shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum re-sizing estimate

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0544.PNG IMG_0545.PNG IMG_0546.PNG So I bought a ring. 0.53ct G-H SI1/SI2 set in platinum, about 6mm wide band. It's a size 3.5 and I need to re-size it to size 5.5.

Back when I worked in a jewellery store, we charged $110 for re-sizing platinum. I got a discount because I was staff. This makes the estimates I've been getting now sting extra hard!

I'm getting estimates from goldsmiths in my community, and the first estimate I for was $300 for laser re-sizing, tightening the stone, and polishing. Ai yi yi! The ring was only $1000. I bought it because I love the setting and for that price I felt like the diamond was free haha.

But I may return the ring if i can't find a better re-sizing cost. We'll see. Would love to know your thoughts!

Note: my prices are in CAD. Also, my long-term plan is to eventually stick a 0.50ct ACA into the setting (once I save up a little more) and to use the existing diamond in a different mount I have.

Too bad I love platinum eh! So expensive to work with.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi pearaffair,

I'm not knowledgable in resizing costs but the ring looks pretty hefty & to get a 1/2 ct. diamond on top of that for $1000 seems pretty good! If you want to do some comparison shopping, ask a vendor to give you a quote for a new ring & see if it's worth it or not to get it resized. Would make one heck of a boss pinky ring if you kept it as is. LOL
Here is a page from Stuller... Look at #122062. Looks pretty close to what you bought.
https://www.stuller.com/browse/moun...23202&centerStone=&sortby=recent&pageSize=144

I'm not sure where in Canada you are, but I've found Adam at Bill Leboeuf Jewellers up in Barrie, ON, has given me pretty fair pricing on Stuller & for general repairs too. Tell him your a PS'r.
http://www.billleboeufjewellers.com

Have a good weekend.
Judy
:))

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi pearaffair,

I'm not knowledgable in resizing costs but the ring looks pretty hefty & to get a 1/2 ct. diamond on top of that for $1000 seems pretty good! If you want to do some comparison shopping, ask a vendor to give you a quote for a new ring & see if it's worth it or not to get it resized. Would make one heck of a boss pinky ring if you kept it as is. LOL
Here is a page from Stuller... Look at #122062. Looks pretty close to what you bought.
https://www.stuller.com/browse/mountings/bridal/bezel-set?showAll=False&bestSellers=False&facetValues[0].First=cat3&facetValues[0].Second=3_10979_23202&centerStone=&sortby=recent&pageSize=144

I'm not sure where in Canada you are, but I've found Adam at Bill Leboeuf Jewellers up in Barrie, ON, has given me pretty fair pricing on Stuller & for general repairs too. Tell him your a PS'r.
http://www.billleboeufjewellers.com

Have a good weekend.
Judy
:))

Thanks Judy! I appreciate you taking the time to weigh in. I think I will have to factor in a few things: how does the stone look? The listing said nothing about cut quality so I will have to factor that in. Also, do I love the setting? If I do, I might just wear it as a hella boss pinky ring (as you say!) until I one day work at a jewellery store again and can get a good discount on repairs. I'm a patient woman when I have to be.

I've looked at platinum mounts brand new, and they are almost always $1200+. Hence my desire to find something pre-made and second-hand.

I've been to Bill Le Boef's site before! He has a cool selection and it's nice to see Canadian prices. Unfortunately I'm closer to Vancouver than I am to Ontario. Thanks anyways for the tip :)

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just had a 3.2 mm plat ring sized up 1 size for $75. Multiply by 2 for 6 mm, and multiply by 2 for 2 sizes up. $75x2x2=$300. I am not sure pricing for sizing is this simple or linear but it seems reasonable.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS - Judy, now you're making my day. I just looked up the price for that stuller setting you highlighted, and in my size (5.5) in platinum with room for a 5.5mm stone (unset)... the price is $1800CAD or $1350USD. http://marlowdesign.ca/catalogue/

So I'm feeling pretty pumped about my boss little pinky ring ;-)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just had a 3.2 mm plat ring sized up 1 size for $75. Multiply by 2 for 6 mm, and multiply by 2 for 2 sizes up. $75x2x2=$300. I am not sure pricing for sizing is this simple or linear but it seems reasonable.

Ok. At least it doesn't sound totally insane. I will be contacting other goldsmiths, so we'll see what comes of it.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And for the record, $1000CAD is about $750USD. So even if I have to put a bit of money into this to bring it up to size 5.5, I still feel like I'm doing ok.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha if I keep it as a pinky ring I will have to dub thee... Lil' Boss. Yep. You better believe that I would start a SMTB thread!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm laughing at the visual of such a pinky ring. LOL Glad you found some Canadian pricing. Sometimes its hard for us north of the border to be able to compare apples to apples. I checked out Whiteflash & Brian Gavin's site & they both had a similar setting for much higher than you paid in Canadian. I hope the stone checks out & there are no issues with the ring (ie..porosity issues).

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm laughing at the visual of such a pinky ring. LOL Glad you found some Canadian pricing. Sometimes its hard for us north of the border to be able to compare apples to apples. I checked out Whiteflash & Brian Gavin's site & they both had a similar setting for much higher than you paid in Canadian. I hope the stone checks out & there are no issues with the ring (ie..porosity issues).

How do I check for porosity issues? I have two weeks to be able to do a return. AND I may have found a place with good reviews that can do re-sizing for $150. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results