shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum deco ladies'' watch

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I just bought this platinum diamond art deco watch for a steal--I got it at a Little Grey Kitten price.

I love it--it''s tiny and delicate, and it goes perfectly with my grandmother''s 1929 engagement ring and with the antique deco setting I have my .71 ct Infinity in.

platdecowatchgl7.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
As you can see, it has condition issues, as they say on Antiques Roadshow. The crystal has chips in two corners, and the face is all scratched up. Also, although it runs, it''s been gaining about 5 minutes an hour. (I''ve only had it running a couple hours so far.)

I''m not sure how much I should do to fix it. Have it cleaned, obviously, but what about replacing the crystal? The dial? I suspect that will cost more than the watch itself. My husband thinks I should leave it the way it is and wear it as a bracelet.

platdecowatchglgl8.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

As usual, very pretty!

cheers--Sharon

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
See how well it goes with Grandma''s ring?

Well, maybe you can''t see Grandma''s ring that well, but you can at least see how chipped my nail polish is.

And you can see how little and delicate the watch is. So little and delicate that it''s hard to tell the time, in fact!

platdecowatchgl6.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Sharon!

Here it is with the other deco ring:

platdecowatchgl4.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
The case is marked "La France" and the movement is "Libela."

Anyone care to guess a date? Jewelerman, Old Man Coyote? I''m thinking mid-1920s, does that sound right?

I would welcome advice about how much repair to have done. It''s hard to read the time now, not just because the face is so small but because it''s so faded and damaged. On the other hand, it''s not like I''m really going to be relying on this watch to know the time--I''ll probably just look at my cell phone, which is bound to be more accurate as well as more legible.

Would replacing the crystal hurt the value of the watch? What about replacing the dial, if that''s even possible?

I do love the funky old typeface of the numbers.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
This close-up of the face gives a good idea of how messed-up the dial is. The lower right corner is especially hard to make out.

Nice single-cut diamonds and delicate, accurate platinum work, though.

platdecowatchgl9.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s very pretty glitterata! Another great find.
36.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Michelle!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2009 8:19:58 PM
Author: glitterata
The case is marked ''La France'' and the movement is ''Libela.''

Anyone care to guess a date? Jewelerman, Old Man Coyote? I''m thinking mid-1920s, does that sound right?

I would welcome advice about how much repair to have done. It''s hard to read the time now, not just because the face is so small but because it''s so faded and damaged. On the other hand, it''s not like I''m really going to be relying on this watch to know the time--I''ll probably just look at my cell phone, which is bound to be more accurate as well as more legible.

Would replacing the crystal hurt the value of the watch? What about replacing the dial, if that''s even possible?

I do love the funky old typeface of the numbers.
Can you ever buy an ugly or uninteresting piece of jewelry?NO!The watch is super-duper and all around the cats meow!The watch is mid-late 1920s.the dial,blued hands,case shape, metal used and deco style are the indicators here.I would get estimates on cleaning.The crystal will be hard to find and expensive.I personally would keep it original if it dosnt affect the wearability of the watch(dust and moisture getting into the movement)The dial could be re-done.It is expesive and hard to find someone who will do a good job.Any time you referb or repaint a dial or replace original parts(crystals are in many situations the exception)it affects the value on resale or to a collector.A low quality re-worked dial is a very bad thing,so I would leave it original(remember im a purist)I would post the watch at www.watchuseek.com in the vintage watch section and ask the many knowledgable posters that are watch repair people about the movement history and they could tell you alot about its history.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Jewelerman, I was hoping you would comment! After reading your thoughts, I'm leaning toward just getting the watched cleaned and leaving the crystal and the dial.

I wonder why there isn't more of a market for these adorable little platinum watches? They go very nicely with the pave platinum vintage-style rings that have been popular for the past decade, but there doesn't seem to have been a deco platinum ladies' watch revival, and the originals can be found for quite low prices like mine. Maybe because fixing it up could be costly? Still, I got it for more or less the scrap value of the platinum and it's a very well made piece of antique jewelry, if nothing else.

