shape
carat
color
clarity
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help reading the GIA/SARIN/images

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by nholagi, Nov 8, 2018.

1. nholagi
    Rough_Rock

by nholagi » Nov 8, 2018
    Hi everyone, I've been looking for my ring (yes! the boyfriend let me pick and choose within our budget!!) and came down to this one.
    1.4c, XXX, I, VS2
    I'm not an expert in this as I'm learning as I go. Could you guys help to see if this get a pass? I look at the images and I cant tell if it's good or not.
    Many Thanks.

upload_2018-11-8_16-33-45.png
    upload_2018-11-8_16-34-55.png
    upload_2018-11-8_16-32-54.png

2. nholagi
    Rough_Rock

by nholagi » Nov 8, 2018
    and then there is also this one
    1.51c XXX I VS2, no other report and pic available.

which one of these 2 will be a better choice?
    thanks.

upload_2018-11-8_16-45-29.png
    upload_2018-11-8_16-45-52.png

upload_2018-11-8_16-46-20.png

3. crbl999
    Shiny_Rock

by crbl999 » Nov 8, 2018
    I would pass on both of these stones. The first stone has light leakage under the table. Look for a stone with these proportions:

CA: 34-35
    PA: 40.6-41
    Table: 54-57
    Depth: 60-62.3
    Girdle: Thin to medium, thin to slightly thick; avoid extremes like very thin, thick, very thick

CA and PA should compliment one another. A 34 CA goes well with a 41 PA and a 35 CA goes well with a 40.6 PA.

Are you looking to purchase a stone online or are these from a local store? If you are open to purchasing a stone online, we can help you find one from a trusted vendor. Post your budget and preferences for size, color, and clarity.

4. lovedogs
    Ideal_Rock

by lovedogs » Nov 8, 2018
    I echo @crbl999 that I wouldn't go with either of these.

nholagi likes this.
  5. Lovesparklesparle
    Shiny_Rock

by Lovesparklesparle » Nov 8, 2018
    No to both from me. But if I had to pick stone #2. #1 is a bit of a wreck I’m sorry. The lovely people here will help you find something amazing though so chin up!

nholagi likes this.
  6. bmfang
    Brilliant_Rock

by bmfang » Nov 8, 2018
    Pass on both for me as well. @crbl999 has summed up my concerns very well.

nholagi likes this.
  7. nholagi
    Rough_Rock

by nholagi » Nov 8, 2018
    Oh what a bummer for me. I work with some online diamond consultants and they recommended A fews for me. Which I jotted down and then work the company's Consultant. It’s such a tiring search. Anyway I was using this forum to check info and I’m glad I posted my question here. Are you guys working for a specific online retailers?

8. crbl999
    Shiny_Rock

by crbl999 » Nov 8, 2018
    Pricescope members who are part of the trade have a Trade Badge on their posts. They are not able to recommend or comment on diamonds that are being considered.

The rest of us are prosumers. Consumers like you but have above average knowledge of diamonds. We don't get paid by anyone or receive a commission for stones we recommend. We do it for free and we love helping people spend their money on amazing diamonds.

9. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

OoohShiny, lovedogs and sledge like this.
  10. nholagi
    Rough_Rock

by nholagi » Nov 8, 2018
    Omg that’s so amazing that there are users like this. I thought everyone getting commissioned. So who should I reach out? Should I make a new post for help?
    Some ppl did tell me what I’m looking for is hard to find and unrealistic becuz I don’t have a lot of budget for What I want.
    I was looking for Around 1-4 to 1.5 carat size. Round Brilliant. Gia. Eye clean. Triple X within the perfect proportions (which I found many different versions of it depending on where I found the articles). H-I color.the least inclusion the better. Vs1,vs2. Is1. Has the best sparkle and don’t look dull in day light. Pretty much I’m trying to find the best diamond with my budget n We want to spend no more than 10k including the setting.
    Now. Do you think I’m unrealistic still with what I’m looking for?

11. crbl999
    Shiny_Rock

by crbl999 » Nov 8, 2018
    Depending on what kind of setting you want I think it is possible. Create a new thread with the above info and you will get some recommendations on stones.

ID Jewelry is often recommended when on a budget. If you go this route Yekutiel is who you want to talk to and be sure to request Pricescope quality.

lovedogs and nholagi like this.
  12. Wewechew
    Brilliant_Rock

lovedogs likes this.
  13. sledge
    Ideal_Rock

by sledge » Nov 8, 2018
    Echo the others. Pass on the first two. Proportions are not complimentary.

