shape
carat
color
clarity

plat and white gold ok to mix?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamond rookie

Rough_Rock
Hey folks-
been a while and I am now happily engaged (yay!) so y''all guided me through the pitfalls of diamond buying, now I need some band assitance. I purchased a beuatiful Jeff Cooper platinum ring. Is it okay to have the wedding band that will go with the platinum ring be white gold? The wedding band has several small diamonds and looks beautiful next to the ring but I want to make sure that "mixing my metals" is okay and won''t effect either ring.
Thanks!
Alex

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/8/2009 4:56:05 PM
Author:diamond rookie
It''s been a while and I am now happily engaged (yay!) so y''all guided me through the pitfalls of diamond buying, now I need some band assitance. I purchased a beuatiful Jeff Cooper platinum ring. Is it okay to have the wedding band that will go with the platinum ring be white gold? The wedding band has several small diamonds and looks beautiful next to the ring but I want to make sure that ''mixing my metals'' is okay and won''t effect either ring.

Platinum and White Gold with patina differently... Platinum tends to look more dull and slightly gray as it ages while white gold scratches a little easier (this would be something that would drive Valerie nuts). Also if the rings are not soldered together, they can rub back and forth against each other and it is likely that the platinum ring will cut into the 18k gold ring.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
There have been other threads about this topic. Todd covered the generall issues really well. That said, lots of people wear the two metals together and never have any issues at all. I think for something as important as a wedding set I would play it safe and match the metals.

diamond rookie

Rough_Rock
thanks folks. found lots under mixing metals
Thanks,
Alex

diamond rookie

Rough_Rock
ok so is this largely a cosmetic thing? The reason I ask is the 18K white gold band is curved and has several small diamonds on the top. The Platinum Jeff Cooper ring has 3 stones the main stone just over a ct and 2 side baguettes totaling about .37 cts. Will the Platinum actually break down the white gold? How do I post a picture again? I may make my Fiancee try them both on and put her lovely finger up here so this will all make sense to everyone.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It all makes sense, don''t worry! Platinum is a denser metal than white gold, so when a denser metal rubs against a softer metal, the softer metal will get worn away over time... but it may take years for this to happen! It is a persoanl preference I think, whether you mind if your rings are different colors and whether they scratch one another.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results