I forgot to ask about the watch band. It's a black cord band with white-gold plated steel fittings, nothing fancy. It's in great shape and has a nice secure clasp, but it's a little too big for me. Can I have it shortened? Replaced? Is it likely to be original? Should I just leave it alone and put up with the watch slipping around?

I went a little crazy lately with the jewelry buying, so I'll be posting some more items soon. A Victorian jet snake bracelet, a moonstone ring...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful watch!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Tacori!

I dropped her off at the watch repair shop this afternoon. She''ll be getting a new crystal and a cleaning/tune up, but I''m leaving the dial alone, partly because restoring the dial would cost as much as the watch itself.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
What a lovely watch!!! Congrats on an awesome purchase!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I love it!! And platinum, too!!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2009 11:40:47 AM
Author: glitterata
Thanks, Jewelerman, I was hoping you would comment! After reading your thoughts, I''m leaning toward just getting the watched cleaned and leaving the crystal and the dial.

I wonder why there isn''t more of a market for these adorable little platinum watches? They go very nicely with the pave platinum vintage-style rings that have been popular for the past decade, but there doesn''t seem to have been a deco platinum ladies'' watch revival, and the originals can be found for quite low prices like mine. Maybe because fixing it up could be costly? Still, I got it for more or less the scrap value of the platinum and it''s a very well made piece of antique jewelry, if nothing else.

I forgot to ask about the watch band. It''s a black cord band with white-gold plated steel fittings, nothing fancy. It''s in great shape and has a nice secure clasp, but it''s a little too big for me. Can I have it shortened? Replaced? Is it likely to be original? Should I just leave it alone and put up with the watch slipping around?

I went a little crazy lately with the jewelry buying, so I''ll be posting some more items soon. A Victorian jet snake bracelet, a moonstone ring...
you knew i would be here the mniute i saw the new thread!Cant wait to see the other baubles!I see that you went with cleaning and crystal...make sure that the crystal is domed like the old one and not flat,so it looks period.The cord is completely replaceable and the current one is probably a replacement as well.It may be able to be cut down.Ask the watch repair when you go in or call them to check the clasp ends and see if they are the type that open up,you cut to size and then clamp the raw ends down in the clasp.Make sure the prongs are tight before wearing also!
You are so smart to be buying up these little treasures while you are young and can enjoy them for a lifetime.I did the same thing and never regreted it for one minute.i would start considering Insurance for your growing collection If you dont have it already.Also a jewelers storage/travelers case may be a good idea because you are gathering so many new pieces.Mine has multi trays that slide out and carry/store chains,bracelets,rings and a bottom tray for large items and documents(appraisals,receipts,insurance info. and a written history of the antique pieces)post more pieces soon!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the kind words, jewelry friends!

Jewelerman, it''s so sweet of you to call me "young." If I''m young, so are you! I think we''re around the same age, judging by your description of your prom outfit.

Thanks for the tip about the domed crystal. The repairwoman said she would have to have a new crystal cut. I''ll talk to her about making sure it''s domed.

The problem with a jeweler''s traveling case is that it''s so...portable. Can''t you just imagine the burglar going, "How sweet she was to pack all this stuff up for me! And she even included all those appraisals so I would know just how much to expect when I fence it!" I think what I really need is a bigger safe deposit box at the bank. My current one is bursting at the seams...

As for insurance and appraisals, I''m not sure what to do about those. Most of my jewelry I buy at flea markets, on ebay, etc., and I generally pay way less than retail for it. If I had to replace it at retail, it would cost me twice or five or ten times as much as I spent in the first place, or else I would have to wait and search for years to find something similar again at a bargain. If I insured it for its replacement value, the insurance would be expensive, and I would rather spend the money on new treasures. But insuring for my purchase price wouldn''t really help me replace the stuff. My solution at the moment is to skip insurance and keep what I''m not currently wearing in the safe deposit box.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results