A quick search reveals a few options in the $9k or less range. Not sure the type of setting you want or that cost, but obviously that would affect the money you can spend on a diamond.

GIA XXX, 1.42ct I VS1 @ $8,370

https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-1.42-carat-i-vs1-yd4264196

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1....1&b=8.871&utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

Yadav for the lower price. Adiamor for the actual image and video. If you decide to buy from Adiamor, have them price match the Yadav number.

Very promising. 56 table, 61.4 depth, 35 crown, 40.6 pavilion 75 LGF. HCA score of 0.8. If interested, put on reserve and request an idealscope and/or ASET image.

GIA XXX, WF ES, 1.39ct I VS2 @ $9,329 :love:
    https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4001980.htm

Pushing the limits of depth, but otherwise the proportions are just freakin' amazing! 55 table, 62.4 depth, 34.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion, 75 LGF's. All the idealscope, ASET and H&A images look great! HCA score of 1.4 to boot, but the images already prove to us it's a performer.

WF is a great vendor and this stone gets you in their upgrade program that only requires you spend $1 more on a future diamond to get full value of this diamond towards the new purchase. Great customer service and excellent product!

SimoneDi, lovedogs and crbl999 like this.
  14. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Dancing Fire » Nov 8, 2018
    Ooops!.

15. nholagi
    Rough_Rock

by nholagi » Nov 8, 2018
    Thanks. I found a setting I like. It’s a classic pave cathedral setting and it’s around $1200.
    I’ve been reading WF has the best diamond however they are limited to waranty or something like that to a year only, so I wonder what happen if the setting get loose stone or if I need to tighten or cleaning... then what or where do I go?

16. nholagi
    Rough_Rock

by nholagi » Nov 8, 2018
    It’s out of my price range and I have never heard of this website before...

17. nholagi
    Rough_Rock

by nholagi » Nov 8, 2018
    New thread created thanks.

18. nholagi
    Rough_Rock

by nholagi » Nov 8, 2018
    I’ve seen yadav frm rarecarat. Are both yadav and Adiamor good company to buy diamonda from?

19. Kaycee2018
    Shiny_Rock

by Kaycee2018 » Nov 8, 2018
    My diamond is from Adiamor. They are reputable. All the vendors that are recommended here will all be reputable.

20. sledge
    Ideal_Rock

by sledge » Nov 8, 2018
    You would always have the option to mail your ring back to WF as needed. They truly are good people that treat their customers right.

I bought my fiancee's stone from BGD which is also in Houston near WF. I had the setting custom designed in Los Angeles and then shipped to me across the country. I know DK and BGD will take care of me for serious issues but for routine cleaning, etc I visit a local Diamonds Direct and the manager is always happy to see me and talk shop. This far, they've not charged me for anything.

I haven't personally bought from either but others have. Both seem fair from what I've heard. The trade in programs and customer service levels are typically better with the super ideal vendors like HPD, WF and BGD but prices are normally cheaper though virtual inventory dealers like Adiamor and Yadav. Kind of depends what's most important to you.

21. nholagi
    Rough_Rock

by nholagi » Nov 9, 2018
    I have been trying to use these 3 charts that I found....plus now the one you have above... why there are so many different ones and which is the correct one?
    upload_2018-11-9_9-36-2.png
    upload_2018-11-9_9-36-18.png
    upload_2018-11-9_9-36-36.png

22. crbl999
    Shiny_Rock

by crbl999 » Nov 9, 2018
    You will find many charts with recommended proportions that are different because there many proportions that compliment one another to produce a great performing diamond. When I'm searching for a non super ideal diamond I will use a narrower set of proportions first to see what is available. I will then open up the parameters if needed (ie a 35.5 CA can work well with a 40.6 PA). Doesn't matter which set of proportions you follow, I always recommend confirming performance with Ideal Scope or ASET images.

sledge likes this.
  23. nholagi
    Rough_Rock

by nholagi » Nov 9, 2018
    @sledge what adiamor doestn have ASET or idealscope images available.... hmmm

24. stonewell
    Brilliant_Rock

by stonewell » Nov 9, 2018
    People vary in their preferences so they will have varying recommendations on the range to search for. You’ll find the folks here generally have a tighter range of proportions that focus on what’s considered to be ideal.

One bit of critical information that’s missing from all of these is the that you need to pair up the crown angle (CA) and pavilion angle (PA) appropriately. They should have an inverse relationship to one another. So, the higher the CA, the lower the PA should be and vice versa.

Regardless of what you find, getting Idealscope and ASET images are essential to confirm that the stone you’re considering is cut with consistent symmetry and doesn’t present any areas of light leakage.

