been really impressed with the knowledge on Pricescope and would really like your opinions since I''m making a purchase this week or next...

I know I''ve been a pain, but I really want to make the right decision... ignorance really is bliss isn''t it?
34.gif
Have you called or e-mailed Whiteflash to get their opinion on all of those issues? They should be able to tell you whether it''s eye-clean or not.

Have you picked out the setting? Is it from WF as well?

Ideally, it''s a great idea to have the diamond appraised unset ( more accurate) and then once it''s set, have it re-appraised for insurance purposes.

I''m by no means an expert, but that''s just my 2 cents
35.gif

DiamondDreams

Rough_Rock
I like what I''m hearing, if I''m correct sounds like I''m getting a pretty nice looking eye-clean SI-2 that is hopefully bright and white...
I''d better reserve this beauty, unless there''s something I''m missing... Thanks so much to Pricescope for giving me a good education :)

Any more comments are really appreciated, always scared to "pull the trigger"

30.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks great, too! But unlike the others, I''d go ahead and have WF set it. It will come with an insurance appraisal. WF ACA''s are a safe purchase, IMO, and I wouldn''t feel the need to have it sent back and forth for extra appraisals. After all, it has been independently evaluated by AGS already.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2006 9:05:27 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I think it looks great, too! But unlike the others, I''d go ahead and have WF set it. It will come with an insurance appraisal. WF ACA''s are a safe purchase, IMO, and I wouldn''t feel the need to have it sent back and forth for extra appraisals. After all, it has been independently evaluated by AGS already.

While this may certainly appear self serving, note that on GIA reports as well as AGS reports, they suggest the stones be checked by a Certified or Credentialed Gemologist written right on the report.

I am not saying that AGS is wrong or incorrect, or that WF is not a fine and reputable seller, but it is $ 17K of someone''s money that you''re advising them to spend, without seeing the stone personally.

While this is "safe" generally speaking, what one of the gemologists here would charge is very minor to the purchase price, and provide complete peace of mind for the consumer.

Just to mention ONE of many characteristics that may affect a stone...... sometimes plots are NOT a very representative drawing of where the inclusions look like, or their placement in the stone. In an SI clarity grade stone, this is pretty important, wouldn''t you agree? Some of the lab gemologists, draw the inclusions much lighter than they appear, and others draw them the opposite way. Some are not drawn precisely where they are located in the stone because the graphic shown is one dimensional. In addition, not all but some of the inclusions "open" when viewed from the pavilion. The labs draw them generally in the face up view. You can''t tell from a lab plot how "deep" the inclusion is.

When considering the fee to get it checked out, it is very minor as to what is being spent for the purchase.

GIA and AGS didn''t put those statements on the reports because they don''t mean anything.

Rockdoc

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Here is some pretty well written consideration and advice from Leonid / Irina :

We did get an email from Maxspinel and know who the vendor is. A few thoughts from our viewpoint.

1. First of all, we feel sorry that Maxspinel had bad experience and lost money and time. Unfortunately, this could happen with both online and traditional vendor. Other members understand and sympathase you. However, neither experts nor consumers can help you in any way, unless you share more information. Let''s do not turn against each other out of frustration

2. In this particular case, the company in question is not our advertiser or listed anywhere on our site. Moreover, we haven''t found any testimonial on our forum that shares positive or negative experience dealing with this company. Therefore, this vendor was not really "recommended" by anybody here.

3. If there would be facts of wrongdoing or ethical problems with any company that advertise or listed here, we should get rid of such advertiser.

4. However, Pricescope is not FTC or BBB. We provide the message board to share your experience to inform other people. Consumers can ask questions and get response from fellow consumers and experts. It doesn''t mean consumers should skip due diligence and then blaim "this site".

5. A few regular members of this forum did posted links to some pages/pictures of this vendor pointing to some products. Although it was more like illustrations during conversations rather than recommendations to do business with this vendor especially no-one said that they know that vendor or bought anything from them.

6. When working with any vendor online, auction, catalog, TV, or in B&M store, please evaluate your risk and exercise common sense to protect yourself: check the company background, get written warranties, employ independent appraiser, use credit card, etc.

