shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lara

Rough_Rock
Does the inscription PLAT in a ring mean it is not all platinum- or possibly that it is silver or white gold dipped in platinum? My e-ring and wedding ring say PT 950. Does anyone know what the difference is? Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is 95% platinum alloyed with 5% of another metal.

Here's a link to an interesting discussion in the FAQ's:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/white-gold-vs-platinum.12048/

1.gif

lara

Rough_Rock
Thanks PQ- do you mean the rings that say PT 950 or the one that says PLAT? I was wondering about the one that says PLAT?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I'm not an expert, but I was under the same impression that PQ was: PLAT means 95% platinum. In Europe, only 95% (and above, though that would hardly be suitable for jewelry) is allowed to have a platinum hallmark.

BearMan

Shiny_Rock
what about this PLADIUM i just read about....good or bad??

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
Palladium is in the Platinum group, but really isn't used much by itself. You are probably referring to its use in place of nickel for white gold alloys.
Palladium white gold tends to be whiter and IMHO a better metal than nickel-based white gold, and non-allergenic to boot.
It is a good form of white gold, but if you are in the market for platinum, platinum it isn't.

karenb

Rough_Rock
Lara,

I read somewhere that the US Federal Trade Commission's guidelines on platinum markings is that if it contains 950 parts or more per thousand of pure platinum...it can be marked just "Platinum" or "Plat" without other markings.

Karen

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Here's a good site on platinum quality markings.

http://www.professionaljeweler.com/archives/articles/1998/apr98/0498fp1.html

If a piece is designated with only PLAT or PLATINUM, then the above posters are correct in that it is (at least) at 95% mixture of platinum, most likely alloyed with cobalt for hardness.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Legal or not, "PLAT" is often used for 90% platinum or 95% platinum, regardless of the alloy used for the other 5 or 10 percent of the weight. I have found no one in my area using palladium as an alloy although we hear about its use. Most jewelry made of platinum is alloyed with ruthenium, iridium or a small minority with cobalt. When it comes to wearing these items, there is not much visible difference. Certain mixes make harder and springier metal than others which are somewhat softer. That has a lot to do with what the craftman selects for the alloy mix.

The legal rules of what ought to be stamped are outlined above, but you can't really depend on rigid attention being paid to these basically honor system rules. I suppose that if it mattered more, there would be more enforcement and more attention paid to it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results