shape
carat
color
clarity

Please, help me to choose one of these PP tahitian strands

le chat

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody,

After admiring your tahitian strands, I decided to order for myself the first round tahitian strand. I asked them to have a overtone, body silver or peacock in 8-9mm size. Unfortunately, they do not have many strands in small size as I requested.

I am really new in pearl and would like to ask all of your for your advice about these strands. Which one should I pick up? Personally, i like bodycolor in silver and overtone I am really a bit confused.

In 3 strands, they were sent to me, I think the first one inside is something like peacock, if I am wrong, please correct me, Thank you! and the second one has too much pink for my overtone I think which I do not think it will flattered on my skin which is cool and asian fair skin ( but still can wear white bodycolour with pink overtone as well) . The third one is my favourite so far but it has green overtone, hasn't it ????

Please help me to pick up one of these and if possible could you please give me some comments about bodycolor and overtone of these strands.

I think I will order a pair of earrings to match with one these strands. Should I order stud earrings or dangle? I know it is personals choice but still love to hear from you all who have experiences. Thank you very much for reading!

Here is the picture from PP.

tahitian%20strands.jpg

Re: Please, help me to choose one of these PP tahitian stran

:love: First one :love:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

i've ordered my preference

#3 has some silvery tones to it.
#2 is too dark for my taste [and skin tone as well although i am not asian]
#1 i'm not into pink but in some ways i actually like these. they appear brown on my monitor, though.

good luck. and welcome to pearls! i too am very new to them.

MoZo

Brown?? Weird.. The first one (bottom row in the picture) Is pink, green with some teal? The middle one looks brown to me.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock

Innermost strand, the best, unless you are after very light colored Tahitian. It's medium body color with green overtone, some pearls have peacock, but not prominent peacock imo.

Middle strand is grey body with subtle multicolor of aubergine, pink, brown, etc. I would not recommend this. It doesn't show up well on Asian complexion.

Outer most strand is silver body with slight green overtone. Very silvery, and can be really pretty if you like lighter colored tahitian, will show up well on top of black, dark colored tops/dresses. If you plan to wear the necklace next to your skin, it would be very pretty too, but just not as eye-popping as the innermost strand.

My recommendation is either inner or outer strands depending on your taste, clothes. The middle one is my first elimination. Some people like lighter colored tahitian, others like darker ones like the inner most strand. My husband likes both. He has a leather cord with silvery green pearl and another with darker green pearl. They look different depending on which shirt he wears and he likes both of them.

The outer strand will reflect your clothes more especially when you wear pink. But I think the green of the inner strand is also mesmerizing.

I hope I did not make it more difficult for you to choose.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I like the innermost strand best too.

Glad to see you back here after your FF incident! (I had one too.)

I think Tahitians are gorgeous, so if this will be your first, I hope you will love them too. Also PP is great to deal with.

Good luck! :)

Anne

le chat

Rough_Rock

Thank you Bean, Mozo, HHPmom and anne_h for your comments.

I think I like the back strand now :D . It's the most beautiful one in 3 strands. That's weird that PP just send me another email about their desciriptions of those 3. They are different what I saw on my monitor.

Here are their descriptions:

The strand in the front of the picture is a silver blue strand with peacock overtone. 8.1-9.7mm AA+/AAA quality
The middle strand is dark body color with light peacock overtone. 8.0-8.9mm AA+ quality, semi round shape
The back strand is Green body color with peacock overtone. 8.0-9.9mm AA quality

It seems the first in front has the best quality. The innermost strand has AA quality. 2 of these strands have the same price. I do love this one but I am now wondering if I should buy AA quality or not ???What do you think?

HHPmom: your comment made me very clear and love how you describes these strands :appl:

Anne_h: Thank you for your wish! This tahitian strand will be my first one and hope I am getting the right on for me. It is not easy to by pearls online and will be more complicated if I don't like and have to return I think.

le chat

Rough_Rock

I found another strand on TPO for valentine's sale. The strand is also AA quality but the price is cheaper about $350. What do you think about this one compared with the innermost strand from PP.