7. Share your factual information with community to help your fellow consumers to avoid similar problems. Unfortunately, we know that some community members prefer not to share negative experience with their vendors for different reasons: legal, financial interests, or simply afraid to look silly. For example, a member gets a great deal from a company and writes rave testimonials for that company on the forum, recommends it all the time. Later this member discovers poor quality of the work but not posting about it on the forum because doesn''t want to loose his/her face.... There are many other reasons.

8. Consumers who recommend other vendors or simply dropping links (or pictures) for illustrations, keep in mind that you are influencing someone''s buying decision. Make it clear what your knowledge of this vendor/products is.

What else can we say

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pricescope

DiamondDreams

Rough_Rock
Here is what I got from WF:

It’s a beautiful diamond with amazing performance - but as everyone knows SI2s, especially large ones, are not traditionally eye-clean. There is a white crystal which may be detected in diffused lighting if you hold the diamond still. It’s white and off-center, so it’s not easy to see, but it is possible to see it and we would not misrepresent that. This is a beautiful 2 carat ACA with amazing performance - and when its performing in direct light you will not see the inclusion. When being held in 3-prong tweezers to simulate a setting it’s more difficult to see (we often find this to be the case).

damn, now what?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2006 10:30:45 PM
Author: RockDoc

Date: 8/13/2006 9:05:27 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

While this may certainly appear self serving, note that on GIA reports as well as AGS reports, they suggest the stones be checked by a Certified or Credentialed Gemologist written right on the report.

I am not saying that AGS is wrong or incorrect, or that WF is not a fine and reputable seller, but it is $ 17K of someone''s money that you''re advising them to spend, without seeing the stone personally.

While this is ''safe'' generally speaking, what one of the gemologists here would charge is very minor to the purchase price, and provide complete peace of mind for the consumer.

Just to mention ONE of many characteristics that may affect a stone...... sometimes plots are NOT a very representative drawing of where the inclusions look like, or their placement in the stone. In an SI clarity grade stone, this is pretty important, wouldn''t you agree? Some of the lab gemologists, draw the inclusions much lighter than they appear, and others draw them the opposite way. Some are not drawn precisely where they are located in the stone because the graphic shown is one dimensional. In addition, not all but some of the inclusions ''open'' when viewed from the pavilion. The labs draw them generally in the face up view. You can''t tell from a lab plot how ''deep'' the inclusion is.

When considering the fee to get it checked out, it is very minor as to what is being spent for the purchase.

GIA and AGS didn''t put those statements on the reports because they don''t mean anything.

Rockdoc
hahahaha....
well...what can you expect from an appraiser?
40.gif

i''m with you ds, i see no reason.

sorry rockdoc
20.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2006 11:24:12 PM
Author: DiamondDreams

It’s a beautiful diamond with amazing performance - but as everyone knows SI2s, especially large ones, are not traditionally eye-clean. There is a white crystal which may be detected in diffused lighting if you hold the diamond still. It’s white and off-center, so it’s not easy to see, but it is possible to see it and we would not misrepresent that. This is a beautiful 2 carat ACA with amazing performance - and when its performing in direct light you will not see the inclusion. When being held in 3-prong tweezers to simulate a setting it’s more difficult to see (we often find this to be the case).

damn, now what?
a white crystal...only possibly detectable in diffuse lighting when held still?
i'm buying it!!
27.gif

no doubt.
that is one type of inclusion you would want in an si2! they have to be somewhere. may as well make them white and off to the side baby.
2.gif

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/14/2006 11:37:30 PM
Author: belle

Date: 8/14/2006 11:24:12 PM
Author: DiamondDreams

damn, now what?
a white crystal...only possibly detectable in diffuse lighting when held still?
i''m buying it!!
27.gif

no doubt.
that is one type of inclusion you would want in an si2! they have to be somewhere. may as well make them white and off to the side baby.
2.gif
I agree with Belle
1.gif
I have a white feather and it is visible when I look directly at it up very close...granted I have a 1ct to this 2ct but I can honestly say that the beauty of my stone outweighs the occasional detection that comes about. I''d buy it no problem! But if you are super uncomfortable have them send it to an appraiser. I sent mine to Richard Sherwood and he had nothing but praises for my stone. Good luck!

brt_mbl

Rough_Rock
I''m no expert... but if I had an extra 17k... thats where my money would go... It LOOKS like a nice rock! Even magnified, and I have PERFECT vision. I''m jealous!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results