OoohShiny, sledge and lovedogs like this.
  25. nholagi
    Rough_Rock

by nholagi » Nov 9, 2018
    @crbl999 I've been searching for diamond within those numbers... so apparently going with just numbers are not enough... so now I'm confused (newbie sorry) the proportions help to get the best diamond that give the best perform, and then the ASET images tell you how it actually does? I'm now running around thinking... beside the 4C, what am I really looking for in a diamond?

26. crbl999
    Shiny_Rock

by crbl999 » Nov 9, 2018
    Yes. I use proportions to narrow my selection. Then I confirm the diamonds performance by requesting an ASET or Ideal Scope image. Some vendors are able to provide these images and some do not. You will have to request these images from the vendor.

lovedogs likes this.
  27. crbl999
    Shiny_Rock

by crbl999 » Nov 9, 2018
    @nholagi Have you checked out these stones recommended by @sledge ? These are some good choices to start with.

lovedogs likes this.
  28. nholagi
    Rough_Rock

by nholagi » Nov 9, 2018
    @crbl999 I'm checking on the one frm WF, adiamor said they don't have the info and said it would take a few days to request and vendor may or maynot be able to provide it....and the chat agent is not very responsive.......

sledge likes this.
  29. sledge
    Ideal_Rock

by sledge » Nov 9, 2018
    It's a very real possibility they won't.

Adiamor, Yadav and countless others are what we call virtual inventory retailers. This means they don't actually keep their diamonds in house, but rather use suppliers (generally overseas) that other retailers also use. This is why you will see the same diamond listed on multiple retailer websites.

As such, the retailer is at the mercy of the supplier's capabilities and also their own individual agreements with each supplier. For instance, Adiamor may tell suppliers A, B & C if you want to sell me diamonds I demand X% cut from retail price (so they can mark up & make a profit) and I want ASET, idealscope and H&A images upon request. Yadav may talk to the same 3 suppliers and not include the requirement for the images, or perhaps the suppliers will push back because Yadav doesn't buy as many diamonds and not discount the diamonds as much and/or be as willing to provide images, etc that makes their life harder.

The above is just fictitious examples of what COULD happen. The reality is each retailer and supplier have their own agreements in-place and some of that is based on negotiation skills, volume and equipment/capabilities of the suppliers.

The problem remains what if the retailer doesn't have the image. This is where you have to make a gut call based on the data you have available to review. Many times we can tell by pictures or videos how well cut a stone is. The images are just a nice confirmation. Also, I place more emphasis on the images when you start pushing the proportions. For instance, a stone with 55 table, 34.5 crown & 40.8 pavilion and good video would give me enough warm fuzzies to move forward with the purchase and use my own scopes to test at home when it arrived. On the flip side a diamond with a 58 table, 36 crown & 40.6 pavilion and no video would not give me enough warm fuzzies to move forward and I would keep looking for an alternate stone if images weren't available.

Of the two diamonds I posted above, it seems probable the first stone will have good images because of the complimentary proportions. I would push both Adiamor & Yadav for the ASET & idealscope images but would be willing to move forward if neither could provide. While waiting on the diamond to arrive I would buy me an ASET and H&A scope so I could test light performance and symmetry when the stone arrived. Assuming my eyes liked the stone and my scopes provided confirmation I would keep the diamond. If my eyes and/or the images didn't confirm awesomeness I would return for a refund and start over.

IMO, this is what makes buying from virtual inventory so frustrating. Many times you are forced to make a decision with limited data and then have to be prepared to return & start over. Some people don't have the patience or desire to do this.

The other stone I listed at WF has gorgeous proportions and all the images to confirm it's a true performer. Consequently you know exactly what you are buying and the risk/frustration level is less. Also, WF has that diamond in their vault in Houston. This means something to me and many others but it does come at a greater expense. Of course, I could argue you get other benefits as well but you have to weigh those benefits and see if they justify the price increase.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Bingo! It's all about hitting within the ideal proportion ranges, but also being complimentary! For instance, a 35/40.6 works very well but a 35/40.9 is a hit & miss.

The proportions is just math & angles that help us get in the right vicinity. The additional images help us confirm what we believe those proportions tell us. Essentially what happens when your angles are off is light leaks out of the diamond. Those images show that leakage. When the angles and proportions are right, light enters the diamond bounces around and comes back out making it sparkle like crazy.

It's a little more complicated than that, but that is a very, very basic run down.

Here is a general diagram that shows how light can enter and what happens and how that relates to the performance images we are talking about.

[​IMG]

kipari, bmfang and OoohShiny like this.
  30. nholagi
    Rough_Rock