shape
carat
color
clarity

plastic mold thoughts - will my stone look smaller in the new setting?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Hi All,

I am resetting the stone from my three stone e-ring into an octagonal setting and have been working with DK. I got the little plastic mold in the mail yesterday. Was hoping to know your thoughts. When I saw it compared to my original ring, I was like "wow is my diamond really going to fit in that setting?" bc to me it looks smaller. But I did the measurement and yes the setting is over 8mm and my cs is 6.8 at the longest point. I was inspired by the VC ring (pictured below) but also like the idea of having little bezeled stones instead of the roundels on the VC (see inspo pics). Anyway I think my three stone is also set up higher so maybe that's also why it looks bigger to my eyes. Do you think my diamond will look smaller in this setting or is it just the weirdness of seeing a plastic ring as opposed to real metal and stones? Thoughts and suggestions appreciated. If you think it will look smaller any ideas on what to change? I'm posting a pic of the inspos, his drawings, as well as pics of the mold. I never did get those computer looking cads that I see others have posted; is that later or not at all? I wondered about that...

Inspo pic: setting similar to this but not in star position, and instead of those notch thingys, bezeled stones like in this pic:

oct3.png IMG_9056.jpg

I didn't want tapered baguettes so opted just for plain plat band then the bezeled stones; here are the drawings:

IMG_0274.jpg IMG_0275.jpg

I decided that the band looked a little too plain so we are adding some stones in the band (like you see in the first inspo) in addition to the bezels. I don't have a drawing of that. But it's shown in the plastic mold.

Then my ring and the mold:

IMG_0276.jpg IMG_0277.jpg IMG_0278.jpg IMG_0279.jpg

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
My eye actually first thought it looks bigger, which is a bonus for this gorgeous design. I love your ideas to combine these two.

I designed my ring with a rounded cushion shape to protect my "very thin" area on my girdle. People often think it is bigger than it is because of that I believe, which was unintended but nice for me!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I think it's just the weirdness of a plastic model and losing the visual extension of a three stone along with demarcation of the visual edge of your center. Your eye is just trying to make sense of the change. I always think that faux bezeling makes stones look bigger.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
My eye actually first thought it looks bigger, which is a bonus for this gorgeous design. I love your ideas to combine these two.

I designed my ring with a rounded cushion shape to protect my "very thin" area on my girdle. People often think it is bigger than it is because of that I believe, which was unintended but nice for me!

My my I just had a look at your ring! Not that you needed help making it look larger but it's always an added bonus! Wow!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think it's just the weirdness of a plastic model and losing the visual extension of a three stone along with demarcation of the visual edge of your center. Your eye is just trying to make sense of the change. I always think that faux bezeling makes stones look bigger.

Ditto this. Also because the plastic almost seems to absorb the light - they play tricks with our eyes.

I felt the same way then I got my first plastic mold - it looked - small. I was even disappointed. I am glad I stuck with it - the reflectiveness of the metal changed the game once it was finished.

If you are curious - you could even get a metallic silver nail polish and paint it! It will still look wonky...but might help

mjea

Shiny_Rock
I think it will look bigger when it's in the octagon! What will you do with your current 3-stone side stones?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Ditto this. Also because the plastic almost seems to absorb the light - they play tricks with our eyes.

I felt the same way then I got my first plastic mold - it looked - small. I was even disappointed. I am glad I stuck with it - the reflectiveness of the metal changed the game once it was finished.

If you are curious - you could even get a metallic silver nail polish and paint it! It will still look wonky...but might help

Ha what an interesting idea!!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I think it will look bigger when it's in the octagon! What will you do with your current 3-stone side stones?

I was searching for a colored stone to put in the setting :) Thank you everyone you are making me feel better about this.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
One thing (though has nothing to do with the size of the CS) is that the bezeled diamonds are only 5pts each and was thinking of beefing those up. But not sure. Bc in the inspo they are way bigger but of course the inspo stone is a honker.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it looks bigger too, I like the setting! Someone on here has a lovely octagon bezel setting I’m sure.
I am confused by those drawings though, they look like cads but not the like the ones I’ve had from DK.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
My OEC is not as large as your stone, but in the setting in my avatar, I think is looks larger than if it was in a solitaire setting.
I think your stone will look larger in the new setting. :)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks bigger too, I like the setting! Someone on here has a lovely octagon bezel setting I’m sure.
I am confused by those drawings though, they look like cads but not the like the ones I’ve had from DK.

I've seen many octagon bezels here but usually with honkers lol. I started a "show me your smaller octagons" a while back. And yes I thought it was weird that I got drawings, then mold, but no computery looking cads like I've seen others posted. I have no idea.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
My OEC is not as large as your stone, but in the setting in my avatar, I think is looks larger than if it was in a solitaire setting.
I think your stone will look larger in the new setting. :)

Yes your avatar ring does look big! Idk if you're going off mm size though your stone might be bigger? ctw of mine is 1.16

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
I am so interested in your project!! I have been considering something similar (if I don't upgrade) so I cannot wait to see how it turns out. I would plan to work with DK as well.

I'll have to look for your other thread. I always see octagons on huge OEC's as well so I've been wondering how it might look on my much smaller (1.29) MRB.

I can see what you mean, @Mreader. My eyes sort of made a circle by connecting the "dots" of the beading (?) of the octagon setting. So at first, the diamond in the mold looked smaller. But once my brain made sense of everything, it does look like the two stones are the same shape. And then with the octagon setting, it's definitely going to be noticeably larger than your current setting! :)

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I am so interested in your project!! I have been considering something similar (if I don't upgrade) so I cannot wait to see how it turns out. I would plan to work with DK as well.