Can I ask if TPO is a good vendor to deal with? Thank you!

TAN100-1165_XL.jpg

Pearl Size: 8.1mm - 10.76mm
Quality:
AA
Shape: Round
Luster: Excellent
Body Color : Dark
Overtone: Strong Peacock
Blemishes: Light

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

I'd like to comment on your question about earrings. For studs, I prefer pearls that are 8 mm or smaller in diameter. If the pearls are 9 mm or larger, I prefer dangles. Large studs tend to droop and I'm not a fan of elephant-sized backs. It also makes it easier to talk on the phone if your studs are not too big.

I like the silver body Tahitians. I think they look great against darker skin, hair or clothing.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock

TPO strand has more variation in colors, not exactly a multicolor strand, but the overtone is more varied. Also has light and dark color pearls mixed in. PP's innermost strand is more uniform in color.

Are you in the US? You can order 2 strands and compare in person. AA is not up to par in my opinion. Not sure if PP grades the inner strand AA due to blemishes or luster or overall. I would rather have better luster with slightly more blemishes. So if you like the inner strand's color and the luster is very high but graded AA due to blemishes, then you may be happy with your choice of that strand.

Are you willing to wait for the perfect one provided prices won't increase tremendously? This is a round strand, if it were me, I would hold out for the best you can afford. If you can't compromise between color (inner one) vs quality (outer one), it's best to wait.

le chat

Rough_Rock

Fly Girl: thank you for your comment. I think I will ask for the size 8-9mm, it will be the smallest size of tahitian pearl. I think i will ask them to have dangle style, it might more confortable.

HPPmom: I don't live in USA but in Europe that's why It is more complicated to decide beacause if I order and will not like it, I have to return and it will be expensive to return and plus i have to pay tax when the order comes and cant claim to get back import taxes I think.

I can wait, of course, but I would like to profit the promotion code right now, PP has 14% off and TPP 10%, it is not bad for a round tahitian strand ;-) . Now, I think about the innermost strand from PP and the strand from TPO. I just read how PP grade their pearls. AA quality should have very hight luster and the TPO strand has excellent lust which I like the most and plus blemishes is light.

Do you think the TPO's strand will suit for fair aisian skin and they have great deal with customers? And Between the innermost strand from PP and the one from TPO, which one do you think is better?

Sorry to ask you many questions but I really appreciate your thoughts!

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock

le chat|1296863318|2843419 said:
HPPmom: I don't live in USA but in Europe that's why It is more complicated to decide beacause if I order and will not like it, I have to return and it will be expensive to return and plus i have to pay tax when the order comes and cant claim to get back import taxes I think.

I can wait, of course, but I would like to profit the promotion code right now, PP has 14% off and TPP 10%, it is not bad for a round tahitian strand ;-) . Now, I think about the innermost strand from PP and the strand from TPO. I just read how PP grade their pearls. AA quality should have very hight luster and the TPO strand has excellent lust which I like the most and plus blemishes is light.

Do you think the TPO's strand will suit for fair aisian skin and they have great deal with customers? And Between the innermost strand from PP and the one from TPO, which one do you think is better?

Sorry to ask you many questions but I really appreciate your thoughts!

Pearl grading is subjective and there is no universal standard for grading. Therefore, it's not a good idea to compare TPO's "excellent" luster vs. PP's "very high" luster; meaning that they could be the same or PP's could be better or vice versa. To be fair, I've bought from TPO only a few times, not as often as PP. Therefore, I am bias. IMO, PP has better customer service and Jeremy will work with you to make you happy. Both strands are pretty and almost similar in the sense of stronger green & peacock rather than silvery green/blue like the outer strand. Based on my opinion, unless the Tahitian pearl has very, very strong peacock (I mean true peacock with green halo surrounding strong pink in the center, not "peacock" green), the slight pink (on TPO's) won't even be noticeable on Asian skin. Besides, flywing green or strong green like the inner strand (note I said strong green, not very very dark green) will look much more fabulous than weak peacock like TPO's strand. Another thing to consider, do you have a preference for stronger contrast like TPO strand, light and darker pearls intermix? Or prefer more uniform strand like PP's? Stay away from very dark green, especially on a strand. A pendant is ok, but a very dark strand doesn't look good, at least on me. Exception is purplish green, but that's another subject, and it's based on my opinion anyway.

