shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me with halo reset

Halo without or with side-stones?

• 1) Hexagonal halo (with a plain shank)

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • 2) Hexagonal halo with side stones (w/plain shank)

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • 3) Something else. Please describe or add picture.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies,

Please vote on the poll below for my reset for my 0.5 carat diamond (see avatar). Both pictures show settings with a half carat diamond, similar to my stone. I have a size 4.5 finger. This is my 2nd reset, and I want to get it right. I like angular Art Deco setting with color contrast, and classic settings (like plain three stones.)

I am planning on a WG plain shank, two tone halo, with a YG halo set with FY diamond melee. The center will be set with WG prongs. The question is, do I do a halo, or a halo with side stones? I will have millegrain on the YG halo

I will wear this with a millegrained WG eternity anniversary band, or with YG half dome wedding band (plain). Please see below.

Thank you!
Preg

dover_yellowoctagonhalo2.jpg

jbeg_octagonalhalohalfcarat_yellow.jpg

bevk_dscn1922.jpg

dscn1909crop2.jpg

smurfett_333

Rough_Rock
From purely and aesthetic standpoint I love the look of the halo with side stones, lovely!!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I like it best without the side stones. Less to distract the eye from the pretty, striking halo & center stone.

--- Laurie

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are very pretty and you can't go wrong with either, but I really love the version with the side stones. I just think it makes the ring look a little more finished and adds a bit more finger coverage (and bling!). Really lovely!

I'm excited for you preg - IIRC you've been planning this for a while - it's great to see your reset getting underway! :appl:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Smurfett, Laurie and Junebug. I've gotten over the failed reset finally. My heart likes a vintage look, so I am going to try to go for a vendor who has experience with creating different settings, including vintage looking ones. I feel like if I try to go modern, I will get tired of it, and change my mind. I just cannot mentally do another reset.

Junebug, you're remembering correctly that this has been in the works for while.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
My preference is the second setting - the hexagon with the halo yellow halo and side stones, but with a plain shank. If you are able to get the same filigree undermount --- that would be awesome! I love that setting and I could see that with your eternity ring being a perfect combination!

Enjoy this process - there are so many options and decisions but once you decide on "THE ONE"... it just can't come soon enough!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I'm surprised that it's 7 for 7 for the sidestones. I was really torn, and this feedback helps a lot. I really like three stone settings, vintage, and halos for larger stones, but was concerned that a half-carat halo would mean not enough finger coverage. The sidestones fixes the coverage issues, and it's good to know that aesthetically it works. It's my first time considering it.

Enerchi, thanks for the encouragement. The setting is actually from jbEG, and I colored the halo in yellow in Photoshop. In real life, I would want the halo in YG. I like the filigree, but I think I have to go with a cathedral shank to allow for my bands to sit flush.

Laurie, did you mean to vote for the halo only?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the second one with side stones. The first one looks abrupt, while the second design flows better, having an almost tapered look. The double halo is nice but requires melees down the shank otherwise might also look unfinished.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Nielseel and Chrono for your comments. I'll have to think about the double halo. I've never felt an impulsive "yes" to them as a ring for everyday.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1360465325|3376466 said:
Thanks, Nielseel and Chrono for your comments. I'll have to think about the double halo. I've never felt an impulsive "yes" to them as a ring for everyday.

understandable,got to do what feels right!
i always liked this this ritani, and i know they can do something in two tone, but not sure about the melee, but ive seen stuff they do with yellow melee
http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/vintage-hexagonal-halo-vaulted-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-18kt-white-gold/4610

and they have rings on there with millgrian, so im sure they could add it ( and subtract the melee on the band)

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
oooh - I am always drawn towards hexagonal and octagonal halos for some reason :love:

your pics remind me of this one I have had saved for ages

(not sure how the yellow diamonds would work in the halo though)

hexbaghalo.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
My eyes were immediately drawn to the first YG halo with FY melee. There's something about the richness of the high karat yellow metal + FY melee creating a contrast against the white diamond that makes it pop even more. If that makes sense.

This is going to sound crazy but a double FY melee halo would be exquisite. :love:

But the choice is yours, its your preference that matters most, as well as what your budget allows. :))

I can't wait to see what you come up with!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Heliotrope, I just realized that I mean octagon halo above, though I also like hexagonal halos like the one you posted. There's something about that angular shape that I love.

Platinum rock, thanks for the suggestion. I do love colored diamonds. I'm surprised by how sparkly they are because I'm used to colored stones being more subdued.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Preg I haven't replied earlier because I've been struggling with what to say. There was something at the back of my mind that I couldn't verbalise until today when I revisited the thread! First thing I would say is that if you're going to halo with yellow diamonds, please can I suggest that you use nice pastel yellows rather than "in yer face" yellows! For example, the first photo you posted has what I call "in yer face" yellows and it detracts from the ring I think. Your eye goes only to the halo. With the second photo you posted, I really like the delicate yellow.

