Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

please help me clean this steven kirsch ring

diamond5678

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 15, 2016
Messages
21
Please be patient as I know this is frequently discussed...

I have been reading through dozens of cleaning posts over the past 13 days since getting engaged (yay! i think my fiance wants to post a thread about the ring since Pricescope helped him so much with the process) but I wanted to come here for help with cleaning as I feel a lot of the threads contradict, and i haven't seen many updates on how the method has held up over the years with a pave setting.

The day after getting engaged we left for vacation, where I kept my ring on for safety purposes in the ocean, shower, sleeping, etc so it definitely has a film on it now. Leaving it in the hotel was not an option!!

It is a platinum setting with 3-sided pave on the whole thing, 3-sided on the stems of the basket, 3-sided on the split shanks, pave hidden under the basket in between the split shank and on the sides of the halo, so there is quite a bit to clean that is delicate. It was made by Steven Kirsch and is literally perfection.

I have seen posts suggesting the following methods for pave diamond settings and cleaning:

1) ultrasonic

2)sonic

3) steam cleaners (at-home and professional in a store)-- and then many posts saying the good steam cleaners are now discontinued and only available on ebay

4) ammonia (windex) and warm water soak

5) dawn detergent and warm water soak

6) some product called sparkle sparkle

7) boiling water with a a teaspoon of baking soda and soak

8 ) using a baby toothbrush with any of the above methods



What are the pros/cons of each of the above? The only one I see real downsides posted about are the ultrasonic shaking the melee loose.

Given the intricacy of this setting, what should I do? And how often? Is there a downside to cleaning too often?


Thank you in advance for the advice!!!! :wavey:

img_12736.jpg

fullsizerender_1_7.jpg

_38304.jpg
 

diamond5678

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 15, 2016
Messages
21
Re: Trying to settle the pros/cons of micropave cleaning met

Shelby_Buchroeders|1474388683|4078853 said:
I ultra sonic my ring DAILY at work (Platinum, 5 stone, 2.65ct) and see 0 issue related to melee. The best way that I tell clients is dawn dishsoap and a soft bristle toothbrush. It's important to get underneath the ring as that will directly affect the brilliance. It's also new so you'll get acclimated to a little wear on your platinum. Mine is scratched to hell, haha. You could look at getting a home ultrasonic although I found nothing compares to the jewelry store clean. You're always welcome to go in and get it cleaned too! Congratulations, and enjoy it!!

ETA- Carry a solvent cloth in your purse and take it off and give it a nice rub down. Human oils are really hard on diamonds, and that's just part of every day life.
Thank you for the advice!

Is your ring a 5-stone with pave around the setting as well? Many of the past posts I have seen warn that the ultrasonic will loosen those tiny stones and to avoid it. The only exposed platinum on this one is that small, maybe 2mm wide spot at the base of the setting for sizing, otherwise it is completed covered. Do you mean i will see wear on the platinum prongs holding the pave diamonds in?

Also, will the dawn dish-soap, over time, leave a soap scum buildup at all?

And, what is a solvent cloth? Did a quick google search and am not sure what you mean.
 

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 11, 2011
Messages
5,495
Re: Trying to settle the pros/cons of micropave cleaning met

First, your ring is GORGEOUS!

Do not put your pave in any kind of sonic/ultrasonic cleaner! I have a three-sided pave ring that is platinum and I find that the ammonia-based cleaners do the best job of cleaning it. When I don't have those at home, I soak it in half windex/half water. I always scrub gently with a soft toothbrush (I use a baby toothbrush - https://www.amazon.com/RADIUS-Toothbrush-months-Ultra-Bristles/dp/B003KJBGGU/ which I started ordering to brush my cat's teeth with lol). Don't clean anything that isn't platinum/diamond/sapphire in an ammonia-based cleaner or windex though because it can damage gold or softer stones (for those things, just use warm soapy water). Yours may need different care than mine because my pave has ajours cutouts underneath so I can reach the underside of the diamonds and it looks like yours does not, which will make it harder to dislodge dirt that has collected underneath (and may require soaking for longer).

"Also, will the dawn dish-soap, over time, leave a soap scum buildup at all?"

If you get the correct kind, it won't. Get ones that are supposed to cut grease but don't say anything about being soft on hands (which usually means they have lotions in them). If you're worried about that, spraying your ring down with isopropyl alcohol after cleaning should get rid of that. People also like to use the canned air to dry the rings as some eagle-eyed folks on this forum can see water rings left after drying if they don't (I've never been able to, but I also have a sapphire rather than a big diamond so maybe that makes a difference).
 

diamond5678

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 15, 2016
Messages
21
Re: Trying to settle the pros/cons of micropave cleaning met

distracts|1474396605|4078923 said:
First, your ring is GORGEOUS!

