carat
color
clarity

Please, need setting help! Poll.

Which setting?

• Total voters

princess_peach

Rough_Rock
Hi. I changed my engagement ring on my 1 yr anniversary to a 3 stone. I still have the old empty setting after 8 years and my DH is a bit annoyed with the fact I don't use it. So I bought a sweet little 0.5 ct old European cut diamond to put in so I could wear. The problem is my jeweler has to replace the head of my old ring because I am going from a 1.5 ct to 0.5 ct diamond. I am trying to decide whether to do a semi bezel or a head with tapered baguettes? Any votes for either? I am very indecisive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210119-124710_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210119-124710_Chrome.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20210119-172610_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210119-172610_Chrome.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 10

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I love the tapered baguette setting. What is your current set like? It might be nice to have a setting different from your daily wear set to change it up occasionally. Post pics when it’s done!

princess_peach

Rough_Rock
I love the tapered baguette setting. What is your current set like? It might be nice to have a setting different from your daily wear set to change it up occasionally. Post pics when it’s done!
My current e ring is 3 stone so bezel might be a nice change....but i love tapered baguettes too.

Ooo another reason I liked the one with tapered baguettes is you'd have a bit more flexibility if you ever want to change out the center stone!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@princess_peach -

I'm going to suggest a different route here.

If your husband's feeling are a bit wounded that the ring he bought you is sitting empty, changing it up so completely is kind of close to throwing it out altogether. By the time you take out the stone, add different side stones, remove and replace the head - you're basically left with a drop of metal from the ring he bought, and not much more. Some guys don't care - in which case I'd say - have at it! But he clearly does, so....

I would suggest getting a well cut gem in his birth stone and putting it into the empty setting, as is. You could wear it on your right hand, and your 3 stone on your left.

As for your 1/2ct OEC, put it into a pendant or buy another one and make studs. Or do an OEC cluster. Or anything that takes your fancy. But I think you might be wise to leave your e-ring setting as is, and maintain its sentimental value.

Just a suggestion from someone who's been around the block on this sort of thing a few times herself....

Good luck!

Last edited:

princess_peach

Rough_Rock
@princess_peach -

I'm going to suggest a different route here.

If your husband's feeling are a bit wounded that the ring he bought you is sitting empty, changing it up so completely is kind of close to throwing it out altogether. By the time you take out the stone, add different side stones, remove and replace the head - you're basically left with a drop of metal from the ring he bought, and not much more. Some guys don't care - in which case I'd say - have at it! But he clearly does, so....

I would suggest getting a well cut gem in his birth stone and putting it into the empty setting, as is. You could wear it on your right hand, and your 3 stone on your left.

As for your 1/2ct OEC, put it into a pendant or buy another one and make studs. Or do an OEC cluster. Or anything that takes your fancy. But I think you might be wise to leave your e-ring setting as is, and maintain its sentimental value.

Just a suggestion from someone who's been around the block on this sort of thing a few times herself....

Good luck!

You are so right...I should use the setting as is so I can say to my DH 'see, same ring." I did make an attempt to do that and find a stone that was the same dimensions as my diamond, but it is a 1.5 ct rectangular cushion, very random mm numbers unlike a square or round. My jeweler said I would have to find a very close match to use the same basket. I pretty much gave up and bought the 0.5 ct diamond. Hopefully DH is okay with me wearing it like he wants, just a bit modified...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results