color
clarity

Please help me pick earrings for my son’s wedding

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all!
Thanks for stopping in!
DS is getting married in October. It’s in the US Northeast at sunset on the beach. Ballroom reception to follow after beachside ceremony and cocktail hour. Bride says it will be a relaxed affair, I have my doubts about if our definitions of casual jive as it seems rather formal to me.

Anyhow, I excitedly have my dress, shawl, shoes and bracelet (I think) chosen and I am stuck on the earrings. My long hair will most likely be up (dependent on a surgery scheduled for Wednesday :eek2: ).

I have gone back and forth between yellow gold delicate filigree leaf drops, CItrine stone drops, gold chandelier, and black pearl drops. I feel like my dress has enough going on and I have fallen hard for the below earrings. I also think I would get the most wear afterward out of these, which is nice. Oh, I would buy two pair so as to have two black earnings for the the big day!

What do you think of this choice and can you make any other suggestions with regard to my dress. Ideally, I would like to keep them inexpensive as I would rather give my money to the kids to start their life together. :kiss2:
The dress (the gold is pretty out there IRL) I’ll attach another pic in a sec.
86D5DF9D-B1F1-417F-B7BB-E2816DE03556.jpeg B89025BB-DEC4-46F2-AC5F-FEAAA728D09C.jpeg

Last edited:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have my mother in laws 88th birthday party today but I’ll be back later. Thank you for your help!
Before alterations. My shawl is light gold silk.
47922D09-C492-4392-96E2-A4B31A34553D.jpeg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the earrings are classic and understated yet classy and make a statement, so perfect IMO :)

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can NEVER go wrong with pearls, as OoohShiny says, they’re totally timeless and infinitely elegant. You’re going to look stunning!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the earrings are classic and understated yet classy and make a statement, so perfect IMO :)
You can NEVER go wrong with pearls, as OoohShiny says, they’re totally timeless and infinitely elegant. You’re going to look stunning!

Thank you! My thoughts exactly. =)2

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Your dress is stunning and I love your choice of earring for the wedding. You have great taste, IMO!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your dress is stunning and I love your choice of earring for the wedding. You have great taste, IMO!

=)2 Ohmygoodness thank you ever so much! I think I’m sold on these earrings. And I’ll have two pair to boot! Yay me! :dance:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hubby will have this kerchief. Amazing right? Or we could use the fabric from the gown after it’s shortened. Hmmm. Details. Never really felt so into the details. ;-)
6F567D9F-AF30-4B2F-B7CC-6BDE9357AD11.jpeg

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the dress, and the earrings. But personally I would perhaps just go with white pearls to match hubby’s shirt? Just an idea. You will look amazing either way!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Slick1 Love the dress and love the pearl earrings.:kiss2: I'm with Scandi. I would choose the white pearls (they pop more against your lovely dark hair) l but I do love the gray ones too so you cannot go wrong!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Slick1, I will sound like a copy cat but your dress is gorgeous and you can never go wrong with classic, elegant pearl earrings. While I like both colors I think the white pearls show better against your dark hair. Love the handkerchief for your DH that matches your dress. Very cool.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love both...but agree the white pearls will pop against your hair...I LOVE the idea of a bit of your dress fabric for your husband’s pocket with the of solid gold. Classic!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Golden South Sea Pearls in a simple dangle setting would be my choice.
Something like these from PP, and they have more styles and settings to suit all budgets.
This pair is available in white or yellow gold priced at 620 USD.

Screenshot_20190728-204833_Chrome.jpg

DK :))

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the earrings with the dress. I LOVE that one is white and the other black. The gold pearls are nice, but I just love the look of the black and white.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
like @dk168 that dress really begs for something gold. (those earrings are fire!!)

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Scandinavian , @missy , @marcy , @Mamabean , @luv2sparkle , @dk168 and @Arcadian thank you all soooo much for weighing in. :kiss2: I had no idea I would get stumped on the earrings as all the other choices have been relatively easy. I quickly fell in love with the dress. Thank you for your compliments on that too!

I am surprised many of you prefer the white pair. Now, I will have to buy two pairs of them to get matching colors, which is fine.

Even if my dress has not one bit of white you all still think the white pearl pair is better? :think:

What if I wear one of each like they are intended? Too edgy?

