shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help pick an oval!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys, I was wondering if you could give my your opinions. I''m nervous about buying an oval sight unseen. This is what I''ve been looking for:
Shape: Oval
Cut: Ideal (I''ve been using 55-60 Table% and 59-63 Depth% as guidelines)
Carat: around 1.5 ct or 8.5x6.5 mm
Color: G-J (faces up white, I don''t mind warmth but I don''t want it to look dirty yellow)
Clarity: VS1-SI2 (eye clean, not mind clean)
L:W ratio: I prefer ovals closer to the low end of the 1.33-1.66 spectrum. I''m avoiding long skinny ovals.

Here''s what I found:

Option #1
James Allen 1.52 Ct J-VS1 Ideal Cut Oval Diamond
James Allen Common Prong Setting

Option #2
Whiteflash 1.51 Ct GIA Certified Oval Cut Diamond
Whiteflash Petite Open Cathedral

Any red flags? Preferences? Other possible candidates? The reason that I''m concentrating on Whiteflash and James Allen is because they have settings that I like. For simplicity''s sake I''d like to purchase the setting and diamond from the same vendor so that I can have the ring set and shipped. I called both Whiteflash and James Allen and asked for ASET images. James Allen will send me an idealscope image which I will post when I receive it, and I also asked that they visually inspect it to give me their opinion on the stone''s appearance. Whiteflash does not have the diamond in their possession so I would have to be more certain of their stone before I received more information. Both settings might require customization if I want it to sit flush, so I am also waiting on estimates.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2009 1:17:05 PM
Author:Honey228
Hi guys, I was wondering if you could give my your opinions. I'm nervous about buying an oval sight unseen. This is what I've been looking for:
Shape: Oval
Cut: Ideal (I've been using 55-60 Table% and 59-63 Depth% as guidelines)
Carat: around 1.5 ct or 8.5x6.5 mm
Color: G-J (faces up white, I don't mind warmth but I don't want it to look dirty yellow)
Clarity: VS1-SI2 (eye clean, not mind clean)
L:W ratio: I prefer ovals closer to the low end of the 1.33-1.66 spectrum. I'm avoiding long skinny ovals.

Here's what I found:

Option #1
James Allen 1.52 Ct J-VS1 Ideal Cut Oval Diamond
James Allen Common Prong Setting

Option #2
Whiteflash 1.51 Ct GIA Certified Oval Cut Diamond
Whiteflash Petite Open Cathedral

Any red flags? Preferences? Other possible candidates? The reason that I'm concentrating on Whiteflash and James Allen is because they have settings that I like. For simplicity's sake I'd like to purchase the setting and diamond from the same vendor so that I can have the ring set and shipped. I called both Whiteflash and James Allen and asked for ASET images. James Allen will send me an idealscope image which I will post when I receive it, and I also asked that they visually inspect it to give me their opinion on the stone's appearance. Whiteflash does not have the diamond in their possession so I would have to be more certain of their stone before I received more information. Both settings might require customization if I want it to sit flush, so I am also waiting on estimates.
The JA diamond looks promising, get them to check if the oval shows much of a bow tie as I can see a dark area across the middle of the stone, it might be fine but best to check if it does show a distinct bow tie and to what extent. The WF diamond is an unknown quantity as it is on the virtual listing, maybe they can get more info on it from their supplier, otherwise they would have to call it in.

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Here''s the GIA report for Option #2.

1.51 J SI1.jpg

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Here is the Idealscope for Option #1. Unfortunately, I am not very good at interpreting idealscopes for ovals, so I''m hoping that someone here will be able to help me out. I''m assuming that the dark band in the middle is the bow tie you were talking about, Lorelei? (Thank you for responding, btw.) Here is what the JA gemologist had to say about the stone: "great clarity, a great shape, however it does appear slightly warm due to it''s "J" color. This is not to say that it is extremely yellow, it just has a hint of color. The bow-tie is moderate, with minor darkening, an average size and tone for the shape. The IS image shows the minor bow-tie effect with more definition. There is minimal light leakage for the shape and a sizeable spread of vibrant red. All and all, this is definitely a beautiful oval worth your consideration."

I think that I''d expect warmth in a J and some bowtie in an oval, but the question is to what extent will bug me? I think that if it''s a sparkly, great cut stone then those factors wouldn''t bother me so much. And I''ve heard Pricescopers say that James Allen will give honest opinions, so it doesn''t seem too sugar coated. Can you guys tell? Would you pass or give it a chance?

