shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help Find Tanzanite

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m actually just putting together a”wish list” for Mother’s Day. It’s not too early, right? :whistle:

I’m looking for a tanzanite that is either square, emerald cut, cushion; basically 4 sided over round. I like the blue-purple ones more than the warmer purples. Saturation wise, I’m liking the middle range; not too dark nor too light.

My plan would be to make it into a pendant. Price range.... $300-400 would be might be about right, but there might be wiggle room in both directions.

I’ve found this one but do not feel even remotely experienced enough yet to know what’s good and what’s not. I can’t even tell if this is the blue-purple I like. This is from a highly appreciated vendor here, but I still don’t know how to know if what I’m seeing is good.
8E7908DA-71EF-4CAD-B913-A6E074400A21.jpeg

This is the color I’m aiming for:
02F06CD2-B653-43FA-9376-F4DB6928668C.jpeg

The more options I put on my wish list the better, so all ideas are welcome!

Thanks!:roll2:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a nice stone, but it's slightly grayish and more purple than blue. With tanzanite, many people have their own personal preference. The trade preference is a medium dark vivid violetish blue. See the helpful guide below.

http://www.lapigems.com/tanzanite_buying_guide.asp

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
17125A0D-8793-428F-9CB1-C7817DE41BD7.jpeg Hello , I bought mine from top tanzanite in New York. It’s pretty blue. If you’re interested they have all sizes and shapes and Good cuts though not fancy cuts. You can reach to a guy named vaibhav shah and give him my reference with this image. He was great to work with.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's a nice stone, but it's slightly grayish and more purple than blue. With tanzanite, many people have their own personal preference. The trade preference is a medium dark vivid violetish blue. See the helpful guide below.

http://www.lapigems.com/tanzanite_buying_guide.asp

I was wondering why it was still available. That’s a good article. Thanks!

I’m still open to looking at suggestions. :roll2:

Gemobsessed, what a veautiful ring!

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m noticing that the higher quality tanzanite gems are very, very saturated, making them look quite dark; similar to dark sapphires. They make me think they’d make the perfect mourning stone in eras past when one moved from all black to purple in the mourning phases. While very pretty, I think I’d like to find a medium saturated tanzanite. Any ideas on where to look?

Thanks!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LittleRed Jeff Davies had quite a few tanzanites if you want to check out his eBay and website.

I remember seeing lots a few months ago but I'm not sure what's left now as I don't pay much attention to the blues.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@LittleRed when we first started looking for a tanzanite pear in the LA jewelry district we found an ocean of smaller stones in various shades of purple, and often poorly cut. However, with persistence, we did find dealers who had high quality, blue tanzanite. It was variously called "AAA grade" or "Block D" tanzanite. The true blue material is a little more expensive, but not by too much, you just have to find the right vendor.

We were very lucky when we found a vendor with high quality material, he didn't have a pear. However he was exhibiting at the Tucson show the following week, and offered to look for a pear for us. This is what he found.

Kevin 9.30ct 3.jpeg

If you are patient your stone will come along, and at the right price, although you may have to be prepared to negotiate. ;-)

Attachments

• Kevin 9.30ct 3.jpeg
    Kevin 9.30ct 3.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the stones I have seen in this thread are beautiful. I am used to seeing washed out, pale lilac stones that people call "tanzanite" (and that, technically, are tanzanite). All of the stones I saw as I glanced through this thread are great blue and purple colors. Some looked like beautiful sapphires. I have a good tanzanite that is often mistaken for a sapphire. That's OK with me. :))

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@LittleRed Jeff Davies had quite a few tanzanites if you want to check out his eBay and website.

I remember seeing lots a few months ago but I'm not sure what's left now as I don't pay much attention to the blues.

Thanks! I did not know he had an eBay store so will keep an eye out there too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results