shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with our engagement ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lacedup2go

Rough_Rock
Hi - I''m a newbie but have been lurking a little while. My fiancee and I visited Ashcroft & Oak last night in search of an engagement ring (he proposed a few months ago with a fake one since he wasn''t sure what i liked). I had always assumed I wanted a simple solitaire on a diamond band or simple solitaire with a plain band with a diamond anniversary band. However, in our search we found the following the ring:

http://www.ashcroftandoak.com/jewelry/product/rings/White-Gold-Princess-Cut-Engagement-Ring/100829

Now, it looks kind of plain from the top view, but it is absolitely stunning on the side - it has other diamonds on the sides of the mounting and the metal is very intricate and delicate looking. I wish they had a picture of the side view. I completely fell in love with it and am surprised that I changed my view of the ideal wedding band I thought I had always wanted. However, I love vintage looking jewely and the mounting on this is very vintage inspired.

My question is that my fiancee and I have been doing our research but are so nervous to purchase the ring as want to go with someone trusted. I also love this setting so much that I am not sure i will find it anywhere else besides their chain of stores. Should we buy the setting at Ashcroft and get the diamond elsewhere? Or should we buy the whole piece there? Or do we try to find it somewhere else, knowing that I can only rely off my horrible memory for what the setting looked like from a side view??

Your advice and thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2009 10:35:08 AM
Author:lacedup2go
Hi - I''m a newbie but have been lurking a little while. My fiancee and I visited Ashcroft & Oak last night in search of an engagement ring (he proposed a few months ago with a fake one since he wasn''t sure what i liked). I had always assumed I wanted a simple solitaire on a diamond band or simple solitaire with a plain band with a diamond anniversary band. However, in our search we found the following the ring:

http://www.ashcroftandoak.com/jewelry/product/rings/White-Gold-Princess-Cut-Engagement-Ring/100829

Now, it looks kind of plain from the top view, but it is absolitely stunning on the side - it has other diamonds on the sides of the mounting and the metal is very intricate and delicate looking. I wish they had a picture of the side view. I completely fell in love with it and am surprised that I changed my view of the ideal wedding band I thought I had always wanted. However, I love vintage looking jewely and the mounting on this is very vintage inspired.

My question is that my fiancee and I have been doing our research but are so nervous to purchase the ring as want to go with someone trusted. I also love this setting so much that I am not sure i will find it anywhere else besides their chain of stores. Should we buy the setting at Ashcroft and get the diamond elsewhere? Or should we buy the whole piece there? Or do we try to find it somewhere else, knowing that I can only rely off my horrible memory for what the setting looked like from a side view??

Your advice and thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks!!
Welcome!

That is a halo setting which other vendors might be able to provide if you didn''t want to buy a diamond from this company.

lacedup2go

Rough_Rock
I think I understand about the halo setting, but what about the actual mounting or the ring itself (sorry - I''m clueless on the exact words to use). I loved how the band looked from the side angle and I can''t get a picture of that. Do I just keep looking around or get the setting there?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2009 10:51:45 AM
Author: lacedup2go
I think I understand about the halo setting, but what about the actual mounting or the ring itself (sorry - I''m clueless on the exact words to use). I loved how the band looked from the side angle and I can''t get a picture of that. Do I just keep looking around or get the setting there?
No worries! So no pics of the side of the ring? It sounds from what I can make out that it had diamonds set into the side of the band?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ashcroft and Oak is the low end Helzberg if I am not mistaken. You could do MUCH better with one of the online vendors as far as quality.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
that setting is pretty common as halo''s are very popular right now. you can probably do better on price and definitely do better on quality using a PS vendor IMO. it''s a very lovely ring though and I can see why you love it
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Was it just the halo setting that you liked or did you also like the pricess cut? If you like rounds too, you can also get lots of different halo setting for them.

What about going back and asking to take a picture of the ring on your finger so you can "Ask your mom''s advice"? Then you would know what it looked like.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Beverley K does some beautiful vintage-style halo rings. Here's an example, and the link

ETA: they also do customizing, for example, if you don't like the engraving they can do it without. They can also accommodate a square shaped stone in many of the settings.

beverleyk98pp1.jpg

lacedup2go

Rough_Rock
I think I like the 'moms advice" - that might work!! I've searched high and low over the internet today to find the right picture but none of them have the design that Ashcroft had (oh why oh why do they not have the side profile pictured??)

