shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help. Marquise e ring reset help needed.

kikibrown

Rough_Rock
My sweet husband proposed to me with a marquise cut diamond solitaire. I'll tell you now that next to a heart shaped diamond the marquise was the furthest from my desire. We never talked diamonds or engagement before he popped the question so he would not have known this. What he did do was purchase a very nice diamond: 1.1 ct, G color, VS1. I have worn it proudly for 7 years but I'm ready to reset it. Even though I'm not a fan of the cut I do have a very strong sentimental attachment to it so I'm not looking to upgrade. I do want to reset it to give it more finger presence and bling. Additionally, I want to upgrade my band. The wedding band I have was given to me by my mom. It was her 10th anni ring. She passed it on as a blessing for my marriage. I absolutely love the sentiment. I now have 2 daughters (1 and 3) and would love to do the same for them some day. So with my reset I need to buy 2 bands. Here is what I'd like to do:

Incorporate the diamonds from my mothers band in to the e ring. I'm thinking halo?
2 eternity bands to sandwich the e ring

I have been searching pics of marquise halo rings but many look too much like a cocktail ring. Some of the east/west sets look like football rings although I love the idea of that setting because it is different. I also think I could wear larger eternity bands if it were set this way. If set traditionally I'd probably do thin bands. Anyhow, I would appreciate any feedback and definitely any pictures you can share for my consideration. I am a newbie and since following and searching these threads I know there is a lot of knowledge here. I am open to whatever you can offer.

Thank you so much!

_9019.jpg

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. I pretty much had that exact set when I first got engaged!!! :shock: Except my e-ring also had channel set diamonds on the shank to match the band.

A Halo is probably going to be your best bet. To make it even more unique, you could do a split shank. I recently upgraded to a 2 carat round, so I had mine made into a cocktail ring to wear on my right hand. The pic is in my avatar.

Here are a few pics I found for you..

r1649handa.jpg

4337--lp1683-a.jpeg

_116.jpeg

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock

kikibrown

Rough_Rock
nowicanseethemoon|1376942573|3506106 said:

Thank you so much. I really love that yellow halo. LOVE!

kikibrown

Rough_Rock
soxfan|1376940593|3506088 said:

Your cocktail ring is beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing the links Soxfan! I found several that I have pinned to obsess over. I know the right idea will come. I saw a very nice e/w setting in one of these links that I think I can make "mine" and be able to wear two larger eternity bands with as well.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i just recently bought a marquise. I understand a lot of peoples feelings about them, but i think they are just stinking beautiful and i think youve got yourself an amazing one!

here are a few of my favorites!

lmmqwpears.jpg

or this if it was set E/W. i think the bezel does wonders. and i don think it would look toooo much like a football, though im not sure if id say thats a bad thing

294_0.jpg

and then theres mine, i really actually like baguettes with a marquise, very classic looking, not 80s at all ( have no good ones on its own so you have to get the whole hand set )

uploadfromtaptalk1376508659738.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This EXACT halo is what I'd pick. The thin bezel, the beautiful page... it's perfection.
294_0.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1376975909|3506383 said:
This EXACT halo is what I'd pick. The thin bezel, the beautiful page... it's perfection.
294_0.jpg

That's a ritani setting, if you liked it OP :wavey:

kikibrown

Rough_Rock
Thank you for sharing. I love yours with the baguettes. Very classic. I also adore that three stone ring. Now the juices are flowing :)

kikibrown

Rough_Rock
294_0.jpg

Thank you for sharing! I actually pinned this beauty on Pinterest last night. It's a stunner. It this was almost a 2 ct stone and I'm wondering if my little rock will look as nice?

kikibrown

Rough_Rock
Here's another beauty I found. I got an estimate on having a custom done of this but is be paying more for the setting than the center diamond is worth. Those pinkies sure are pricey. But aren't they lovely?!

_9095.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kikibrown said:
294_0.jpg

Thank you for sharing! I actually pinned this beauty on Pinterest last night. It's a stunner. It this was almost a 2 ct stone and I'm wondering if my little rock will look as nice?

Not exactly the same shape but helpful I think. I had that setting for a 0.9 ct pear and it was beautiful.

uploadfromtaptalk1377042521060.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1377042567121.jpg

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kikibrown|1377039262|3506884 said:
294_0.jpg

That's the thing. It's a fine line with a marquise. To make some of the more stunning settings work, you need a bigger stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've seen that ritani halo many times... and I think that it actually looks best with average sized stones. And a 1 carat marquis isn't SMALL. Those are spready stones. I mean I see your handshots and I'm not thinking "small".... Your stone would look fabulous in that setting.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I think Niel's .9 ct. pear looked great in that setting, so I think the OP's 1.1 marquise would also look beautiful set that way and it wouldn't look like a cocktail ring.