I'll have to look for your other thread. I always see octagons on huge OEC's as well so I've been wondering how it might look on my much smaller (1.29) MRB.

Here is the thread and I'll be sure to update you:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I am officially mollified by the responses. The next question is: should I beef up the diamond in the bezels? They are five points. I’m showing another picture this from distance away to maybe get an idea of the size.

Attachments

• 87C2D50A-5C1F-456C-8413-08DA0DD281DC.jpeg
    87C2D50A-5C1F-456C-8413-08DA0DD281DC.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 21

mjea

Shiny_Rock
From the picture, it looks like the melee sizes are all the same, but the bottom-most being in a bezel is the only difference? If that's the case and the inspo look you're going for is to have a little more contrast and movement in the shank, I'd up the size of those two stones :) (by movement in the shank I mean having the stones be at a size that would require the bezel edge to jut out of the shank to create a half-moon type curve out because right now the shank looks like it remains uniform in width throughout)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
From the picture, it looks like the melee sizes are all the same, but the bottom-most being in a bezel is the only difference? If that's the case and the inspo look you're going for is to have a little more contrast and movement in the shank, I'd up the size of those two stones :) (by movement in the shank I mean having the stones be at a size that would require the bezel edge to jut out of the shank to create a half-moon type curve out because right now the shank looks like it remains uniform in width throughout)

I think the melee is smaller but I didn't ask the size just the size of the bezeled stones. I used my calipers (man that thing is handy) and when I grip the band it's about 2.3 but if I grip the bezel it's about 2.6. He said the bezeled stones are about 2.3 each. But I think I want to up them even though there's already a contrast. They already hit my fingers a little though so don't know if that might be an issue. If it is then maybe go back to plain band? Poor DK, I've already put this man through alot. I want to reset! Wait, no I don't. Wait yes I do! I want a plain band with diamond only in bezels. Wait, never mind, put diamonds back in the band. Ummm, maybe take them out? Hopefully I don't alienate the guy.

mjea

Shiny_Rock
I think the melee is smaller but I didn't ask the size just the size of the bezeled stones. I used my calipers (man that thing is handy) and when I grip the band it's about 2.3 but if I grip the bezel it's about 2.6. He said the bezeled stones are about 2.3 each. But I think I want to up them even there's already a contrast. They already hit my fingers a little though so don't know if that might be an issue.

Maybe... you could up the size of the bezel stones a little bit, and then remove one of the smaller melee so there's only 3 stones per side? That would move the bezel stone up the shank a little if you think the placement/hitting your other fingers will be an issue?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Maybe... you could up the size of the bezel stones a little bit, and then remove one of the smaller melee so there's only 3 stones per side? That would move the bezel stone up the shank a little if you think the placement/hitting your other fingers will be an issue?

We were typing at the same time lol so I was in the process of editing my prior post a bit. I thought of that too - like I said also thinking of going back to the plain band. Because idk if it would look weird to have two pave stones only.

mjea

Shiny_Rock
We were typing at the same time lol so I was in the process of editing my prior post a bit. I thought of that too - like I said also thinking of going back to the plain band. Because idk if it would look weird to have two pave stones only.

FWIW I don’t think it will look weird to only have two pave into the bezel stone. I think it’ll be a nice guide for the eye and you get the best of all worlds if the bezels are a little bigger and hitting at just the right drop so your fingers are comfy. Or... back to a plain band if that’s your vision!

I feel like the bezel stones are set too far away down the shanks? I'd wanna see everything from up top. Right now they look like they're wrapping around the sides a bit, almost going into the space between your fingers?

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Posting my mould pics of the mould and the actual product. They are similar but the mould is bulkier. Hope it helps!
C278E2EA-1B64-468F-977A-B47F37D5F833.jpeg

Attachments

• 849652E8-2F40-461E-8C9B-79D6D0D69772.jpeg
    849652E8-2F40-461E-8C9B-79D6D0D69772.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 97DF9522-40F9-48D9-AD96-E86A33790F19.jpeg
    97DF9522-40F9-48D9-AD96-E86A33790F19.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 65
  • 5EE386E8-1F27-4AFD-9694-46F20E882672.jpeg
    5EE386E8-1F27-4AFD-9694-46F20E882672.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 1EC7AEF5-F317-42B0-8E1A-5F12BD8146E5.jpeg
    1EC7AEF5-F317-42B0-8E1A-5F12BD8146E5.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 58

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I feel like the bezel stones are set too far away down the shanks? I'd wanna see everything from up top. Right now they look like they're wrapping around the sides a bit, almost going into the space between your fingers?

Yes that’s exactly what I was saying they are digging in so I definitely want to bring them up which is why I’m wrestling with just having two small stones or no stones in addition.

Yes that’s exactly what I was saying they are digging in so I definitely want to bring them up which is why I’m wrestling with just having two small stones or no stones in addition.

Ah I see. Then my vote would be for removing 1 of the stones on side.

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Wow it looks really different! Almost as if the center in the mold is squared.

Yes. There is zero definition in the mould. Your mould actually looks better/cleaner than my mould.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
Yes your avatar ring does look big! Idk if you're going off mm size though your stone might be bigger? ctw of mine is 1.16

Sorry, yes mine is a bit larger. I read your post and saw 8mm.... LOL but I still think that setting will make your stone appear larger.:)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Just got the glamour shots guys and I’m pretty excited. :D Also DK sent a video of the Tanzy set in my existing setting and it’s sooo pretty so attaching a screenshot of that too.

720B7F11-D862-45EE-9E33-8FB232E5A3F8.jpeg

11160A53-A4BF-4D84-A0E7-C2DBF2C51C1D.jpeg

A40E06FF-1488-4C6A-A64A-DED6D8A95310.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results