shape
carat
color
clarity

Plantar Faciitis - OUCH!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any other sufferers of this painful condition out there? I've had this before unfortunately. It's a byproduct of walking 4 miles a day and having high arches. I've tried foot and calve stretches, icing, roller ball on my arch and Ibuprofen. I ordered some compression socks that may help when I'm sleeping and walking. This has been a stubborn case however, and I've been gimping around in the most pitiful manner! Please share your experiences or any recommendations you may have. :wavey:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Planter Faciitis - OUCH!

I have this on top of a bunch of types of arthritis. I saw my rheumatologist today actually. He said I could try $200 orthotics, or just get Dr. Scholls, because they may or may not work. He also said he could do cortisone injections if I needed. My second toe (next to big toe) on right foot gets extremely painful sometimes. I'm on remicade infusions, but that doesn't help the PF. I've tried every type of shoe out there and ultimately nothing helps, it's just a matter of which shoe is least painful to wear. When it's at its worst, I am hobbling or not able to walk at all, or using a cane. Mostly, bare feet is the only option that works most of the time. I also have high arches.

Wish I could be more hopeful! Maybe something will help. I'm always willing to try anything.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I so (literally) feel your pain, as I was *just* seen by a podiatrist last week for this, and he gave me a good stretch to use that he said will help, and it has alleviated some of my pain already. Not sure if you tried this one or not, but it involves standing on a step. I'd be happy to send you the video he texted to me. Do you have a DB or LT link you can provide, and I can connect with you to send it via email?

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
I developed plantar fasciitis while training for a marathon so I know the pain. Do you need to walk 4 miles a day? Stopping or reducing the activity to allow the inflammation subside and heal usually helps. Then gradually build up again.

Keep stretching your calves and arches and add your hamstrings and hips; actually stretch your whole body. They're all connected and you want to make sure there is no tightness anywhere. I had someone pulling, pushing, twisting, and mashing my muscles to get rid of knots during my recovery.

You may want to consider taking NSAIDs or naproxen prophylactically -- you know what activity triggers it, so take a pill before.

If you don't have enough arch supports in your shoes, get them. Custom orthotics are best, but you can try over-the-counter -- you might get lucky. Have you looked into getting different shoes? Even with athletic shoes, I've found some brands and models work better for me (i.e. you'd have to peel my Asics from my cold dead hands whereas I wouldn't come near Adidas with a 10-foot pole).

So here is what a lot of people overlook: make sure your bedsheet is not tucked in when you sleep because it forces your feet to point (plantarflexion) and all the stretching you did during the day is completely negated. I sometimes use a brace to keep my feet flexed at night. It also helps with my ankle issue. Here are a few: https://www.braceability.com/braceability-plantar-fascitis-night-splint

If nothing works and the pain is really really horrible, you might have to get a cortisone injection.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, that's super duper painful. Looks like you've already tried a bunch of things that should have been helpful. You can also try freezing a bottle of water and roll your foot over it.

Vionic shoes have made a world of difference for DH and me. http://www.vionicshoes.com/?gclid=CLf0vMib1NICFReBswod1NIHug Some styles are also available at DSW and other discount places.

Not sure what kind of floors you have, but DH"s podiatrist cousin says tile and marble are bad for feet and plantar faciitis, with wood being somewhat better and carpet being best. In addition to outdoor Vionic shoes have Vionic slippers for around the house.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll add to the good advice already given - deep massage to a specific muscle in your CALF. People tend to focus on the foot, but there's a spot in your calf that is a huge source of PF. My husband started developing PF and my massaging this spot and hitting the tight area is the thing that makes the most difference. This is confirmed by his physical therapist and my sister who is a massage therapist (and one who studies conditions and actually uses massage to treat and heal).

He also does the stretches, rolls balls and ice under his arch, using a baking pin to roll his calf, and occasionally wears a boot to bed to hold his foot in the position that is best.

Good luck, from what I can tell, it's the absolute pits!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I suffer from this. It comes and goes and right now its here. I had a podiatrist years ago tell me never go barefoot, its awful for it. I have tiles and hardwood in my house and barefoot hurts. He also suggested buying a pair of birkenstocks and using them instead of slippers in my house. I put them by my bed too and find that if I put them on before that first painful morning step, it takes some of the sting out of first thing walking.

I wish I could help more. I have temporarily had to give up my treadmill and outside walking for my exercise bike. So boring but the only exercise I can get now that dosn't hurt.