It looks like the inner strand is not listed on PP's website, so there is no risk of someone purchasing it over the weekend. In addition, based on where you are located, it's best to be really, really sure. I would suggest getting a few more close-up pictures of that strand if your heart is set on it. Then if you see any pearls that are too dull for your taste, or too blemished, ask Jeremy to swap it out, if they have extra loose pearls to work with.

Anyone else wants to offer more advice to le chat?

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock

I took a look at TPO's strand again and do not like it as much as PP's green strand. TPO's strand has some too many pearls with gold/pistachio overtone, but not strong greenish pistachio. Those yellowish ones don't do too well with olive/yellow Asian complexion. Don't get me wrong, pistachio ones are pretty if they have a tad more green rather than too much gold/yellow. Sigh, the dilemma of monitor colors too.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock

le Chat HHP mom gives very good advice. I have seen her extraordinary pearls in person. My opinion is that luster trumps everything. I would rather have very high luster and a few blemishes rather that no blemishes and low or medium luster. I have bought pearls from both TPO and PP. No problems with either one but I do prefer PP. My favorite is the silver/blue strand and it has the best pearl grade. Ask for more pictures of each strand maybe that would help you to decide.

le chat

Rough_Rock

HHPmom: thank you very much for your advice, I appreciated very much. You are great!!! :appl: :appl: I will ask them to send email some more pictures of the 2 strands the frond and the back strand to compare again.

It is weird that the innermots' quality is lower than the outermost but the price is a bit more expensive :sick:

Will update more pictures and information when I get their news pictures!

4Ranch Girl: I agree with you, I prefer luster is the best over theses other things too. I will ask them more about information as HHPmom sugessted.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Probably peacock overtones are more expensive than light coloured Tahitian, my favourite is the outmost and innermost strand from PP. Are you sure you don't want larger sized pearls? :naughty:

le chat

Rough_Rock

Lovinggems: I asked them why the innermost is more expensive than the outmost but didnt get their answer in email. I rememberd I chatted with their assitant, I was told price is based on their quality, not colour. Thats why I am confused!!!
I am petite so I think bigger size will be overwhelmed on me.

OK, I got their picture. Unfortunatelly, the outmost was sold today, how sad I am :confused: :((

Here are pictures of the silver body withe peacock overtone. What do you think and should I go with this one or wait for the next more beautiful???

02-08-11c%20tan.jpg

02-08-11b%20tan.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

looks good to me but as i stated i'm also new to pearls. i like the silvery dominate color. is this a good one with your complexion? if so, why not order it....assuming they have a good return policy.

MoZo

ps ah, losing out after making up your mind to get the outer one is disappointing. we've all been stricken by the "she who is indecisive may lose out" trick of fate. somehow we always think we're the only one interested in whatever the item is. i'm still hesitant online but when i see something in a real live store, i've learned to just get it because it won't be there when i go back. sigh.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock

If you liked the coloring of the strand best ask them to find another one like that for you. Tell them the grade and colors you want. They have many, many strands not on the web site. The only problem might be the mm size you are asking for. You might go to a store and try on a few for size to see what you like best on you. 8mm to 9mm are not that big for Tahitian pearls and that might be why you do not have that many choices.

le chat

Rough_Rock

MoZo: Me too. I do prefer silver body as well , with medium bodytone. Buying pearls online is not easy at all and more complicated when I am not in USA :(

4Ranch Girl: I did ask them and they sent me another one :D .

Here it is. What do you think of this one ? Is this strand similar as the innermost strand?

