shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help me with diamond spec!!

Fktleh922

Rough_Rock
EBECEBF2-67B4-4A85-81F6-C6364D21F2BC.jpeg I reserved a diamond with following spec. Please tell me if its great/super ideal cut maximum lighting performance (brilliance, fire and scintillation)

Its 1.50 carat GIA certified
HCA: 1.5

Table: 56%
Depth: 61.8%
Crown Angle: 35.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.6
Crown Height: 15.5
Pavilion Height: 42.5
Gridle: 3.5
Lower gridle lenth : 75%
Star facet: 45%

I am worry about crown and pavilion angle ratio, crown height and pavilion height ratio, and star facet being <50%

Do you think is it okay..?.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pretty sure these specs can work. Did you run it through the HCA? Obviously, GIA rounds so that needs to be taken into consideration and any additional info (images, pics, videos, etc) will help. But should be worth considering.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty sure these specs can work. Did you run it through the HCA? Obviously, GIA rounds so that needs to be taken into consideration and any additional info (images, pics, videos, etc) will help. But should be worth considering.
Op said it was 1.5 on HCA. I agree that those specs seem good. Can you get advanced images (IS/ASET) ?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The specs looks fine to me. Like LD said above... "Can you get IS, ASET and H&A images ?

Fktleh922

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of you who replied! Um im very new to this business, do you all mind if i ask what are IS, ASET and H &A? So those specs will bring out that hearts and arrow thing on the top of the diamond and have excellence in sparkles? She is all about sparkle. Like big time.. and its from bluenile so i can bring the stock number or links to show 360 image thing.. honestly they all look great to me.. but never know how it will look in real life. Also if you mind me asking, do yall think ASTOR cut is worth it? They are the only one that comes with Gemex certification and way more expensive. Thought if i find the super ideal cut within triple ex gia diamond, it can be sparkle like astor cuts that they said

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It definitely has promise. Can we see a pic of it! Or a video?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful— it’s a yes from me

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, this is good too. I give you my blessing

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like big... arrows and I cannot lie. :lol:

Great specs. Vid looks good to my eyes. Stone is not a pure H&A stone as the optical symmetry doesn’t quite look right compared to say a WF, BGD VC H&A, CBI, but it’s a pretty darn good GIA XXX.

Ss52

Shiny_Rock
DD0806EA-1491-40F3-AD45-C5EF40936E71.png What a lovely diamond! Here’s where it scores on the AGS and GIA “ideal” categories. If I were in the market for a 1.5 ideal (not a super ideal), this would be it.

You might consider the benefit of a super-ideal and the $1 lifetime upgrade policy from Whiteflash and their stellar customer service. For a little less money is this 1.434 G Vs2, visually indistinguishable from the Blue Nile one. It’s the top of the “top of the line” of diamond vendors, along with HP Diamonds and Brian Gavin.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4055563.htm

Last edited:

Fktleh922

Rough_Rock
23871398-A956-47F4-A58E-49B20F494D52.jpeg 2181D64A-F4F5-4778-9101-C308556498BC.jpeg Thanks. So its good for the spec and money. But since its not pure H and A... do you think its gonna look noticeable? But I thought it said its excellence for its symmetry. So confusing haha. Here is another diamond. Which one should i buy?? This will be my last question guys!!!

Here is the link : https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD11583133

This one is similar spec but one grade down for its color and clarity due to being ASTOR stone. Idk which one would be best for its price and sparkle.
I am also attaching the two reports. One for GIA and one for Gemex. One thing I do jot understand is that why would this be very sparkle when it has lots of inclusions? Dont they not interfere with lights of angle snd stuffs??

Ss52

Shiny_Rock
23871398-A956-47F4-A58E-49B20F494D52.jpeg 2181D64A-F4F5-4778-9101-C308556498BC.jpeg Thanks. So its good for the spec and money. But since its not pure H and A... do you think its gonna look noticeable? But I thought it said its excellence for its symmetry. So confusing haha. Here is another diamond. Which one should i buy?? This will be my last question guys!!!

This one is similar spec but one grade down for its color and clarity due to being ASTOR stone. Idk which one would be best for its price and sparkle.
I am also attaching the two reports. One for GIA and one for Gemex. One thing I do jot understand is that why would this be very sparkle when it has lots of inclusions? Dont they not interfere with lights of angle snd stuffs??

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember that what looks like "lots of inclusions" on a super zoomed video will likely be invisible in real life. It depends on the clarity grade, the kind of inclusions, etc.

In general, VS2 will be completely clean to the naked eye, and inclusions shouldn't be anywhere near enough to impact performance.

Many SI1s are eye clean as well, but of course not all of them. VS2 and up is safest if you aren't going with a vendor who can physically inspect the stone for you, or if you are new to buying stones.

I personally prefer the specs on the first stone you linked. Many people feel as though a great GIA XXX can't be distinguished from a super ideal cut (from WF, HPD, etc). Others disagree. In the end it comes down to your preferences, and whether you want the $1 upgrade policy and superior customer service experience.

Since you seem to want the best of the best, I'd personally suggest going with WF or HPD for peace of mind. But the firdf stone you picked is a great one.

Fktleh922

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the detailed answer!! Im glad that first stone works good. I knew i spent enough time to find that one. Although i thought im slightly pro at diamonds now, i have no clue what are WF and HPD. Would you mind to let me know what they stand for?

