shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with Radiant selection

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bethan

Rough_Rock
My guy and I have just begun our search and are having the ultimate blast learning so much about diamonds.
We''ve narrowed down our preferences to a Radiant cut and we''d like to find something around 2 carats.
I''ve learned a bit about the 4C''s but seems like brilliance, which I don''t think is accurately captured by any cert or rating scale, is the real predictor of the beauty of a diamond. For our price range (8-10K) I would like to find a rock that was G - I, SI1 or SI2, with small inclusions scattered rather than a chunk of black in the middle. If anyone can offer help with finding this in the MA or NH area, I''d so appreciate it.

And in the meantime, can you experts please chime in on a decision between the following two diamonds?
We''d also love to hear if you think this is fair pricing. Thanks so much!
36.gif

Diamond 1:
$11,800 for 2.13 carat SI1 Radiant with Color = I, 68% Depth, 75% Table, Thin Girdle, Very Good Polish, Very Good Symmetry, No Florescence

Diamond 2:
$15,750 for 2.24 carat SI2 Radiant with Color = F, 67% Depth, 68% Table and although I''m unclear on the rest of the details this was the most brilliant diamond I''ve ever seen!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Bethan
35.gif
I am no expert on radiants, however we have two leading experts here Radiantman, and David from Diamonds by Lauren. Also our fellow poster Coda 72 has a keen interest in radiants and their numbers. Most radiant lovers and experts like to use the numbers to eliminate diamonds, but say that you really have to see these shapes with your own eyes to see the performance, as slight variations can make a huge difference in optical performance. This you have already done, sounds like you have fallen in love
30.gif
30.gif
so see what other replies you get, but it seems like you may have found your diamond
3.gif

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a bit confused. Have you already decided that stone #2 is the one you want? If so, it sounds good, numbers aren''t bad. But if your budget is $8-10K, this is way over that.

I did a quick pricescope search for you looking for AGA 1a and 1b radiants. From the looks of things, it''s going to be hard to get a well-cut 2 carat radiant in your price range. Also, are you interested in a square one or a rectangular one? Rectangular ones seem to be easier to find.

Here''s a couple not that far out of your budget that looked interesting to me.

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1012/v.cgi?stock=3552895&_s=1012&_p=sdf348gd743&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1012/v.cgi?stock=3551550&_s=1012&_p=sdf348gd743&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

The second one I posted is actually still in your budget, but seems too reasonably priced for a G, SI2. It could very well not be eye-clean, but it''s always best to check with the vendor. Radiants that are SI2 can be eyeclean since the crushed ice pattern seems to hide inclusions pretty well. I saw 2 SI2s that I could barely see the inclusions even under the loupe.

By the way, both of these stones are listed with multiple vendors, I just listed the cheapest one. If you''re going to buy a radiant in a jewelry store and not online, you can expect the prices will most likely be higher.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone!
Bethan- congratulations!

I guess a good first step would be to look at diamonds which are within your price range.
Remember, you''ll need to set the diamond- which can cost anywhere from a couple hundred to thousands.

Is the $8-10,000 for a loose diamond?

bethan

Rough_Rock
Hi,
Thanks for all the replies... I have been delayed in replying as I was spending my evenings reading, How to Buy A Diamond by Fred Cuellar and I think this is the best book I''ve seen on this topic. Anyone who is looking should get a copy quick. I might drive every jeweler mad with all my questions and new knowledge but I now feel armed and ready!

I am hoping to stay in under 10K for the rock. After reading I think I was seeing the mark-up of a chain retailer in Diamond #2 above.

Thank you to those who have sent diamond ideas. I''m busy comparing to all the new criteria I''ve learned!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Bethan,
You''re not liklely to find a well cut 2 carat colorless Radiant for under$10k....sorry.

As far as Fred''s book- remember that it''s written from a sellers veiwpoint- as are my posts, Garry Holliway- and any other expert posting here.
A lot of things about diamonds are purported to be fact- when the truth is that many of these "facts" are actually opinions.

No need to look too far- Garry Holliway''s and my opinion differences are duly noted here on PS.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/5/2006 1:28:05 PM
Author: diamondsbylauren
Hi Bethan,
You''re not liklely to find a well cut 2 carat colorless Radiant for under$10k....sorry.

As far as Fred''s book- remember that it''s written from a sellers veiwpoint- as are my posts, Garry Holliway- and any other expert posting here.
A lot of things about diamonds are purported to be fact- when the truth is that many of these ''facts'' are actually opinions.

No need to look too far- Garry Holliway''s and my opinion differences are duly noted here on PS.
Point of order.
I am not a vendor on Pricescope.

If people want to buy a diamond from me they must visit my stores in Australia.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/4/2006 10:35:14 PM
Author: bethan
Hi,
Thanks for all the replies... I have been delayed in replying as I was spending my evenings reading, How to Buy A Diamond by Fred Cuellar and I think this is the best book I''ve seen on this topic. Anyone who is looking should get a copy quick. I might drive every jeweler mad with all my questions and new knowledge but I now feel armed and ready!

I am hoping to stay in under 10K for the rock. After reading I think I was seeing the mark-up of a chain retailer in Diamond #2 above.

Thank you to those who have sent diamond ideas. I''m busy comparing to all the new criteria I''ve learned!
Bethan I would search the forum on that authors name.
Radiant man is an expert. But buying from scant data is difficult if not impossible.
Radiaants are best bought in person or online from the in house and cut quality listings you can find on this search engine

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2006 1:56:52 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 1/5/2006 1:28:05 PM
Author: diamondsbylauren
Hi Bethan,

A lot of things about diamonds are purported to be fact- when the truth is that many of these ''facts'' are actually opinions.

Point of order.
I am not a vendor on Pricescope.

If people want to buy a diamond from me they must visit my stores in Australia.
Point of order: I said "seller''s veiwpoint", not pricescope vendor.......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results