shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum vs white gold for prongs and custom wedding band?

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
I am going to have to redo the prongs on my ring (again), it’s only been a few months since I had them done and one is already cracked (local jeweler said) and they are lifted a little so the stone is moving.
I’m having DK make a wedding band for me so while I have that done, I’m going to have him set my new diamond and redo the prongs. I am going to have the diamond set all the way down in the halo this time.

Would you get platinum or white gold for the prongs? Would platinum make them sturdier? Would double claw prongs be more sturdy or another type of prong? He said we may just be able to fix the existing prongs, but I’m worried that if this happened in 3 months, it will happen again? Please include pictures if you have an idea

My next dilemma is the wedding band. I’m having a bezel eternity band with fine milgrain made. I’ve considered platinum, white gold, and unplated white gold (only concern is it wouldn’t match my e ring) OR I could be super bold and do 18k yellow gold. YG is my favorite metal but I’m not sure about mixing that with my halo e ring! I was thinking that platinum would be better so that the milgrain doesn’t get flattened or messed up if I bump it on something, but I just read about platinum vs white gold and I’m more confused than ever!?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!
461673C1-46A8-4CFA-8482-05C37EC7FA47.jpeg 9D2EE0D0-7236-4786-8C2E-235B638F64FB.jpeg This is the wedding band I’m having made except the diamonds are a bit smaller!

Last edited:

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Does DK have suggestions on white gold vs platinum for the prongs? He is a respected craftsman on this board, so I would think you could trust his judgement. As far as the metal on the band, I think it’s so personal! Mixed stacks seems quiet popular, but in the end, you are wearing the ring so go with your gut!! Good luck

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
Yes I need to ask me. The girl
Does DK have suggestions on white gold vs platinum for the prongs? He is a respected craftsman on this board, so I would think you could trust his judgement. As far as the metal on the band, I think it’s so personal! Mixed stacks seems quiet popular, but in the end, you are wearing the ring so go with your gut!! Good luck

Yes I do need to ask David! Thank you! Yes I just really need to see things before which isn’t possible when going custom.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like platinum because it's not brittle. You have a sizeable stone, I would ask DK to do fine double claw prongs. I like the look of 4 prongs, but I almost lost a stone years back in a ring with only 4 prongs & since then I am more careful. After that incident, I set my stone in a double 4 prong. After that one, I went for 8, found it to be too much metal, & settled on 6. Unless it's a style I have to use 4 prongs for, I will, otherwise, I play it safer. Your ring will look great with double prongs.

As for the wedding band, I think it largely depends on your style. If it were my band, I would keep the metal white, 18K to match the ring & buy stackers in yellow to mix around.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recognize that setting! ;-) Normally, I would be all for platinum prongs, BUT I believe there are some issues with soldering gold to platinum... but I could be wrong. Ask David and see what he thinks. :)

And yes to double claw prongs. Platinum on the band to preserve the milgrain and give a dainty ring some heft.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results