shape
carat
color
clarity

Please HELP a newbie!! Q regarding Fancy Yellow Radiant Cut stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ac7228

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading this site religiously for the past 2 months and finally am ready to make the BIG purchase.

I have decided on a natural Fancy Colored Yellow (undecided on the actual color intensity of the yellow yet)

It will be a Radiant cut.

I have found a Fancy Yellow Radiant Cut in 1.26 ct with the following specs copied from the GIA certificate:

- Cut Cornered Rectangular Modified Brilliant
- Depth 59.4%
- Table 59%
- Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick
- Cutlet: NONE
- Polish: GOOD
- Symmetry: VERY GOOD
- Clarity Grade: VS1
- Origin: NATURAL
- Grade: FANCY YELLOW
- Distribution: EVEN
- Flourescence: NONE

The price for the stone is $10K. Is this a good deal? I have read a lot about the depth and table size. The table size on this particular stone is slightly smaller than the depth but since both are right under 60%, what can I expect to see or not see?

Thanks in advance for your reply and assistance!!! I sincerely appreciate your advice/input/comments.

Happy Holidays!!!!!

ScheinerDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Hi,
10k is high for this diamond.
Even if it is a very good fancy yellow the price is high. Mid 6000 to 7000 would be more like it.
The diamonds looks good on paper. The depth can have an affect on the color depth. Unlike white diamonds where you try to loose as much color as possible, cutters try to keep in as much color as possible in yellow diamonds so a slightly deeper diamond in a fancy yellow may be a good thing.
In yellow diamonds the most important thing is the color. Clarity comes second.
Hope this helps,
Michael
www.scheinerdiamonds.com

ac7228

Rough_Rock
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. The diamond is actually a Fancy Intense Yellow. My gf was reading the GIA report to me over cell phones while I was typing in into the posting and I couldn't hear her that well.

All other specs are correct except that it's a Fancy Intense Yellow.

So you don't think the low table and depth number is bad? I read too deep (>70%) is not good either but haven't read too much about 59% depth.

Thanks again!

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
IceStore has a large number of GIA graded yellow stones to browse through. It looks like their price for a similar radiant is ~$9000.

If Mike can offer one in the $6 to$7k range you''d better jump on it!

ScheinerDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Hi,
Sorry to only get back to you today.
For an Intense the price is better but still a bit high.
A depth of is 70 fine. The diamond may look a little samller than one with a 65 depth but the color will probably look better and the diamond shoud be cheaper as well.
Michael

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/22/2005 7:27:01 PM
Author: ac7228

So you don''t think the low table and depth number is bad?

As far as I know, the ''rules'' about proportions change dramatically from colorless to colored. I am not too savvy about the details unfortunately. It makes sense though - in the near colorless range it makes sense to hide color - for colored diamonds it makes sense to deepen it. And Since colored are color graded face up not face down like the colorless ones, allot is about cut and the apparent color. It is not unheard of to have a ''fancy yellow'' recut to bring up the color better, and have it regraded ''fancy intense'' as a result.

The differences are rather subtle though - definitely not something easy rules of thumb about depth and table could be useful to tell.

About the 10k... ''guess you can do better.

Even about size - total depth is definitely not the absolute indication that a certain radiant cut has better ''spread''. It makes more sense to compare size directly since it is plain to see on the lab report (as diameter). And for better color, I would trade some ''spread'' in too. Otherwise, what''s the use of going ''fancy intense''.

On top of it all, ''fancy intense'' is not as narrow a grade as, say, G color. There is room for visible differences from near ''fancy yellow'' to near vivid. And be sure you will pay for them even if not aware of it.
38.gif
This doesn''t mean that if you are paying some high premium, this guarantees that the particular stone has indeed stronger color for the grade. It is never that easy. At least if you do go for a good price in the color range, chances are higher to actually get a good deal.

My 2c

ac7228

Rough_Rock
Hi Michael,

Thanks for replying again.

Since it looks like you''re in the business, will you be able to locate one for me with the same specs or better for under $10K?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results