Good luck and I will be following this thread.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, me too. It was really bad 7 years ago, and I was taped up and had one of those shoe things for awhile. I then got one shot of cortisone which eased the distress considerably, along with the orthotics. Also exercises and keeping bed untucked will indeed help. But do consider the professionally made orthotics. Mine allow me to walk for pleasure once again. And that's worth a few hundred dollars to me, even though insurance doesn't seem to cover it.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I used to get it regularly starting in my late 20s. I have really high arches. Getting out of bed in the morning and putting weight down, ouch! The only thing that made a substantial difference were custom orthotics and making sure my exercise shoes weren't getting worn down (ie: the cushioning was still in good condition).

Once the plantar faciitis started, it was really difficult to keep it at bay unless I scaled back on activity and wore 'old lady' shoes with lots of support. Prevention, as they say, is the best cure.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Great info and recommendations! Thank you all :wavey: It appears I'm in very good company. :errrr:
No, I don't need to walk 4 miles a day :lol: I love it and I love to be outside :D We are having a snow day today so I'm taking the day off. I've been doing extra stretching and icing. Also, we never wear shoes in the house but today I'm wearing very comfy Clark sandals with good arch support. We have hardwood and marble floors so they're hard on one's arches. Spending a lot of time just in socks or barefoot has been my undoing I think. I have experienced some relief today :appl: I'll have to look into Chacos sandals and those inserts look promising too. As for wearing that boot contraption...yikes! I'm hoping the compression socks I've ordered for this will help at night. I've always worn either New Balance or Ryka running shoes. It's really hard to find running/walking shoes with arch support. I saw a Podiatrist several years ago for this and he recommended New Balance, however I don't think they are as good as they used to be. Thanks again friends! :wavey:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The CB is a PF sufferer too. He's had custom orthotics in the past but lately he's been using Sof Soles. They come in three versions, low, neutral and high arch. When he went back to the podiatrist the last time the pod actually said that he felt Sof Soles were as good as custom *for most people* and he recommends them as a starting point (a) to see if people can avoid going the expensive custom route and (b) because they are pretty immediately available (Dicks and some other stores carry them so you can literally want out with them on the spot and not have to wait the time it takes to get custom made; worst case you can order the on-line and have them in a few days).

https://www.sofsole.com/category/insoles/Fit_Series

Sof Soles does make a PF version but the podiatrist said the "Fit" is actually better, and that's what the CB has used these past few years.

I also now have the Sof Soles (neutral) in all my shoes and boots, except for heels, which I rarely wear and even then only for short periods. Around the house I wear Vionics slippers. They have made a WORLD of difference for me! And I have NEVER been a flip flop fan but in the summer I'm not a loyal Vionics flip flop wearer. Aside from PF (which I only had one bout with a few years ago and plan on avoiding again At All Costs) these help me keep my knee aligned, which also then helps with my hip and back. Not the same thing as PF, but speaks to the point that everything is indeed connected!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just ordered a pair of Vionic slippers! And I'm also going to try Sofsole inserts. This has been SO helpfull, thanks so much!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Bonfire|1489429159|4139752 said:
Any other sufferers of this painful condition out there? I've had this before unfortunately. It's a byproduct of walking 4 miles a day and having high arches. I've tried foot and calve stretches, icing, roller ball on my arch and Ibuprofen. I ordered some compression socks that may help when I'm sleeping and walking. This has been a stubborn case however, and I've been gimping around in the most pitiful manner! Please share your experiences or any recommendations you may have. :wavey:

This is me since last year. Tried massage, roller balls, taping etc etc...I injured it on a stair stepper and nothing has really healed it completely. It's fine once I get going for a few minutes and get the feet warmed up and moving, but right when I get up sucks beans or if I've been sitting awhile.

Doctor's advice is to:

- don't go barefoot
-wear shoes that have at least a little heel
-wear shoes with support
-stretch your feet before getting up after sitting or laying down for long periods.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bonfire|1489440646|4139821 said:
I just ordered a pair of Vionic slippers! And I'm also going to try Sofsole inserts. This has been SO helpfull, thanks so much!

Bonfire, did you order the slippers that are open or closed toe? I have the open toe ones, which I wear all year (just with socks in the winter -- it's quite a *look*! :cheeky: ) but after two years they are getting a little worn so I was thinking of getting a new pair and going for the closed toe version. Just wondering if they were warm (i.e., too warm for summer without socks).

