shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with a diamond!

Elise_k

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I’m a newbie who has been a longtime lurker on this forum! I’ve been spending wayy too much time on here admiring everyone’s ring and their endless diamond knowledge.

I’m currently looking for an engagement ring which will be set in a setting similar to this in platinum:
https://www.maisonbirks.com/en/birks-1879-white-gold-round-solitaire-diamond-engagement-ring

Diamond:
https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamonds/id/3623830

AB63E201-1589-4B17-9DC9-6F48C52D9438.jpeg

My worry is that the table is too wide at 59% and it won’t perform with as much fire as I’d like to see! Also, it turns out that I’m pretty colour sensitive, so I worry that I’d find H too warm..

Please let me know what you guys think! I’d really appreciate any input!

Thanks!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

I’m a newbie who has been a longtime lurker on this forum! I’ve been spending wayy too much time on here admiring everyone’s ring and their endless diamond knowledge.

I’m currently looking for an engagement ring which will be set in a setting similar to this in platinum:
https://www.maisonbirks.com/en/birks-1879-white-gold-round-solitaire-diamond-engagement-ring

Diamond:
https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamonds/id/3623830

AB63E201-1589-4B17-9DC9-6F48C52D9438.jpeg

My worry is that the table is too wide at 59% and it won’t perform with as much fire as I’d like to see! Also, it turns out that I’m pretty colour sensitive, so I worry that I’d find H too warm..

Please let me know what you guys think! I’d really appreciate any input!

Thanks!!
Have you read up on 60/60 vs. "ideal" cut stones that we often recommend here? They are different looks, so it's important to know exactly what kind of stone you want and like before jumping into it.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Have you already purchased this diamond?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
The specs are not good. I would pass on this one.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you won't know if your color sensitivity is applicable to this stone until you actually see it. H is the color where most sensitive folks detect color, because H is a band of a range of colors. If this H is closer to a G you may feel different than if it is a H near an I. But, the larger the stone, the more color is present to detect. Even in a very well-cut stone, although stone with loads of fire can make it hard to see color (except from the side).

As to the inclusions, SI1 with clouds in both the plot and notes have a greater chance of being problematic. But, that is not set in "stone". A diamond is really the sum of all parts.

Being a 60/60 style will tend to make have more white light return vs. fire. I like 60/60s, but that is not the look everyone wants. It is probably the type of stone you see on most folks with round stones that were cut in the 60-70s. The low crown angle will add to the lessening of the fire. But, we had a poster look at a stone with similar specs and the ASET and actual stone were quite lovely. You might ask for the ASET to see how the cutting style reflects in the light return.

I think this is worth asking for an ASET as a next step. Also, ask GOG to show you this H next to a G and an I in a single photo from the top and from the side. That should help you with the color question.

upload_2019-5-12_7-6-12.png

L

lydial

The picture in my avatar is a 1.58 60/60 H. Angles were 32.5/41.2. I recently sold it for trade in for a CBI but as the owner of one I was not a fan after a while because of the lack of fire. It was always white and bright though.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
If that’s the HCA for that stone it’s obviously not a bad one. With that said, it isn’t recommended to use stones with such a low HCA score for rings, those scores are better for pendants and earrings. I didn’t care for my “60-60” and got rid of it for my current stone with a small table and high crown so I could have the fire. To be fair, mine had a horrible HCA. But visually I didn’t like the look of the the large table. As for the color, you would need to see photos.
And here’s my biggest issue with that stone: If you look at the listing, it appears to me that this is a virtual stone, that they don’t have it in-house so they aren’t going to be able to tell you anything about it more than you see in the listing. The photos are not of that stone. There are a million other diamonds out there... what is it that drew you to it?

Elise_k

Rough_Rock
I think you won't know if your color sensitivity is applicable to this stone until you actually see it. H is the color where most sensitive folks detect color, because H is a band of a range of colors. If this H is closer to a G you may feel different than if it is a H near an I. But, the larger the stone, the more color is present to detect. Even in a very well-cut stone, although stone with loads of fire can make it hard to see color (except from the side).

As to the inclusions, SI1 with clouds in both the plot and notes have a greater chance of being problematic. But, that is not set in "stone". A diamond is really the sum of all parts.

Being a 60/60 style will tend to make have more white light return vs. fire. I like 60/60s, but that is not the look everyone wants. It is probably the type of stone you see on most folks with round stones that were cut in the 60-70s. The low crown angle will add to the lessening of the fire. But, we had a poster look at a stone with similar specs and the ASET and actual stone were quite lovely. You might ask for the ASET to see how the cutting style reflects in the light return.

I think this is worth asking for an ASET as a next step. Also, ask GOG to show you this H next to a G and an I in a single photo from the top and from the side. That should help you with the color question.

upload_2019-5-12_7-6-12.png

Thank you so much! It’s hard to get an idea of what a 60/60 stone would look like in comparison to a Tolk. Theoretically, I know I should expect more white brilliance and less fire, but hard to know what I’d prefer in real life.

I will ask for the ASET image if you think it’s worthwhile looking into this stone further!

Thanks again!

Elise_k

Rough_Rock
If that’s the HCA for that stone it’s obviously not a bad one. With that said, it isn’t recommended to use stones with such a low HCA score for rings, those scores are better for pendants and earrings. I didn’t care for my “60-60” and got rid of it for my current stone with a small table and high crown so I could have the fire. To be fair, mine had a horrible HCA. But visually I didn’t like the look of the the large table. As for the color, you would need to see photos.
And here’s my biggest issue with that stone: If you look at the listing, it appears to me that this is a virtual stone, that they don’t have it in-house so they aren’t going to be able to tell you anything about it more than you see in the listing. The photos are not of that stone. There are a million other diamonds out there... what is it that drew you to it?

Honestly, it looks like it has a potential to be a good stone and it seems to be in a good price range for the size/diameter! Am I wrong? Do you think I can find a better stone in the similar price range??

Elise_k

Rough_Rock
The picture in my avatar is a 1.58 60/60 H. Angles were 32.5/41.2. I recently sold it for trade in for a CBI but as the owner of one I was not a fan after a while because of the lack of fire. It was always white and bright though.
Thanks for the input! It still looks beautiful in your avatar! I hope you’re enjoying your CBI!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results