shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me with identifying these green stones

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I recently bought this ring for my mother. I showed her a picture of the ring before buying it and she fell in love, saying that it looks like an animal with the wonky diamonds and dark forest green stones :mrgreen: She wanted something different and this definitely fulfills that requirement. However, do you gemstone experts have any guesses about these stones? It is not crucial for her to identify them - she will love it anyways - but I´d love to learn more. I googled and found garnets, peridots, topaz, tourmalines and apatites roughly the same color, am I anywhere close? I guess they could be glass too.

The green stones are about 1cm wide according to the seller. The setting is stamped 14 carat white gold and diamonds are tested real, measuring about 2mm.

mamas green ring.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, won’t be garnet, peridot, apatite and unlikely to be topaz. Not the right tone of green for those gems.
Could be green tourmaline or even green quartz (also called Prasiolite). Could also be synthetic “something”.
A half decent jeweller should be able to take a look and give you a better idea,
Nevertheless, a really lovely ring and quite distinctive and interesting, sort of a plump marquis cut.

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much @Bron357 ! That is already very helpful, especially knowing your expertise =)2 I had the ring sent directly to my mom who lives in a little town in Finland so it won’t get inspected anytime soon unfortunately. Perhaps when she comes visit us. It was just 100 euros so whatever the stones are, the ring will be loved.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Or even chrome diopside too.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A vote for tourmaline here.

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you very much @Burmesedaze and @Bluegemz ! :)) I found a dark green chrome diopside that looks quite similar in color as well as a dark green tourmaline:

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels...de-2-66-carat-dark-yellowish-green-no-reserve

http://leesgems.com/product/chrome-green-tourmaline-1-90-carat/

So I guess it's hard to tell just by the pictures which one it is. But thank you so much everyone for your help! I will let my mum know that they are most likely either tourmalines or chrome diopsides or then synthetics.

Here are some more pictures from the seller, the stones go quite dark when viewed from the side:

mamman sormus 5.jpg mamman sormus 4.jpg
mamman sormus 3.jpg

Attachments

• mamman sormus 3.jpg
    mamman sormus 3.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 9

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re most welcome! It’s a lovely ring! I imagine that It will be a joy to wear.:)

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It could be moldavite. That is volcanic glass that supposedly comes from outer space or something (not to be confused with pallasite, which is extraterrestrial peridot). Every time I read about it, I see different information. Someone with more knowledge can correct me or chime in.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results