Also, have you ever worn orthotics before? If not, don't put them in and try wearing them for a whole day all at once in the beginning. You kind of build up to a full day of wearing, otherwise you may end up in big discomfort. I think the instructions say try an hour the first day, two hours the second day, etc. The first time I wore them I literally had to stop a block from my house and take them out of my tennis shoes! Now, I won't go anywhere without them.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband wears Sofsole Plantar Fasciitis insoles in all his shoes, and now I do as well.

I've had PF on and off for years. The thing that helped me most was wearing Dansko XP clogs, which have memory foam insoles, but they have been redesigned and the newer ones don't feel as comfortable as the previous ones from a couple of years ago. Still, you may want to try them on in a store.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1489442514|4139827 said:
Bonfire|1489440646|4139821 said:

Bonfire, did you order the slippers that are open or closed toe? I have the open toe ones, which I wear all year (just with socks in the winter -- it's quite a *look*! :cheeky: ) but after two years they are getting a little worn so I was thinking of getting a new pair and going for the closed toe version. Just wondering if they were warm (i.e., too warm for summer without socks).

Also, have you ever worn orthotics before? If not, don't put them in and try wearing them for a whole day all at once in the beginning. You kind of build up to a full day of wearing, otherwise you may end up in big discomfort. I think the instructions say try an hour the first day, two hours the second day, etc. The first time I wore them I literally had to stop a block from my house and take them out of my tennis shoes! Now, I won't go anywhere without them.

Thanks for the excellent advise Dee. Inordered the black open toe version. I'm not going for fashion here! :lol: I'm thinkin' they will be rather hot and sweaty come spring and summer. I figure I'll switch over to their flip flops.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pearlsngems|1489445611|4139846 said:
My husband wears Sofsole Plantar Fasciitis insoles in all his shoes, and now I do as well.

I've had PF on and off for years. The thing that helped me most was wearing Dansko XP clogs, which have memory foam insoles, but they have been redesigned and the newer ones don't feel as comfortable as the previous ones from a couple of years ago. Still, you may want to try them on in a store.

Thanks for the suggestion pearlsngems! I'll check them out. I wear Sketchers with memory foam for my kicking around shoes. I'm thinkin' inserts are next on my agenda.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bunnycat|1489441901|4139826 said:
Bonfire|1489429159|4139752 said:

This is me since last year. Tried massage, roller balls, taping etc etc...I injured it on a stair stepper and nothing has really healed it completely. It's fine once I get going for a few minutes and get the feet warmed up and moving, but right when I get up sucks beans or if I've been sitting awhile.

Doctor's advice is to:

- don't go barefoot
-wear shoes that have at least a little heel
-wear shoes with support
-stretch your feet before getting up after sitting or laying down for long periods.

Thanks for this good advice bunnycat. Getting out of bed in the morning is the worst! :knockout: I hope you find relief soon too!

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Ultrasound in physical therapy helped me heal a lot quicker.. along with the icing, stretching etc. also used Kinesio Tape ..superfeet inserts. I walk 4-5 miles a day. The first time I had plantar faciitis..it took a loooong time to heal.. the second time, years later.. not so long... It is certainly a drag :(

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I worked at a specialty shoe store in college, and I learned more about foot maladies than I ever thought possible. I'm sure you already know this, but PF is when the tendon that connects the ball of your foot to your heel stretches out, so stretching helps alleviate some of the symptoms, but doesn't actually address the root cause. That tendon must be supported with hard support in order to heal - so "soft" inserts aren't very effective. The brands we carried that customers reported were the most effective were Spencos and Superfeet. They are very stiff inserts and you have to break your feet into them by wearing them for short increments and building up. There are also night braces that hold your foot in the proper position. Generally people with high arches tend to supinate (roll outward), so it's important to to buy footwear that has equal support around the base (a U shaped heel cup or similar). Most shoes are geared toward people with flat feet who pronate (roll inward) which may be exacerbating your problem.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the helpful information Liaerfbv. All the athletic shoes that I try have zero arch support, hence my problem.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
liaerfbv|1489458586|4139961 said:
I worked at a specialty shoe store in college, and I learned more about foot maladies than I ever thought possible. I'm sure you already know this, but PF is when the tendon that connects the ball of your foot to your heel stretches out, so stretching helps alleviate some of the symptoms, but doesn't actually address the root cause. That tendon must be supported with hard support in order to heal - so "soft" inserts aren't very effective. The brands we carried that customers reported were the most effective were Spencos and Superfeet. They are very stiff inserts and you have to break your feet into them by wearing them for short increments and building up. There are also night braces that hold your foot in the proper position. Generally people with high arches tend to supinate (roll outward), so it's important to to buy footwear that has equal support around the base (a U shaped heel cup or similar). Most shoes are geared toward people with flat feet who pronate (roll inward) which may be exacerbating your problem.