1195384.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes that is the bow tie Honey. It is a good image and the oval looks good but the bow tie does appear to be a bit prominent in the image, however in person it might not be. Bear in mind we are discussing something which in reality is a bit bigger than a pencil eraser. It depends on you, for example I have seen pics of Victoria Beckham's original engagement marquise and it has a very distinct bow tie, but the diamond is beautiful. I have a pear which has a slight bow tie but it isn't that noticeable.

I think it sounds promising from the info given, Julianna the gemologist has a good rep. Maybe you could arrange to have it sent to an appraiser in your area to take a look in person?

The slight warmth would not worry me, how do you feel that it won't be icy white? Personally I love diamonds with a hint of warmth, in fact I prefer them but this is a very personal choice.

Ribbon Ring

Rough_Rock
I just bought an oval. These two each have their pluses and minuses. Ditto on the bowtie, though some people don''t mind a bit of a bowtie on an oval as long as its not too big. On the other stone make sure it is eye clean ... and make sure everyone has the same idea of eye clean. Inclusions and blemishes are more noticeable in an oval cut than a round or princess, but less than cuts like an emerald.

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Woohoo, thanks for the input guys!

Lorelei, the fact that it won''t be icy white doesn''t bother me in the least. I''m not even sure I can even tell the difference between icy white and warm white, but the increased cost for ICY WHITE DIAMONDS doesn''t seem worth it to me. I did see one J in person that looked too yellow to me, but that was at Jared''s and I think an IGI graded stone.

As far as the bowtie... I don''t recall seeing an oval without a bowtie (again, at Jared''s). But I don''t recall being particularly bothered by the fact that I noticed bow ties. I knew that bow ties were "bad", but I think I was more mentally bothered by it than aesthetically. I think that it''d have to be a gaping black hole in the middle of the diamond for it to really bother me. I think I''m easily won over by the sparkliness, so I can forgive some shortcomings. So I really don''t know why I''m being so fretful about this process all of sudden now that the end is nigh.

Hey Ribbon Ring, did you post pictures of your oval yet? I think that I''m leaning much more towards JA than WF at this point. I don''t know enough about the stone and the cost of their setting is more than I expected (I''d need some customization for the bands to sit flush).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2009 4:30:39 PM
Author: Honey228
Woohoo, thanks for the input guys!

Lorelei, the fact that it won''t be icy white doesn''t bother me in the least. I''m not even sure I can even tell the difference between icy white and warm white, but the increased cost for ICY WHITE DIAMONDS doesn''t seem worth it to me. I did see one J in person that looked too yellow to me, but that was at Jared''s and I think an IGI graded stone.
ROFL!!!! I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE TYPED THAT IN CAPS!!!
9.gif

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
31.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2009 5:17:49 PM
31.gif
face20.gif

THOSE WERE THE DAYS!

maybe I can frighten storm again.....
Evil_smile.gif

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
By making him think she''s back? There would be blood on his keyboard from where he was banging his forehead. Heh, it''s kinda sad how long I''ve lurked here considering I''m only getting the ring now.

I think we''re going to go ahead and order the JA ring. We''ll receive it, see if I like it, and then send it back to JA to either return it or have them cast the matching wedding band. Future Fiance doesn''t have the proposal planned yet and he doesn''t want to drop to one knee when the ring comes in the mail, but it''d drive me up the wall knowing he was holding the ring hostage. I''ll post pics when we get it. I hope you continue to give me your opinion, Lorelei and thank you so much!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/22/2009 8:15:10 AM
By making him think she''s back? There would be blood on his keyboard from where he was banging his forehead. Heh, it''s kinda sad how long I''ve lurked here considering I''m only getting the ring now.

I think we''re going to go ahead and order the JA ring. We''ll receive it, see if I like it, and then send it back to JA to either return it or have them cast the matching wedding band. Future Fiance doesn''t have the proposal planned yet and he doesn''t want to drop to one knee when the ring comes in the mail, but it''d drive me up the wall knowing he was holding the ring hostage. I''ll post pics when we get it. I hope you continue to give me your opinion, Lorelei and thank you so much!
Hehehe! There would indeed be blood on his keyboard!

Keep us posted as to how you get on and of course - I will be glad to help in anyway I can!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results