Anyways - I love some of the pictures and advice you have sent and have forwarded them to my fiancee to review and research. I get nervous picking a ring out on the internet as I found in person rings can look totally different from one to the next. There was a great picture of one I liked in the "halo" PS link someone forwarded that is pretty similar to what I like.

I love the look of halo's . . I am not a fan of princess cut on their own. I could do either round or princess cut halo but I think the princess cut was a little more vintage looking. I'm a big fan of delicate details and vintage looks.

Thanks all - keep the advice coming, otherwise, I'll be sure to post a picture when we get the ring!!

PS - I think i have the kind of ring name down right?? ....a princess cut halo in a cushion setting with a micro-pave band. Does that sound right when talking to jewelers??

I hope "Mingo" doesn't mind me pasting a copy of her halo link, but the ring I want is similar to hers, except the the diamond on the side of the cushion is higher on the ashcroft ring I want so that I can easily wear a normal wedding band with diamonds around it to match: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-princess-cut-halo-e-ring.51830/ The detailing on the ashcroft ring is also a little more inticrate. Mingo's ring is GORGEOUS though.

Again - this is the ring I want, but I don't think we want to buy from a mall and I can't locate a side shot of the ring to show off the cushion and mounting: http://www.ashcroftandoak.com/jewelry/product/contemporary/White-Gold-Princess-Cut-Engagement-Ring/100985

Laura27

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/3/2009 9:54:18 PM
Author: lacedup2go
I think I like the 'moms advice' - that might work!! I've searched high and low over the internet today to find the right picture but none of them have the design that Ashcroft had (oh why oh why do they not have the side profile pictured??)

Anyways - I love some of the pictures and advice you have sent and have forwarded them to my fiancee to review and research. I get nervous picking a ring out on the internet as I found in person rings can look totally different from one to the next. There was a great picture of one I liked in the 'halo' PS link someone forwarded that is pretty similar to what I like.

I love the look of halo's . . I am not a fan of princess cut on their own. I could do either round or princess cut halo but I think the princess cut was a little more vintage looking. I'm a big fan of delicate details and vintage looks.

Thanks all - keep the advice coming, otherwise, I'll be sure to post a picture when we get the ring!!

PS - I think i have the kind of ring name down right?? ....a princess cut halo in a cushion setting with a micro-pave band. Does that sound right when talking to jewelers??

I hope 'Mingo' doesn't mind me pasting a copy of her halo link, but the ring I want is similar to hers, except the the diamond on the side of the cushion is higher on the ashcroft ring I want so that I can easily wear a normal wedding band with diamonds around it to match: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-princess-cut-halo-e-ring.51830/ The detailing on the ashcroft ring is also a little more inticrate. Mingo's ring is GORGEOUS though.

Again - this is the ring I want, but I don't think we want to buy from a mall and I can't locate a side shot of the ring to show off the cushion and mounting: http://www.ashcroftandoak.com/jewelry/product/contemporary/White-Gold-Princess-Cut-Engagement-Ring/100985
I think you mean a princess cut diamond in a halo setting. However, if you're a big fan of the vintage look then perhaps you should check out some cushion cuts. They look very vintage and glamourous and very beautiful in a halo setting. (Plus since you're not a big fan of the princess you may like cushions more since they have rounded corners) I can't remember which thread I was looking at but someone had posted their halo cushion and it's was BEAUTIFUL! I'll look around and see if I can find it for you.

EDIT- Found a gorgeous example! Totally drool worthy... https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/you-can-call-me-reeyonce.21349/

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Don't know if you are still around looking for suggestions, but I stumbled across this setting on Ebay and it might be what you are looking for?

link

EDIT: it's only $439 with what appears to be a good return policy, so it might be worth checking out? The poster Alloamie has her bands from them (that's how I found out about them).

ebayringBAdiamonds.jpg

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Or, if you are concerned about the cut quality of the tiny diamonds you could go with a mounting from Adwar and have Brian Gavin Diamonds or Whiteflash set them in. Something like this with diamonds on the gallery?http://www.adwar.com/products/styles/22885L/view

(hold mouse on picture to see the side view)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results