shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me selecting the wine for proposal night...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chatreez

Rough_Rock
Dear Pricescopers..

I'll fly to Dallas and surprise my girlfriend with a proposal this Friday (2/8) :) I plan to take her for a nice dinner afterwards. However, I don't have much knowledge about wine and I need some pointers...

Here's the food that we might be ordering. It's an Italian seafood restaurant.

Appetizer
Sautéed Shrimp wrapped in Italian Smoked Cured Bacon served with Spinach and a Lemoncello Dressing
and may be..
Bruschetta - Grilled Bread with Oven Dried Tomatoes, Goat Cheese

Entrees
I have no idea what she's gonna order but chances are she would order fish.
May be any of these
Grilled Sea Bass served with Red Onions and topped with an Olive Pate
Fennel Crusted Atlantic Salmon served with Arugula and Tomato Salad & Basil Vinaigrette
Herbed Trout served with Salmoriglio Sauce and Roasted Potatoes
Tuna Grilled with Mustard and Red Peppercorns served with a Red Pepper Coulis

She couldn't drink too much wine, so we'll stay with wines by the glass menu. I also want to stay with something not so dry. Please help me pairing good wines to the food that we might order.

Thank you so much! I'm nervous! 2 more days to go!

Wines

Italian Whites
Gaetano Da Forino Greco Di Tufo, Campania
Santa Margherita, Pinot Grigio
Rufino, Orvieto
Masi, Masianco
Arancio Grillo

Chardonnay
Alamos, Argentina
Kendall Jackson, Vinters Reserve
Sonoma Cutrer, Russian River

Chianti / Sangiovese
Santa Cristina, Sangiovese
Cetamura, Chianti
Masi, Campofiorin Rosso del Veronese
Banfi, Chianti Classico Riserva

Piemonte Reds
Michele Chiarlo Barbera D’Asti

American Reds
Rodney Strong, Merlot
“A” by Acacia, Pinot Noir, California
Kendall Jackson, Cabernet Sauvignon, CA
Concannon, Stampsmaker Syrah
Calistoga, Cabernet Sauvignon

dageman

Rough_Rock
Definately go with the Santa Margherita Pinto Grigo for the appetizer. It is light and fruity, with a medium acidity and will pair well with the shrimp. It is a dry wine (as are all you posted on the list) but is light enough that it wont suck the moisture off your palate. Pinot girgio is just a great aperitif/fish/calamari/ appetizer wine overall. The other I would have suggested but is not on the list would be a Sauvignon Blanc.

For the main course you geneally pair the wine with the sauce of the fish. It doesnt have to be strictly fish=white wine.

If you/she wants a white I would suggest the Kendall Jackson Chard.. it will have a little more body than the Italian whites and will stand up well to the heavier crusts/sauces on the fish. If she/you want a red go with something on the lighter side. For this I suggest either the Barbera (tends to be a medium bodied red) or possibly the Pinot Noir depending on the style. I am not familiar with the "A" by Acacia.. but see if the tasting notes mention light/medium or full body... it would be suitable if it were light to medium body and NOT barrel aged. Any red that is barrel aged will be too heavy and smoky and will likely overpower the fish.

Good luck

chatreez

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot, Mike. I''ll definitely look for names that you mentioned.

One more day to go.. so nervous!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The correct answer is always Champagne.

I don''t know how liquor laws work in your state, but I would pick up a half bottle of Champagne, Veuve Clicquot or Billecart-Salmon is readily availble in half-bottle formats in CA, to bring to dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results