They are from the Metropolitan Museum of Art which is why they are quite artsy. I do love them and am ready to order them in. But one or two pair?
@dk168 Thank you for your earring suggestion. They are beautiful and I have considered champagne colored stones or pearls. I will look at those! Thanks!! =)2

ETA I originally was looking for gold dangles but couldn’t find any I loved!

Last edited:

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
I like the black best but I think I am outvoted! Since you are ordering 2 pairs you have a choice up to the wedding. You will be gorgeous regardless!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the dress and the earrings you picked! Very elegant!

I vote for black or the ones that @dk168 posted that look golden. The white just seem like they would stand out too much (for me).

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
everything looks so perfect
and wounderful that your son has a grandma to attend his wedding too !
i love hubby's look but i love the dark pearls
but serously you don't need my help
your look is simply stunning and elegant

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@hypermom , @tyty333 and @Daisys and Diamonds oh thank you so much! I ordered two pair! When I get them in, I will decide!
You’ve confirmed my thoughts that the white might stand out too much. As much as I love the gold earrings that DK168 posted, I really don’t think I want to spend that much for a one-time wear piece! I mean, that is the price of a nice band! :lol: And yet, I do want something classy and befitting of the occasion. The fact that I will get a lot of use of these afterward is a nice bonus too.

Many thanks for the compliments on my selections! ♥️

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Black pearls, and "no" to the matching pocket square.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Slick1 I’ve been thinking about it and think
I like the dark pearls because you want the focus to be on your dress instead of the earrings.

OH thank you! I ordered two pair so I can have two of each color though I’m looking forward to playing with them mismatched too, =)2
Black pearls, and "no" to the matching pocket square.

Oh do tell! You mean no to using the matching fabric from my dress or no to the pocket square above that the tailor put together? (Post # 8 )
He reminded me of Versace! His name is Giovanni! :kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ordered two pair so I can have two of each color though I’m looking forward to playing with them mismatched too, =)2

I love the mismatched option. Edgy and sharp and perfect. Pops against your hair and complements your dress. Win win. That is the one I would choose for you.:love:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Slick1 I meant the one made from remnants of your dress post-alterations. The one your tailor put together is perfect. Matchy-matchy seems very suburban high school prom.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the mismatched option. Edgy and sharp and perfect. Pops against your hair and complements your dress. Win win. That is the one I would choose for you.:love:

Thank you Missy! I love them and hope they are as unique as I expect them to be. Can’t wait to get them! #edgysandee :)

@Slick1 I meant the one made from remnants of your dress post-alterations. The one your tailor put together is perfect. Matchy-matchy seems very suburban high school prom.

Ok! Thanks for weighing in. I think you are right. The tailor also said I could wrap my bouquet handle with the dress remnants. Hmm :think:
I certainly don’t want to look like the proverbial suburban prom mom! :lol: I also like the kerchief he made for us. Thank you very much for your help!! :)

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The champagne pearls or the black and white. The white however might stand out too much.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wear one of each. I think that is an awesome look. Totally cool. In my opinion that is exactly what you want as MOTG. So many of the looks you can find out there look old and matronly. You look fabulous in that dress and a slightly edgy earring is perfect. Skip standard and go for stand out.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the champagne pearls, goes so nicely with the dress :love:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wear one of each. I think that is an awesome look. Totally cool. In my opinion that is exactly what you want as MOTG. So many of the looks you can find out there look old and matronly. You look fabulous in that dress and a slightly edgy earring is perfect. Skip standard and go for stand out.

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for your compliments and advice. I do like the idea of the unique, yet subtle, nod to originality with the edgy looking mismatch. Not too ‘in your face’ either. Someone suggested I bring the matching one in case it’s gets too much attention, I can switch it! Hah. But I don’t mind being the hip MOG! :D

The champagne pearls or the black and white. The white however might stand out too much.

Thank you! I agree the all white might be too much especially when I have no white on. And I lent my FDIL my grandmother’s pearl/diamond drops for the big day so if I was going with white Pearls, I might as well have kept them! I wore them for my wedding 31 years ago! I also think either mixed or all black will work. Thanks! :)

I like the champagne pearls, goes so nicely with the dress :love:

Thanks Junie! I love them too and if I thought I would wear them again I would get them. But I am more of a bezel oec stud girl so I don’t see me using them after the wedding. These I may just wear again though. I also worried about trying to match the gold color too. But thanks so much for weighing in though. :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results