shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help me find a ~ 4Ct RB Diamond

lucybeixie

Rough_Rock
Hello Experts,

I am hoping to get some much-needed assistance in my current search for a center stone for my 5 anniversary upgrade. I'm looking for a RB diamond with ~10mm (3.7- 4 ct) H/I/J Color VS2 / SI1/SI2 (eye clean clarity), Ideal cut (as I realize cut is the most important factor to brilliance & fire). My current engagement ring is a 2.45ct RB G color SI1 clarity. My budget is around $48K.

1) Am I going to see a huge color difference if I go down to a J ? (I currently have a G)

Thanks all!

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
You will see a color difference from your G in a J especially at that size. Only you will be able to know if it bothers you. My best advice is to go see some well cut J's in person and then you will know for sure if you can live with it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will also say that Garry and others have posted here that it is unlikely to find a truly eyeclean SI2 at those sizes, so I wouldn't really count on SI2 being realistic. Most vendors don't stock many stones in that size range, so I'd suggest calling someone like Good Old Gold who does light performance testing and have them call in some stones for you. I also don't think there'll be a lot of stones in the 3.7-3.99 range to be honest. A cutter is going to be focused on getting to the 4 ct mark when it is that close. I'll bet there are far more stones in the 3-3.6 range. I personally would go no lower than I color in a round brilliant but there certainly are people around with J color or lower.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Are you selling or trading in your other stone?

I did a cursory search but didn't find anything in a 4 ctw, AGS/GIA3x, H, VS2 in your price range; and agree with DS regarding the size comment.

cheers--Sharon

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 3.6 ct superideal H & A MRB--the inventory in this size is limited. I think you may have to increase your budget to get within your stated parameters (as others have said). Also, I believe there will be a noticeable color difference from the side but if that does not bother you, then go for it!

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like a great upgrade! You have a healthy budget, but you are definitely looking at the lower end of your specs, likely J SI2. If you were willing to go down to a 9.7mm+ stone (or ~3.5ct), you would open up your options much more and potentially could look at I SI1s. It would still be a very nice jump in size from your current diamond and probably an easier jump from a color G to an I vs. G to J.

As already mentioned, there will be a limited selection of diamonds at the 3 ct + range and also a limited vendor list. For the amount of money you are spending, I would not buy a SI diamond without seeing it in person, because it is impossible to determine whether it will be eye clean from a cert. If you aren’t in NY, I would suggest taking a trip to NY to see diamonds in person. I did this when I picked out my 3.25ct SI1 diamond. It is extra expense, but to me the trip investment was worth it to find a nice diamond (and still WAY cheaper and more options than buying locally). Plus, the trip was SOOOOOO FUN!

If you go that route, I worked with Chris at Engagement Rings Direct (ERD). They are a PS vendor and get really great reviews. They are an on-line dealer but take appts to view diamonds in person in their NY office. They do not have a retail store. I gave him my specs, price range and an example of a stone I liked from their website and he had diamonds within my specs for me to review for my appointment. It was completely pressure free and educational. There are other PS vendors that would also do the same (maybe ID Jewelry).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results