shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me pick one!

NoviceAP

Rough_Rock
I know you can't judge a stone just based on the numbers, but given that's what we have, please help me decide! I have seen the first stone in real life and it's beautiful. The second stone I have not seen in real life but it's a few hundred bucks cheaper and seems to have better proportions (at least in terms of crown-pavilion angles). Please help!!:appl:

First stone: 1.88 carat ($6,550)
GCAL report
7.92 - 7.96 x 4.86mm
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Table: 58%
Crown: 35 degrees
Pavilion: 40.8 degrees
Cut/Polish/Symmetry: Excellent
HCA: 1.7 (Very good light return, fire and scintillation are excellent; spread is very good)

Second stone: 1.78 carat ($6,073)
IGI report
7.87 - 7.92 x 4.72mm
Clarity: SI1 (Obviously will need to check if this is eye-clean. If not, then the first stone would be a clear winner)
Table: 59%
Crown: 34 degrees
Pavilion: 40.9 degrees
HCA: 1.5 (Excellent light return, fire and scintillation are very good; spread is excellent)

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
I know you can't judge a stone just based on the numbers, but given that's what we have, please help me decide! I have seen the first stone in real life and it's beautiful. The second stone I have not seen in real life but it's a few hundred bucks cheaper and seems to have better proportions (at least in terms of crown-pavilion angles). Please help!!:appl:

First stone: 1.88 carat ($6,550)
GCAL report
7.92 - 7.96 x 4.86mm
Clarity: VS2
Table: 58%
Crown: 35 degrees
Pavilion: 40.8 degrees
HCA: 1.7 (Very good light return, fire and scintillation are excellent; spread is very good)

Second stone: 1.78 carat ($6,073)
IGI report
7.87 - 7.92 x 4.72mm
Clarity: SI1 (Obviously will need to check if this is eye-clean. If not, then the first stone would be a clear winner)
Table: 59%
Crown: 34 degrees
Pavilion: 40.9 degrees
HCA: 1.5 (Excellent light return, fire and scintillation are very good; spread is excellent)

You are right. You can’t judge a diamond based on the specs alone. Can the vendor(s) provide ASET images? Also, the second one appears to be a 60/60, which tends to give off more brightness and less fire, as indicated by the HCA tool. Have you seen a 60/60 in person to tell if this table and lgh combination suits your personal taste? Different table/lgh percentages offer different flavors of light play. Same with crown/pavilion angles, which for both diamonds are acceptable. Remember that these are averaged and all the more reason to see via Ideal or ASET scopes.

NoviceAP

Rough_Rock
Thanks @Athena10X I actually went with the first one and received my ring today! A photo won’t do it justice but I don’t know how to upload a video so here it is!

328B4B21-8003-4915-917F-00744F4D1B2D.jpeg

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @Athena10X I actually went with the first one and received my ring today! A photo won’t do it justice but I don’t know how to upload a video so here it is!

328B4B21-8003-4915-917F-00744F4D1B2D.jpeg

Congratulations! Photos definitely don’t do beautiful diamonds justice. Requires stereoscopic vision to see prismatic effect.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! It looks great :))

NoviceAP

Rough_Rock
Congrats! It looks great :))

Thank you! Actually the stone (1.88 carat) shines so much especially when I’m outside or under good lighting that it’s really hard not to notice the ring (and it looks a lot bigger because of all the shine), and I’m a little worried this might be over the top. I don’t want to draw too much attention on the ring and I’m a little worried this might be too flashy. I have a few days left in my return period and I’m wondering whether I should downsize to around 1.65 carat.

I previously had a 1.27 mined diamond and got a 1.88 MMD to upsize but would I regret if I go to 1.65 carat MMD?

What do you think? Would this be a stupid decision given I won’t be able to upgrade down the road? If I decide to go with the 1.65 carat, I think I will save about $700.

Can’t decide.... please help!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The size difference isn’t significant so not sure if it would be worth it to you or not. I think the diamond you have looks great on your hand and with your band. It’s a big look, but it doesn’t scream over the top to me.

2D30BA6B-EBBF-437A-AF78-A4FB4DC3EB03.png

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't forget about DSS setting in ;-) lol

diamondinterested

Rough_Rock
@NoviceAP it looks amazing! Do you mind me asking what width (mm) your engagement band is? I love it and am currently deciding between a 2mm and a 2.5mm band.

Lindastanley

Rough_Rock
Wow, congratz bea, it's so nice and twinkle :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results