shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me review these new Oval diamonds (video). Diamond I wanted sold.

Which diamond do you prefer?

• 2.41 H/VS2, 1.36 ratio

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither. Choose a different diamond

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chanieish

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi PS!

Sorry for the barrage of oval diamond postings. I had my eye set on a 2.4 H/SI1 oval diamond for $18500, but that was sold before I could purchase it. I have scoured multiple sites for a replacement and found these two H ovals on Blue Nile with pretty nice videos. One is a 2.4ct H/VS1, so almost guaranteed eye-clean, with a longer ratio of 1.43 vs a 2.41 H/VS2 that is shorter and wider at ratio of 1.36. Links to BN posted below with video of the diamond. Which of these do you think has the better cut based on the videos. I understand that it may be hard to assess ovals online. Will the strong fluorescence affect the beauty of the 2.4ct stone? These stones are at the top of my budget. Thank you very much for your advice and if you have any other recommendations, please let me know.

2.4ct H/VS1:

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

2.41 H/VS2:

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

Thank you very much again.

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
I’m far from an expert on ovals, but came across this one I thought might be of interest (similarly priced):

https://www.augustvintageinc.com/co...ucts/2-41ct-h-si1-august-vintage-oval-1670852

Light performance, Polish, and symmetry are ideal, but it only received a very good grade for both cut and proportions per the AGS report. I’m curious on the later and am hoping the oval expertscan chime in. Also, it’s an SI1, so I’d recommend inquiring on eye-cleanliness.

Still, compared to the two stones you presented, the Opulence appears to have arrows (not sure what they’re called on ovals) that stretch further to the edges from the center. My understanding, albeit limited on this cut, is that theses “arrows” will provide better reflection/light return as opposed to the “mushy” areas, which tend to absorb light. I’m sure that comparing the videos will provide ample support.

Also, the Opulence oval line, much like the August Vintage cushion cut, is Jon’s proprietary cut design, which I’m certain he has painstakingly vetted to optimize light performance. If I was personally looking for an ideal oval, AV Inc. would be one of the first places I’d look to.

chanieish

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the advice Athena! Opulence ovals certainly are beautiful, however they face up smaller due to the ideal cut. Face up size is one of my main factors. :)

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
53A4A54D-0138-4E0A-BE13-A3CC7355BB9F.png Completely understand. Posting a visual comparison, which does show a significantly perceivable size difference in the face-up view. The Opulence oval is on the left and comparable 2.41 BN oval is on the right. Unfortunately, I’ll have to defer to the other experts on this forum to guide you with your selection as I am also eagerly learning about non-MRB cuts.

chanieish

Rough_Rock
Premium
That is definitely a helpful visual! I had not thought to do that! Perhaps one day with a larger budget I can get a 3ct Opulence hehe! Thank you again for your help. :)

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
That is definitely a helpful visual! I had not thought to do that! Perhaps one day with a larger budget I can get a 3ct Opulence hehe! Thank you again for your help. :)

Your are welcome! I’d like to point out potential concerns I have with the two diamonds you are deciding between.

The 2.4, although a VS1, supposedly has additional pinpoints per the lab report. It also exhibits strong fluorescence. Although I don’t see an haziness/milkiness in the video, you may still need to confirm under sunlight. Also, how do you feel about fluorescence in general? My diamond has medium fluorescence and I love how it turns an icy blue under direct light. It also makes the stone appear whiter. Again, mine is medium, so I’m thinking strong should also make the stone appear whiter, but not certain to what degree.

With regards to the 2.41ct diamond, lab report indicates additional clouds and pinpoints not shown with the cloud being the clarity grade setting imperfection. As a VS2, I’m sure it’s eye-clean, but those additional “not shown” imperfections raise flags for me personally. Yet, it doesn’t have fluorescence.

Definitely a difficult choice to make so I am hoping a veteran can help you decide between the two.

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
LOL that chart is deceptive. What it doesn't address is if the oval on the right is too shallow with optics that accompany a fish eye. I have a tutorial coming on this very subject.

Looking forward to your tutorial!

chanieish

Rough_Rock
Premium
LOL that chart is deceptive. What it doesn't address is if the oval on the right is too shallow with optics that accompany a fish eye. I have a tutorial coming on this very subject.

Thank you for posting Rhino and I look forward to your tutorial as well. Are you able to notice the fish eye on the video? And do you have more opulence ovals available?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
many are being cut as we speak

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know anything about ovals but the James Allen 2.4 vs1 is gorgeous to my eye!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results