shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum Six Prong Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

furstwinhall

Rough_Rock
I was just wondering if anybody has seen this setting in person. It''s a platinum six prong from James Allen. I like the idea of a six prong, and this one seems to be an elegant choice. Any opinions are encouraged. Thanks.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Looks like a pretty typical "tiffany-style" 6-prong, albeit w/o the knife-edge shank. It''s a classic style and I have heard lots of good stuff about DCD/James Allen.

furstwinhall

Rough_Rock
You don'' think that there is a slight knife-edge there?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes there is a slight knife edge to it. The prongs are a bit heavy for my taste. I hope Demelza can chime in and show you her 6 prong setting, it''s the best one I''ve seen so far. Or blueroses can do her magic and post it for you. I am lame at that.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
it reminds me of my original wedding set..
i wouldn''t say it''s a knife edge but it''s not completely curved either.

mrssalvo.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Well duh for me, I didn''t look closely enough. There *IS*. It''s just a little more subtle than on some other settings....is there a profile shot? I''m going to check out their website. it''s VERY pretty.

furstwinhall

Rough_Rock
I guess that I should have posted this too :) I am just looking for feedback on the quality of the setting. There seem to be so many "tiffay style" replicas, but I happen to like the style and was just wondering if this was a good choice.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would feel very comfortable purchasing from James allen. I think the quality of their setting''s are good. they also have a very good return policy if you''re not happy..

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s Demelza''s tiffany setting link if you want to check it out..
SCTIFFREP0001_4.JPG

SCTIFFREP0001_2.JPG

SCTIFFREP0001.JPG

SCTIFFREP0001_3.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock

This is the one you posted--top down and profile view. It''s actually listed separately from their "knife edge" setting. I''ll post that one in a sec. It IS pretty--I agree that the basket is a little big, but it''s a lovely setting. I''ll go searching for Demelza''s in a sec.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Yay MrsS!!! Much faster than I would have done it!!!

The one you are looking at is called "Platinum HandMade Six Prong Basket Setting".....James Allen does have 2 others that they call Knife edge, but they have a thicker shank.

You should have no problem with them, like MrsS said, in terms of quality and return policy. I''ve seen some lovely custom work of theirs on PS.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
For comparison''s sake, here''s Whiteflash''s similar "6 prong tiffany style"

/images/site/g_lostF.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Between the two, I find the prongs on the James Allen one more appealing. Maybe b/c they''re a little bit different??

I''ve also heard great things about the tiffany-style settings from niceice.com and superbcert.

furstwinhall

Rough_Rock
The reason I liked the James Allenw as because I wanted a six prong platinum, and this one seemed pretty, but it was stretching my setting budget a little (after breaking the bank with the stone
41.gif
) . I agree, the basket does look a little large, and that was my concern that''s sort of why Iw anted to see one in "real life" so I could see if they look that big in reality. The supercert setting is awesome, just a little more than I wanted to spend, but I could be persuaded :)

furstwinhall

Rough_Rock
I like the whiteflash setting too, just looks like the diamond sits up alittle high for my taste. My girl works with horses, in and around a barn, (although I doubt she''ll wear it around the horses) so I wanted to get a setting set into the shank just a bit with six prongs so that the stone is a little more protected from snags etc.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
OOOh, DIamondseeker, I LIKE that one!! Like how the setting is a bit lower. (Though I know it is a bit pricy for what furstwinhall is seeking!!) ETA: If you are really concerned about the stone being safe for your active gal, have you considerded a bezel setting? Just a thought. But I love the classic look you're considering!!

One more, folks:
/images/site/g_lostF.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results