shape
carat
color
clarity

platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

twein28

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

If I get a platinum E ring, do I have to get a platinum wedding band? I have read that you have to get the same, but what if I want the white gold wedding band to save money. Also, I am leaning towards platinum, but when I was wearing the sample ring yesterday, it felt very heavy on my hand. Do you get used to this heaviness?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
In my opinion, yes, you get used to the heaviness.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
You don''t have to get the same, but the two will look fairly different in colour unless they are both rhodium plated, especially once platinum gets a bit of patina on it. It doesn''t bother everybody, but it would irk some.

Weight-wise, I think you''d get used to the extra 3 grams (1/10 oz)...

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
yes, you do. i would get the platinum. GL!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2009 1:46:36 PM
Author:twein28
Hi all,

If I get a platinum E ring, do I have to get a platinum wedding band? I have read that you have to get the same, but what if I want the white gold wedding band to save money. Also, I am leaning towards platinum, but when I was wearing the sample ring yesterday, it felt very heavy on my hand. Do you get used to this heaviness?
I wear white gold with platinum all the time, it doesn't look all that different IMO. I would probably do 14K white gold because it will have more nickel and therefore retain it's whiteness better. White gold arose out of the fact that platinum was rare and costly, and people wanted a substitute. You do get used to the heaviness of platinum. I have two platinum bands. One weighs 28 grams, and the other 18 grams, and even I got used to that. Most platinum bands are 10 grams or less. Palladium is also another alternative that stays white (it can turn greyish over time though) and it's less expensive than platinum.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I mix metals, and yes in imo, you''ll adjust to the weight.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
You definitely get used to the heaviness, and you get used to wearing a ring period - I never wore rings until I got engaged, and it was a big adjustment.

Also, I remember when I was looking, I was told you shouldn''t mix metals when they''ll be rubbing up against each other. I don''t remember the entire reason, but I think it had to do with how they might eat into each other.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a ring you hope to wear the rest of your life, I''d think the platinum would be worth it. It would have to be a huge ring to even notice the weight on your finger.

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
Would it be possible to ask the jeweler to dip the white gold ring in platinum? I too have read/heard that it''s not good to mix the too metals because they can wear away each other. If the platinum is harder, I''m thinking it could wear away the gold, while making the platinum brittle. I don''t really know.

But while I''m not into matchy-matchy, from a personal perspective, I''d prefer my two rings to be the same metal so that the upkeep is parallel. I don''t want to be sending one away to be re-plated, then when that comes back, send the other away to be polished. But obviously, it''s a personal preference and financial issue for many of us. I''ve seen plain platinum bands that are a few hundred dollars. I would rather buy that now if money was an issue, then upgrade to the fancy band in a year or two. But everyone''s different.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2009 8:13:33 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
You definitely get used to the heaviness, and you get used to wearing a ring period - I never wore rings until I got engaged, and it was a big adjustment.

Also, I remember when I was looking, I was told you shouldn''t mix metals when they''ll be rubbing up against each other. I don''t remember the entire reason, but I think it had to do with how they might eat into each other.
True, platinum will rub away at the gold, especially if the band moves a lot on your finger. Platinum will not be lost since it''s properties are such that it cannot be scratched away. Platinum does scratch easily, but the platinum just displaces with the scratch, it never gets removed from the object. That''s why platinum prongs are so preferred to hold a stone, the metal doesn''t break down. However gold does scratch away and gold objects get lighter over time as a result due to the wear and tear of everyday life. If you''re buying a simple 14K gold band that you can easily replace in 20 years, I wouldn''t be concerned. If it has diamonds or something else on it, than perhaps.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I was surprised at how heavy platinum is. My set weighs a ton. I had them soldered together as the stones were getting loose from the rings vibrating against each other. I have gotten used to the weight. If you think this is your forever set do platinum, you won''t regret it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2009 10:55:33 PM
Author: WTNLVR
I was surprised at how heavy platinum is. My set weighs a ton. I had them soldered together as the stones were getting loose from the rings vibrating against each other. I have gotten used to the weight. If you think this is your forever set do platinum, you won't regret it.
Platinum is denser than karated gold and the atoms are more strongly bonded together than even 24K gold. Platinum weighs more than 24K gold as well. It's unbelievably heavy. I think a small brick weighs as much as an adult male or something like that. If you do get platinum, get a Platinum/Irridium alloy. Irridium is the hardest metal on earth, and will make for a very strong setting. Do not get a nickel alloy which is commonly used for platinum (it's a cheap metal, so why pay for it?). I adore platinum, I wish all my settings were made out of it, and the prices are almost the same as gold now I believe.

My heavy platinum band is fun to wear. Some people ask me to show them my "silver ring" and I say "sure" and I plop it in their hand. Silver is very lightweight so they go into a bit of a shock when their hand hits the floor.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Hi, the heaviness is part of the allure of platinum. If you want to know how heavy metals will be (14kt white gold, 14kt yellow, 18kt white gold, 18kt yellow, etc), there are charts that will list a density value for each. An 18kt gold yellow ring will be x percentage of the weight of platinum (which is at the top of that list) etc.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
yes, you get used to the platinum. Platinum is a more durable metal that keeps it''s shine for the most part. My E-ring is all platinum and I prefer a platinum wedding band to match simply because white gold can turn a bit yellow. Some people don''t mind that there is a little difference in look between their band and engagement ring, but I just prefer having them look alike.

lunemo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 9:47:51 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
For a ring you hope to wear the rest of your life, I''d think the platinum would be worth it. It would have to be a huge ring to even notice the weight on your finger.

I agree!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results