Do not put your pave in any kind of sonic/ultrasonic cleaner! I have a three-sided pave ring that is platinum and I find that the ammonia-based cleaners do the best job of cleaning it. When I don't have those at home, I soak it in half windex/half water. I always scrub gently with a soft toothbrush (I use a baby toothbrush - https://www.amazon.com/RADIUS-Toothbrush-months-Ultra-Bristles/dp/B003KJBGGU/ which I started ordering to brush my cat's teeth with lol). Don't clean anything that isn't platinum/diamond/sapphire in an ammonia-based cleaner or windex though because it can damage gold or softer stones (for those things, just use warm soapy water). Yours may need different care than mine because my pave has ajours cutouts underneath so I can reach the underside of the diamonds and it looks like yours does not, which will make it harder to dislodge dirt that has collected underneath (and may require soaking for longer).

"Also, will the dawn dish-soap, over time, leave a soap scum buildup at all?"

If you get the correct kind, it won't. Get ones that are supposed to cut grease but don't say anything about being soft on hands (which usually means they have lotions in them). If you're worried about that, spraying your ring down with isopropyl alcohol after cleaning should get rid of that. People also like to use the canned air to dry the rings as some eagle-eyed folks on this forum can see water rings left after drying if they don't (I've never been able to, but I also have a sapphire rather than a big diamond so maybe that makes a difference).
Thank you so much! This is very helpful.

1. What other ammonia-based cleaner do you suggest? Is something better than windex or that does the trick?
2. And thank you for the clarification about Dawn! mine does say it is soft on hands so I will get a different one.
3. Is it ok to have rubbing alcohol be the last substance on the ring? I wouldn't need to soak with water after to get the alcohol off?
4. when you mentioned that yours has cutouts, do you mean reaching the underside of the pave stones? I can't see how I would clean under the tiny diamonds, they are set pretty tight in there and packed in! Or did you mean reaching under the center stone? That I think I can reach with a brush.
 

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 11, 2011
Messages
5,495
Re: Trying to settle the pros/cons of micropave cleaning met

diamond5678|1474401171|4078953 said:
1. What other ammonia-based cleaner do you suggest? Is something better than windex or that does the trick?
2. And thank you for the clarification about Dawn! mine does say it is soft on hands so I will get a different one.
3. Is it ok to have rubbing alcohol be the last substance on the ring? I wouldn't need to soak with water after to get the alcohol off?
4. when you mentioned that yours has cutouts, do you mean reaching the underside of the pave stones? I can't see how I would clean under the tiny diamonds, they are set pretty tight in there and packed in! Or did you mean reaching under the center stone? That I think I can reach with a brush.
At the grocery store and other places they have premade jewelry-cleaner solution in little containers, often with a strainer thing that you can lift out and a little brush. They usually have ammonia-based and non-ammonia-based ones. At the grocery stores near me, they're usually by nail polish and cotton balls and things, but at Target they're by the jewelry section.

Rubbing alcohol evaporates quickly, so yes it is perfectly fine. If you use 70% it will kill germs, if you use 90-99% it will evaporate faster but I think the less water means it doesn't kill as many germs for some reason having to do with cell walls, or something. Too lazy right now to look it up. I use 99% on my jewelry, you can easily order it on Amazon or pick it up from an electronics store (usually it's used for cleaning circuit boards and things). I think it's fine on gold but like most cleaning methods, use carefully with semiprecious gemstones and not at all with things like pearls and opals.

And yes, mine has cutouts underneath the pave stones, on the inside of the ring. Your center stone will be easy to clean but the pave will be harder when stuff gets trapped under it, and the only method of cleaning under them will be soaking.
 

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Feb 19, 2014
Messages
167
Re: Trying to settle the pros/cons of micropave cleaning met

hi,

steven did my ring as well... he told me I could use ultra sonic machine on it... though i only have one sided pave. I usually use warm water/dawn with a baby brush
 

Karl_K

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Aug 4, 2008
Messages
9,443
Re: Trying to settle the pros/cons of micropave cleaning met

When in doubt talk to the person who made it and see what they recommend.
 

diamond5678

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 15, 2016
Messages
21
Re: Trying to settle the pros/cons of micropave cleaning met

distracts|1474410194|4079004 said:
diamond5678|1474401171|4078953 said:
1. What other ammonia-based cleaner do you suggest? Is something better than windex or that does the trick?
2. And thank you for the clarification about Dawn! mine does say it is soft on hands so I will get a different one.
3. Is it ok to have rubbing alcohol be the last substance on the ring? I wouldn't need to soak with water after to get the alcohol off?
4. when you mentioned that yours has cutouts, do you mean reaching the underside of the pave stones? I can't see how I would clean under the tiny diamonds, they are set pretty tight in there and packed in! Or did you mean reaching under the center stone? That I think I can reach with a brush.
At the grocery store and other places they have premade jewelry-cleaner solution in little containers, often with a strainer thing that you can lift out and a little brush. They usually have ammonia-based and non-ammonia-based ones. At the grocery stores near me, they're usually by nail polish and cotton balls and things, but at Target they're by the jewelry section.