liz

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1377044455|3506935 said:
I've seen that ritani halo many times... and I think that it actually looks best with average sized stones. And a 1 carat marquis isn't SMALL. Those are spready stones. I mean I see your handshots and I'm not thinking "small".... Your stone would look fabulous in that setting.

agreed, when i think "small marquise" i think like .3 cts or something. I rarely EVER see a marquise over .5 cts, and i think the size plus a delicate setting would be stunning. Plus, I like how the thin bezel brings out the shape

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
also, have you seen this? I still like the ritani, but if your afraid if it looking too blingy or something

Attachments

• tacori.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 1,711

kikibrown

Rough_Rock
Niel|1377042570|3506920 said:
kikibrown said:
294_0.jpg

Not exactly the same shape but helpful I think. I had that setting for a 0.9 ct pear and it was beautiful.

Thank you for sharing. It's lovely! Perhaps my stone would look nice with that setting.

And perhaps referring to my diamond as small was not the right way to put it. I should have said I wonder if a diamond half the size of the one pictured would look ok in the setting. My apologies if I sounded crude.

And thanks for all the feedback. This quest has become a real joy for me!

kikibrown

Rough_Rock
Niel|1377045754|3506946 said:
also, have you seen this? I still like the ritani, but if your afraid if it looking too blingy or something

I really like this one! I'm definitely not opposed to bling though. Lol!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was responding to the Op's comment "This was a 2 carat stone."

It is my opinion that some of the better looking settings have larger stones. That is all. I don't want her to set it and say "you know what? It DOESN'T look like I wanted it to in relation to my hand."

That's all. She is set on using her marquise. She wants "more finger presence and bling." I have been through the same thing. Searching for about 7 years. I want her to look at the finger coverage, the shape, all of it.....

Marquise ARE spready. I agree with that. But to really LOVE a marquise when you it wasn't your first choice? I would keep looking. I re-set mine and when I got it, I didn't LOVE it. It had to grow to love it as a cocktail ring. And in the end, I chose to upgrade to a round.

I'm not in any WAY saying your diamond is small. Mine was .89 or close to that- smaller than yours! Everyone always commented on how big it was. I am just saying if you are re-setting this to be your everyday e-ring, consider proportions on settings you find online. That's all.

I LOVE the marquise cut. I think it's really unique and old-fashioned. I hope that it makes a HUGE comeback and someday my daughter wants mine as her e-ring!!!

Carry on....

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
also, check out fay cullen and blue sapphire halos. Really cool!

kikibrown

Rough_Rock
soxfan|1377047016|3506961 said:
also, check out fay cullen and blue sapphire halos. Really cool!

Looking now! Sapphire is my birth stone! Loooove!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always wanted a Marquise in a Vintage setting as a right hand dress ring (maybe one day) something like one of these;

marquise_1_1.jpg

marquise_2.jpg

marquise_3_1356630018_1-01.jpg

xxx_19_1370581818_1-01.jpg

xxx_344_1355353177_1-02.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen this.

uploadfromtaptalk1377049219049.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan said:

It is my opinion that some of the better looking settings have larger stones. That is all. I don't want her to set it and say "you know what? It DOESN'T look like I wanted it to in relation to my hand."

That's all. She is set on using her marquise. She wants "more finger presence and bling." I have been through the same thing. Searching for about 7 years. I want her to look at the finger coverage, the shape, all of it.....

Marquise ARE spready. I agree with that. But to really LOVE a marquise when you it wasn't your first choice? I would keep looking. I re-set mine and when I got it, I didn't LOVE it. It had to grow to love it as a cocktail ring. And in the end, I chose to upgrade to a round.

I'm not in any WAY saying your diamond is small. Mine was .89 or close to that- smaller than yours! Everyone always commented on how big it was. I am just saying if you are re-setting this to be your everyday e-ring, consider proportions on settings you find online. That's all.

I LOVE the marquise cut. I think it's really unique and old-fashioned. I hope that it makes a HUGE comeback and someday my daughter wants mine as her e-ring!!!

Carry on....

Hey! You're right, bringing yo that its "smaller" is a good point ::)

I do think it would be very flattering in that setting in the size it is. Didn't mean to sound like we were jumping at you ;-)

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1377049364|3506984 said:
soxfan said:

Carry on....

Hey! You're right, bringing yo that its "smaller" is a good point ::)

I do think it would be very flattering in that setting in the size it is. Didn't mean to sound like we were jumping at you ;-)

It's fine. I just didn't want people to think I was saying a one carat is small. But TONS of gorg settings are with huge rocks. Hell, I was dead set on Catherine Zeta-Jones' ring. Until I found out it was like 10 carats. Yeah, not the same look.... :roll:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1377049231|3506981 said:
Have you seen this.

LOVE. Is that Fay Cullen?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1377050554|3506996 said:
Niel|1377049231|3506981 said:
Have you seen this.