shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum connesuirs pls help~plat/iridium 900/100 vs 950/50?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

clipper37

Rough_Rock
I have been checking everywhere on this, basically the setting i desire can be done for $775 in 950/50 plat/iridium; or for $125 more I can get it somewhere else made with 900/100 plat/iridium.

I found vicker's hardness diff of 80(on the 950/50) vs 110(on the 900/100)...would this actually be something you could tell over time with use though, that extra strength...is it worth the dough?

any suggestions welcome, pls leave some as i don't have any experience to draw from, and any old threads usually revolve around the debate of gold vs plat, not regarding the actual alloys of plat....thank you.

ps-i would like to resist the patina, and don't want gold~since i'm only using a 2mm shank i want the extra weight of plat.

clipper37

Rough_Rock
much obliged madame, i needed someone to just kick start me...the whole process had made me overly-indecisive...so for a nominal extra fee i can get a better wear for the life of the ring i suppose
28.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2007 9:47:06 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I would 100% go with 900/100 if I had the choice. Mark Morrell explains why he uses it on his site. There are other custom ring makers who use it as well (Michael B, I believe is one).

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/platinum_purity.htm

My new ring is also made from this alloy, and Ocean (my designer) had only praise for it.

Quash

Rough_Rock
Don''t forget 95 Plat and 5% Ruthenium options, which has a Vickers hardness of 135. I have just purchased a 900/100 from Mark Morrell, though. I understand a lot of the higher-end bench jewelers and platinumsmiths still work in the classic 900/100 mix. I avoided the 95Plat/5 Iridium mixes because it was so much softer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results