Rubbing alcohol evaporates quickly, so yes it is perfectly fine. If you use 70% it will kill germs, if you use 90-99% it will evaporate faster but I think the less water means it doesn't kill as many germs for some reason having to do with cell walls, or something. Too lazy right now to look it up. I use 99% on my jewelry, you can easily order it on Amazon or pick it up from an electronics store (usually it's used for cleaning circuit boards and things). I think it's fine on gold but like most cleaning methods, use carefully with semiprecious gemstones and not at all with things like pearls and opals.

And yes, mine has cutouts underneath the pave stones, on the inside of the ring. Your center stone will be easy to clean but the pave will be harder when stuff gets trapped under it, and the only method of cleaning under them will be soaking.
Thank you for all of the tips! I really appreciate your help and explanations.
 

diamond5678

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 15, 2016
Messages
21
Re: Trying to settle the pros/cons of micropave cleaning met

Wendylynne|1474418373|4079041 said:
hi,

steven did my ring as well... he told me I could use ultra sonic machine on it... though i only have one sided pave. I usually use warm water/dawn with a baby brush
thank you for letting me know!
 

diamond5678

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 15, 2016
Messages
21
Re: Trying to settle the pros/cons of micropave cleaning met

Karl_K|1474432668|4079109 said:
When in doubt talk to the person who made it and see what they recommend.
Yes, you are right, I definitely will reach out in the next few days, I was hoping for a detailed explanation from my fiance but probably best to go to the source :)
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Re: Trying to settle the pros/cons of micropave cleaning met

Hi.

I personally just use dawn, boiling water and a little windex and a soft toothbrush. I'm low tech like that. If I had the money (and wasn't a klutz) and the space to house it, I would get a steam cleaner. But that's never going to happen.

I take some dawn and windex and put it into a cup. Pour boiling water in it. Let it soak about 10 minutes and fish it out with the handle of the toothbrush and give it a nice brushing. Put it back in the water and leave it for a while (until I remember to grab it). Then I take it out again, brush it again, and pour all the liquid over it. Give it a rinse in the sink (blocked off so there can be no traveling down pipes) with hot water. Then let it dry. You can get clothes to dry it with. No streak/microfiber.

That's really all I do. That and get it steamed professionally whenever I am in a local store wearing my ring.

:wavey: :wavey:

I don't think there really is a 'best'. There are 'not advisable' ways to clean it. But as long as you are careful with it, you should be okay with most methods. I don't personally care for ultrasonics with pave. So I generally avoid that. Steven did say that mine is fine with an ultrasonic. So I do let it be cleaned in one at the jewelers. But I personally prefer low tech for home cleaning.
 

diamond5678

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 15, 2016
Messages
21
Re: Trying to settle the pros/cons of micropave cleaning met

Gypsy|1474598462|4079774 said:
Hi.

I personally just use dawn, boiling water and a little windex and a soft toothbrush. I'm low tech like that. If I had the money (and wasn't a klutz) and the space to house it, I would get a steam cleaner. But that's never going to happen.

I take some dawn and windex and put it into a cup. Pour boiling water in it. Let it soak about 10 minutes and fish it out with the handle of the toothbrush and give it a nice brushing. Put it back in the water and leave it for a while (until I remember to grab it). Then I take it out again, brush it again, and pour all the liquid over it. Give it a rinse in the sink (blocked off so there can be no traveling down pipes) with hot water. Then let it dry. You can get clothes to dry it with. No streak/microfiber.

That's really all I do. That and get it steamed professionally whenever I am in a local store wearing my ring.

:wavey: :wavey:

I don't think there really is a 'best'. There are 'not advisable' ways to clean it. But as long as you are careful with it, you should be okay with most methods. I don't personally care for ultrasonics with pave. So I generally avoid that. Steven did say that mine is fine with an ultrasonic. So I do let it be cleaned in one at the jewelers. But I personally prefer low tech for home cleaning.
Thank you so much for replying, hearing your thoughts and speaking with Steven's office yesterday makes me feel a lot better about care and maintenance of these beautiful pieces. And again, even though some people don't say it, many people silently read your posts, study past examples you shared, and make forever-decisions based on your knowledge, which I appreciate. It's hard to find professionally-unbiased help in the diamond world before a purchase!!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020
    Van Cleef & Arpels Perlee Clovers Bracelet
    Van Cleef & Arpels Perlee Clovers Bracelet

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top