02-09-11b.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock

I like this one better, not as dark as the innermost strand,but still has color. The one you missed is too light. It won't really pop against your skin. Just MHO. The background on this one is adjusted to be almost white and is not as gray as the original of the three strands. I think this picture is more true to color than the first one.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

i'm not fond of this one....to dark, not enough silvery look. but that's me.

yes, online shopping can be rough.....can you go somewhere to try some on where you live? might give you a better idea of what looks good on you.

MoZo

eta: i'm not that much into tahitians so that may be why i like the more silvery ones. now those i like and would wear.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock

Watch February 7's episode of Hawaii Five-0 http://www.cbs.com/primetime/hawaii_five_0/video/?vs=Full%20Episodes

13 minutes into the show, the prosecutor wears a Tahitian strand, not silvery, but you can see green overtone. Check it out and see how you like it. She appears again in the middle and towards the end.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock

le chat|1297290298|2847966 said:
MoZo: Me too. I do prefer silver body as well , with medium bodytone. Buying pearls online is not easy at all and more complicated when I am not in USA :(

Here it is. What do you think of this one ? Is this strand similar as the innermost strand?

02-09-11b.jpg
I like this one very much. You can see overtones in the picture which IRL will be much more prominent. Most of my strands I have had the luxury of actually going into the PP showroom the one I did not do that way was my silver strand. I had seen one there the month before when I was buying a strand for my sister. I could not get it out of my mind. Finally I called and asked Jeremy to send me some pictures of strands to choose from. It was the hardest thing I ever did. So you have my sympathy doing it this way. I wanted silver that looked like silver beads with overtones. I did end up with just that and the overtones are pink over the silver and aqua, just stunning. You can see overtones and very nice luster in the picture that was sent so maybe this should be the one for you.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock

A screen shot of the strand, about 13:10 into the show.

H50 strand.jpg

H5O strand 2.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

le chat|1297290298|2847966 said:

02-09-11b.jpg

What description did PP give you for the body colour and overtones? It's quite nice.

le chat

Rough_Rock

HHPmom: thank you for your pictures. I couldn't watch the show on CB, it is banned for different continentals :(( . The pictures which were captured on screen do not show well the colour and overtone so I could hardly to see it. But her tahitian pearls are very attractive ;-)

4Ranch Girl: I wish I could go to PP show room to choose a strand for myself, It would be much much easier. When I opened my email and at the first sigh looking, I also like it. The colour is really vivid green, luster is very hight. My concernt is all about if this one will show well on my skin and I couldn't find any jewelry stores which have green bodytone or overtone.

Mozo: I was like you ;-). At the beginning, I just love the silvery tone and think it would show well on asian complex but the more I look at tahitian pearls, the more I love the dark colour ( middle tone). As HHPmom and 4Ranch Girl 's experiences, the dark pearls will really more popped-up on the skin than light tahitian pearls. Anyhow, it is just preference of each person.

I tried to look for all jewelry stores in my city, the choices here are very limited, there are just fews of baroque strands which I find their colour are not beautiful and round pearls are really rared. I tried some pendants and all of them are kinds of gray or dark grey, silver grey. I tried silver grey and it is quite nice on me. From a pendant and a strand will be very different on a pearson I think.

Lovinggems: I don't have any ideal the body colour ( green as I guess ;)) ) and overtone of this strand. Chenai ( the assistant at PP) sent me this picture and ask If i like it, tell her and she will give more details.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock

I would imagine when you contacted PP for your strands you explained your coloring for them to be able to choose the right pearls for you. The silver body tones I think would work with the overtones very nice.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

i think that is a great idea! while we don't have a lot of experience buying from them at a distance, they probably have dealt with people worldwide and might have some great suggestions.

MoZo

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock

We may not have the same coloring, but I thought this will give you an idea. Top strand is multi-color with darker overtone. Bottom strand is silver body with slightly blue and green overtone, very little pink. Picture doesn't really come close to real life color. The top strand is slightly darker and more colorful. My lighting was not great when I took it myself.

Keep in mind that when two strands are worn together, their colors are reflected onto each other. The bottom one in real life is lighter but in picture appears darker due to reflection from the top strand.

IMG_4307-2.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results