Last edited:

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
what are WF and HPD. Would you mind to let me know what they stand for?
Whiteflash
High Performance Diamonds

Good Old Gold used to offer the Gemex reports on all their signature H&A diamonds. I don't know if they can still do that or not. But it was very useful to me since it showed the actual character of the fire and brilliance and I could see how much was pin fire and how much was the broader flashes that I prefer.

Fktleh922

Rough_Rock
I see. Thank you so much. Ill look into them too. Thanks guys. It has been very helpful. I learned a lot from you guys!!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the one I gave my blessing on the best.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

An excellent grade for symmetry on a GIA report means that all facets meet up where they are supposed to. It’s called “meet point symmetry”. If you are looking for a super ideal stone, excellence in symmetry goes beyond that to what is termed “optical symmetry”. That’s how you get those crisp arrows when looking top-down and symmetrical hearts when looking bottom-up.

All super ideal H&A stones will be optically symmetrical and would be GIA Excellent for symmetry. But the reverse is not true.

Your original stone, unless you are an absolute stickler for optical symmetry (and you want the best of the best cut wise), looks good. For the price, it’s more than fair.

Re: sparkle and inclusions. This is not generally true, sparkle is dictated by the quality of cut. Quality of cut comes down to proportions (eg table & depth percentages, crown and pavilion angles, lower girdle facet percentage, etc). There are some inclusions that may impact on light performance (I’m thinking about you clouds), but overall a “low” inclusion grade (like SI) does not mean that a stone will exhibit less brilliance and scintillation as a higher clarity grade stone (eg VS2+).

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bmfang,

What about the new ones? There are on one comment above you. Would you mind to check them out too please??

Number 3: https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD11714870

Number 4: https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12476032

Sorry bout the delay. Getting ready for work and I’ve now got some time as I’m on my bus ride in.

Both of these, proportions wise are in the sweet spot.

#3: I usually don’t like to see a comment on the lab report which says additional clouds not shown. Especially on a VVS2 or higher clarity stone. Makes me wonder where the additional clouds are. Having said that, given it is a VVS2, more than likely the additional clouds won’t impact on light performance. Presence of the additional facet crown side up right near the girdle also does not worry me. HCA of 1.4 on this stone with the comment that it should look big for its carat size (suspect that might be due to girdle being TH-MED rather than usual TH-SLTK so it’s not slightly deeper). You’re well over 1.5cts with this one. Only thing you have to consider is whether the additional 0.2mm in diameter is worth an additional $2k or not.

#4: HCA 1.4, looks big for its carat weight. 1 colour grade above but one clarity grade down. About the same price as #3 but you sacrifice ~0.1mm in diameter. First thing I noticed in the magnified vid was that black crystal under the table. For the same money as #3, I’d take #3 instead over #4.

As for the Astor Ideal you posted above, I don’t like it’s proportions as much as #3 & 4 (I ordinarily don’t mind if tables are 58% if other proportions are right, but I feel for the money that 53-57% is the sweet spot table percentage wise).

Fktleh922

Rough_Rock
Sorry bout the delay. Getting ready for work and I’ve now got some time as I’m on my bus ride in.

Both of these, proportions wise are in the sweet spot.

#3: I usually don’t like to see a comment on the lab report which says additional clouds not shown. Especially on a VVS2 or higher clarity stone. Makes me wonder where the additional clouds are. Having said that, given it is a VVS2, more than likely the additional clouds won’t impact on light performance. Presence of the additional facet crown side up right near the girdle also does not worry me. HCA of 1.4 on this stone with the comment that it should look big for its carat size (suspect that might be due to girdle being TH-MED rather than usual TH-SLTK so it’s not slightly deeper). You’re well over 1.5cts with this one. Only thing you have to consider is whether the additional 0.2mm in diameter is worth an additional $2k or not.

#4: HCA 1.4, looks big for its carat weight. 1 colour grade above but one clarity grade down. About the same price as #3 but you sacrifice ~0.1mm in diameter. First thing I noticed in the magnified vid was that black crystal under the table. For the same money as #3, I’d take #3 instead over #4.

As for the Astor Ideal you posted above, I don’t like it’s proportions as much as #3 & 4 (I ordinarily don’t mind if tables are 58% if other proportions are right, but I feel for the money that 53-57% is the sweet spot table percentage wise).

Thanks for great extensive reviews on them. So for number 3, 1.61 cts one do you think it will be okay for the light performance? Not talking about inclusion but cut itself. Because it has to be proportioned right between crown and pavilion angles and height
Also star facet is only 45%. Does it affect light performance for being <50%?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for great extensive reviews on them. So for number 3, 1.61 cts one do you think it will be okay for the light performance? Not talking about inclusion but cut itself. Because it has to be proportioned right between crown and pavilion angles and height
Also star facet is only 45%. Does it affect light performance for being <50%?

It may impact. Given GIA rounds to nearest 5%, i’m Expecting actual star percentage on this to actually be around 47.

@Karl_K thoughts on impact of star facet percentage on light performance?

Fktleh922

Rough_Rock
35.5ca and 45 stars is a good combo.

@Karl_K So out of 4 diamonds here, which one do you think its best diamond for its price? Considering size, portion/cut for sparkle and stuffs??

Last edited:

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
@Karl_K So out of 4 diamonds here, which one do you think its best diamond for its price? Considering size, portion/cut for sparkle and stuffs??

As per forum rules Karl is a trade member and is not allowed to comment on other Vendors diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results