shape
carat
color
clarity

Please get me started in the Pearl World

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to buy my daughter pearl studs and possibly a necklace for her wedding.She is wearing faux pearls now and loves the look. I would like her to have the real thing. Could someone please tell me how to start understanding how to buy good pearls and where might be a good place to purchase them? Thanks.

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
We have a "Trusted Vendor" list that is at the top of the forum. PearlParadise and PurePearls have education sections that I think you will find helpful.

I'm guessing you will be wanting white, round pearls. I think those are traditional for weddings. I suggest you look at their information on Akoya and freshwater pearls.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! That is very helpful. I'm on it!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is another forum, dedicated to all things pearl- I joined it when I started buying pearls and learned a huge amount.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Akoya are lovely but if your budget won’t allow them - I went for freshwater pearls (FWP). I got white freshadamas from PP and also metallic white FWP from PP. I only wear the metallics as I prefer the look (akoya-like) but both are very nice. The freshadamas have rose overtones and the metallics are bluish.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For roundness and luster, you can't really beat akoyas, especially high grade akoyas. They are the classic pearls and if that is the look you want for the wedding pearls, akoyas are what I would get, budget permitting.

I have (vintage) round akoyas, Freshadamas and AAA metallic white FWP. The akoyas are more lustrous than the Freshadamas and rounder than the AAA metallic whites. That said, you really can save money getting Freshadamas.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everything everybody said above is spot on. Are these going to be future heirlooms? You have to figure out how much you want to pay. Then you need to know desired size. Color and luster are very, very important and will determine the additive cost of the pearl. Pearl pricing is like diamond pricing, as size, rarity and quality determine price. Japanese Akoyas are known for the color and luster. But as pearl size increases so does the price. Check out a Mikimoto store for pricing and quality. Chinese Freshwater pearls are less expensive than the Akoyas and the farming methods are vastly improving every year. You now see beautiful large pearls with beautiful'-near Akoya-like' luster (Freshadamas, AAA etc) with wallet pleasing prices. Of course there are also Tahitian and South Seas pearls...but that is for a different post.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
What a lovely gift. I'd echo all the advice above-- I have freshadamas (among other pearls) and have been very happy with them, although I'll be upgrading to either Mikimoto akoya strand or a certified hanadama strand when funds permit.

One thing I'd urge you to consider is instead of getting a strand, consider a tin cup style for the necklace. For younger women, the classic strand can be difficult to wear, while the tin cup (or station) style is much easier to wear for non-formal occasions.

Also, depending on her style, you might consider Kojima Pearl or Ehret Design Gallery (Druzydesigns on ebay). They both source more off the beaten path earrings and necklaces. I also love the druzydesign drop earrings with 18k/22k gold accents. They've got tahitians, golden south seas, and white freshwaters but they've just got a little extra flair than a pair of plain white studs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results