shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum Basket soldered with White Gold ????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
I recently changed the basket on my platinum setting to a V head. Now, the seems where the basket was soldered to the mounting are turning yellowish. The jeweler said that he had to use low content platinum solder b/c otherwise all the side stone would fall out. It is a channel set baguette mounting.Do you think they used white gold instead of platinum???Aside from the fact that it now looks cheap, has the durability of the setting been compromised? The stone is a 1.8 round.Thank you for your reply.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The answer you really want is for some expert to tell you that you are right about this. Unfortunately, you are upset, but the changing of the setting necessitated using a lower content solder to prevent burning the diamonds. We think rhodium will hide the tarnishing zone. Why not give it a try? If it fails to do the job, have the jeweler make an entire new ring and reset all the diamonds. Pay for the cost of this and sell the old ring for scrap. It might be affordable and will be the only way to get what you want if the rhodium fails to satisfy you. The jeweler has done the standard alteration that others are willing to accept. You may be a bit more observant or particular.YOU are the one who has to be content in all of this. In the end, one of these two options will be the right one.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

bacon

Rough_Rock
White gold actually has a slight yellowish cast. Gary was probally thinking of platinum.
Your diamonds will remain in the setting. The whole ring will be plated the have an even color overall. Plating is harmless.Your jeweler should have explained the stiuation about changing platinum parts with stones set in place. It should have been well plated when delivered to you.Do you put your hands or ring into any chemicals? cleansers? beauty shop chemicals are very hazardous to objects and humans. (I don't know why you girls put up with such dangers. I know the beauty shop girls will not admit the true danger).keep your ring clean.

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
It was supposed to be a totally platinum setting.Where can I take it to get another opinion?What should I expect my jeweler to do???Will the basket eventually fall off??? I heard that platinum errodes other metals that it is worn next to.Thanks.

bacon

Rough_Rock
Platinum takes very high tempertures to weld (not really soldered) This high temp would burn the diamonds set in your ring. So in order the change the head and not remove your side diamonds gold solder must be used in the assembly to protect the diamonds from destruction.Ideally 18Kt white gold solder would be used. This should not be noticable for some time. However it is proper procedure to rodium plate the ring after polishing. This keeps the gold from froming the visible patina for up to years.If he used a low tempture platinum solder then the tarnish is the high silver content (up to 80%) of low temp platinum solders.
again the rodium plate would protect the silver and retard the silver tarnish you are seeing.I perfer the high karat white gold solder because has gold has far superior tarnish resistance over silver.

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the great information.Well, I just got the ring on 7/29/01 and it is already starting to tarnish.What should I ask the jeweler to do???? The setting was $1600 and now I feel like it looks cheap.Should I ask him to rhodium it????Thanks Again.

bacon

Rough_Rock
You said yellowish, so I think he used gold solder. He may have grabbed some yellow instead of white. OOPS (we hope not) That can be fixed.Having your ring rodiumed when you see color is the most practical thing to do.
Sometimes common houshold chemicals can work on metals we think are imperious. (I learn something everyday)
So don't let liquids dry by them sevles on your ring. Use your hair dryer or a dip in alcohol will help.

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the great input.You are right, I am both observant and meticulous. Someone else probably would not notice or care as much.No, I do not work w/any beauty chemicals...I am a teacher. But, I do clean the ring with jewelery cleaner. Is this a bad thing?

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
Do they rhodium the entire setting or just the part that has turned yellowish??Will the rhodium ruin the rest of the platinum on the setting?Shouldn't the jeweler replace the setting if I'm not happy????Thanks for your responses, you are very knowledgable.

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
Do they need to take the stone out to rhodium the setting???? The yellowish solder is at the seems on each side of the V head where it connects to the setting. The setting is channel-set baguettes.It really stinks that I have to go to all this trouble for a setting that I have since 7/29/01.Thanks.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The rhodium is a plating that does no damage, but is very shiny mirror white, a bit like chrome bumper bars on a car (remember them). It does no damage. Your ring will not fall apart.
If the part that concerns you is in a concealed spot that does not rub on things, the rhodium will stay there for years.
Many people have there white gold rings plated every year, because white gold is actually quite gray.

bacon

Rough_Rock
Make sure you rinse of all the cleaner. Dry the ring. That water that can stick in low areas can hold dirt or oil. Do you put lotion on your hands before putting your ring on? Lotion can hold dirt.

bacon

Rough_Rock
Again, it is quite difficult to inspect, test the alloy, weigh the mounting thru the monitor.What has the jeweler told you.

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
IF I DO DECIDE TO CHANGE THE SETTING...WHAT AMOUNT SHOULD I EXPECT TO GET FOR THE PLATINUM SCRAP?WHAT AMOUNT COULD I GET FOR A WHITE GOLD SETTING?THANKS.

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
IF I DO DECIDE TO CHANGE THE SETTING...WHAT AMOUNT SHOULD I EXPECT TO GET FOR THE PLATINUM SCRAP?WHAT AMOUNT COULD I GET FOR A WHITE GOLD SETTING?THANKS.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
A jeweler has told me that one can't re-use platinum or that it takes more work to re-use the scrap. White gold he' more willing to re-use, so white gold or yellow is more versatile for re-use or resell as scrap than platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results