wow- great info.... Is this why Dansko's may be of help? Being rather stiff? (...runs to closet to dig out old Danskos....)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="bunnycat|...

wow- great info.... Is this why Dansko's may be of help? Being rather stiff? (...runs to closet to dig out old Danskos....)[/quote]

Yes, and the Sofsole inserts are also rigid in the arch, which is why they also work.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bonfire|1489460248|4139965 said:
Thanks for the helpful information Liaerfbv. All the athletic shoes that I try have zero arch support, hence my problem.

Generally, the best supportive athletic shoes are New Balance, Brooks, and Asics. I also have high arches and I prefer the New Balance 990 series because they come in widths and fun colors (I have had them in red, green, pink, and gray over the years), and they are made in the US. If you go to a specialty running shoe store they should be able to fit you with supportive kicks and will be familiar with PF. Also, if you plan to wear supportive inserts with sneakers, take out the cheapy insole that comes in the running shoe so your fit isn't affected. Expect to pay $130+ for a really good pair of sneakers - the $50 ones at mall stores are all padding and no support tech. Shoes should also be replaced at 1 year or 500 miles which when the support starts to break down.

My fave pair of supportive NB 990s:

http://www.newbalance.com/pd/new-balance-990v4/M990-V4.html?dwvar_M990-V4_color=Grey_with_Castlerock#color=Sunrise_with_Salmon

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1489504376|4140097 said:

Generally, the best supportive athletic shoes are New Balance, Brooks, and Asics. I also have high arches and I prefer the New Balance 990 series because they come in widths and fun colors (I have had them in red, green, pink, and gray over the years), and they are made in the US. If you go to a specialty running shoe store they should be able to fit you with supportive kicks and will be familiar with PF. Also, if you plan to wear supportive inserts with sneakers, take out the cheapy insole that comes in the running shoe so your fit isn't affected. Expect to pay $130+ for a really good pair of sneakers - the $50 ones at mall stores are all padding and no support tech. Shoes should also be replaced at 1 year or 500 miles which when the support starts to break down.

http://www.newbalance.com/pd/new-balance-990v4/M990-V4.html?dwvar_M990-V4_color=Grey_with_Castlerock#color=Sunrise_with_Salmon

I'm going shoe shopping today. I replace my shoes every 3-4 months, l put in a lot of miles! Do you wear men's shoes? Specifically the one you linked? I see they have it in women's too. I have a narrow foot and New Balance was all I wore, but then my favorite moldel would be replaced by a new cheaper made version. Looks like I'm headed to the New Balance store. Is there a specific Asics model you like? I've never tried them. Thanks!

P

PierreBear

Bonfire|1489508238|4140128 said:

I'm going shoe shopping today. I replace my shoes every 3-4 months, l put in a lot of miles! Do you wear men's shoes? Specifically the one you linked? I see they have it in women's too. I have a narrow foot and New Balance was all I wore, but then my favorite moldel would be replaced by a new cheaper made version. Looks like I'm headed to the New Balance store. Is there a specific Asics model you like? I've never tried them. Thanks!

I've never had pf but with some of my triathlon/marathon training, I've had to endure some injuries. Most shoes should be retired around 250 to 300 miles and I'm a nerd and track it in excel. 3 to 4 months sounds a bit early but I only use my shoes for work out and try to have 2 pairs on hand so you get different "wear and tear" on your foot/calf/etc when you can. I would recommend going to a running store where they carry multiple brands so they can watch you run and help fit you into the best brand/model of shoe. My husband and I are built differently so even though the New Balance brand works for me, it doesn't fit well for him. Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bonfire|1489508238|4140128 said:

I've worn both men's and women's in the 990s depending on the color/size availability. If you have narrow feet I would stick with the women's since they come in the 2A narrow. I don't have a specific Asics recommendation, sorry, because I'm pretty loyal to my NBs, but I have heard really good things about them. Good luck at New Balance!

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great timing on this post!!! I love my Danskos, but specifically only ONE type, which is (of course) discontinued. ;( ;( ;( I tried vionic flip flops but they hurt so much I had to return. Any guesses as to why the Danskos are awesome, but the vionics hurt like no other. Should I give the Vionics another try? My mom swears by them....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results