As your central stone is under 1ct, I would also suggest a double halo. I'm sure you've seen both of mine that use yellow and white diamonds in a halo so won't bother posting them again but it's a great way of making a smaller centre stone look larger. I do wear both of my rings and they're a bit blingy for everyday but I do wear them anyway!!!!

What sort of a lok are you going for? Substantial? Petite?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1360502181|3376631 said:
Preg I haven't replied earlier because I've been struggling with what to say. There was something at the back of my mind that I couldn't verbalise until today when I revisited the thread! First thing I would say is that if you're going to halo with yellow diamonds, please can I suggest that you use nice pastel yellows rather than "in yer face" yellows! For example, the first photo you posted has what I call "in yer face" yellows and it detracts from the ring I think. Your eye goes only to the halo. With the second photo you posted, I really like the delicate yellow.

As your central stone is under 1ct, I would also suggest a double halo. I'm sure you've seen both of mine that use yellow and white diamonds in a halo so won't bother posting them again but it's a great way of making a smaller centre stone look larger. I do wear both of my rings and they're a bit blingy for everyday but I do wear them anyway!!!!

What sort of a lok are you going for? Substantial? Petite?
Ive ner seen them ld id love to see them

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
LD, thanks for your advice. I'm okay with petite because that's the size of the stone, and I don't think I want more vertical finger coverage than 1 halo (but that's what I say now :) ). My favorite rings are 3 stones, in which the center is 6-7 mm, and I think 1 halo will get me there. I love gemstones, but I am not a big jewelry wearer, so I think if I double haloed, I would end up on being a special occasion ring, and I really want a daily wear ring. For a blingy RHR, I would definitely double halo this. Right now, I only wear my plain yellow band or my eternity band.

Thanks for pointing out the intensity of the yellow. I agree, it is a little distracting, and it will already be in 18K YG. I'll go for more pastel.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
LD, another question if I may. What do you think overall about the halo with sidestones? I'm surprised that it's so popular. I just happened to find it on jbEG the other day. I haven't had enough time to figure out if that's really what I want. I was totally going to go with just the plain halo, but I agree with the comments that it seems so abrupt the way it ends (because of its small size, and no taper to the shank).

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1360511759|3376695 said:
LD, another question if I may. What do you think overall about the halo with sidestones? I'm surprised that it's so popular. I just happened to find it on jbEG the other day. I haven't had enough time to figure out if that's really what I want. I was totally going to go with just the plain halo, but I agree with the comments that it seems so abrupt the way it ends (because of its small size, and no taper to the shank).

Actually I like it both ways. The thing that I couldn't get past in the photos was the yellow (but I've covered that)!!!! I think that for what you want, simple is the way forward. If you do go for the side stones then I don't think you could pair it easily with the eternity band because it wouldn't sit right. Actually on that note, if you do go for the halo then you'll have to make sure that it's high enough to slide another band underneath it to sit flush to the band. If you then wanted to bling it up in the future, you could add another eternity band to the other side.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi pregcurious,

I'm so glad you are going ahead with your ring! I have to say that my immediate choice was for the first ring but maybe with smaller halo melee. For me, the halo is too large for your stone and that is why it overpowers it. I think you can still have the strong color [FY] if the halo itself is smaller. My old ring had a FY halo but whith smaller stones. Of course this doesn't help if you want more finger coverage. :lol:

_3628.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, LD,

Catmom, I love your ring! I've save it in my "ring" folder. Can you tell me what point melee you used, and the dimensions of your center stone?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1360530567|3376887 said:
Thanks, LD,

Catmom, I love your ring! I've save it in my "ring" folder. Can you tell me what point melee you used, and the dimensions of your center stone?

I forgot to ask, what color melee did you use? FY?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1360530567|3376887 said:
Thanks, LD,

Thank you!

I don't remember the size of the melee off the top of my head, I'll have to look it up. The center diamond is .82 and the halo is with FY stones.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Catmom - I love your halo as well. It's strange because even those are FY they look like a gorgeous yellow and not "in yer face" brassy looking like the ones in the first photo of this thread. Maybe it's because of the metal you used combined with the size of the halo - whatever it is, it's subtle but effective and looks lovely.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My preference is for a softer yellow too, even though I love "in your face colour" at other times. Perhaps it is the softer colouration that allows the sharper lines of the design work better with a round shaped stone.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1360580198|3377344 said:
Catmom - I love your halo as well. It's strange because even those are FY they look like a gorgeous yellow and not "in yer face" brassy looking like the ones in the first photo of this thread. Maybe it's because of the metal you used combined with the size of the halo - whatever it is, it's subtle but effective and looks lovely.

Thank you LD. I've found that like all fancies, they can range in color in each designation. I happen to like the yellows closer to the FLY range vs the vivid range. I like a softer yellow as well. The halo is set in YG and the shank is white gold.

pregcurious, the center diamond is 6.03 x 6.08 and the FYs are 1 pointers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results