shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me find the perfect setting!

Alexandra Newcomb

Rough_Rock
My engagement ring is a 1.9 carat round brilliant Stone which is currently set in a six prong, knife-edge very thin band. My wedding band is a 5 Stone ring and unfortunately when I wear them together they rub in such a way that I'm fearful that if I keep it this way too long either if not both of the Rings will be damaged. I'm looking for the perfect setting to reset my engagement ring. I'm not a fan of bezel settings and I would like to keep it in a 6 prong. I don't want to do a buffer band because I have another identical band to my wedding band that I eventually will wear on the other side.

I went to our local jeweler and went through all of their Catalogs and couldn't find anything just right. The issue is more so my wedding band in at the stones are set relatively High. Please help me!
IMG_20171209_093120.jpg IMG_20171209_093144.jpg IMG_20171209_093227.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you know a 4 prong would be easier because there will be no prong on the south side for your wedding band to rub on. I think you are going to need
a setting where the gallery curves in. Maybe something like* this...
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...e-flower-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-50125

I think if I were you I would have one custom made where they could do CADs with your wedding band so you'll be sure your wedding band wont
scratch your ering. David Klass would be a good choice for thiis.

Edit...a design like this basket would give you a 6 prong but without the prong on the south next to your wedding band.
6 prong.PNG

Here is a side view of a basket that may work...the donut bumps your wedding band out some and the concave prongs
help to give more room for the wedding band to sit. Note...these are all ideas that you would have to incoorporate
into a ring you have custom made. Hopefully someone will be able to suggest something you can buy without having
to have it custom made.
side view.PNG

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or a spacer can fix your issue.. I would get just a 1mm spacer, www.e-weddingbands.com have a good selection!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i have you tried on a very wide band? I think with your finger size and the stone you have a thicker band would really compliment your set. Also it wouldn’t have one prong protruding out. Maybe a sholdt?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BFB1A10D-EB43-46F6-9437-C2152DB56D34.jpeg
I know you said 6 prong but something like this I was thinking

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel l, those are the tiniest prongs I have ever seen !! :shock:

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
BFB1A10D-EB43-46F6-9437-C2152DB56D34.jpeg
I know you said 6 prong but something like this I was thinking
I have been thinking of something similar for a reset. Do you have any information on this setting?

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
Is CVB an option for you?
The Jovyn is very similar to your current look: https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/230453061/the-cvb-id-jovyn-classic-six-prong?ref=shop_home_active_49
Or the Dahlia if you liked the more detailed basket: https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/237538848/cvb-dahlia-solitaire-setting?ref=shop_home_active_48

They sometimes come up in pre-loved/LT/DB, like this listing, and can be had for quite a discount! http://diamondbistro.com/category/246/Semi-Mounts/listings/51948/CVB-Olivia-Solitaire-setting.html

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot tell whether the diamonds from your five stone protrude further than the prongs. If they do, there is NO way for the diamond girdles not to rub against SOMETHING on your ering if you do not wear a spacer. Given the height of your band, Even if the diamond girdles do not protrude the metal from the band will rub somewhere on the ering.

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have a 7 stone band that rubs against my ering. I have thought about having it set lower so that it wouldn’t rub. But I agree that the height of your band is going to rub against something.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would suggest resetting into your dream solitaire, don't worry about rubbing, and pair it with a simple spacer band or even a plain wedding band for a nice trio stack!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results