shape
carat
color
clarity

Places to see in Seattle ?

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hello,

Does anyone have any recomendations for cool places to see in Seattle? I'm taking a quick trip down next week.

So far on our list of places to see/things to do are: The underground tour, the EMP museum, Pike place market

Isn't there supposed to be a good antique mall or somewhere in Seattle?

Recomendations for cheap places to eat would be most appreciated (We're on a shoestring budget).

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
My husband and I are going to Seattle next weekend :bigsmile: We are planning on seeing the King Tut exhibit, Pike's Place, etc. I don't know if it fits it your budget, but you might want to consider seeing the exhibit http://www.pacificsciencecenter.org/King-Tut/king-tut-the-exhibition I think it would be something special and memorable. I don't want to threadjack, but I do look forward to seeing other PSers suggestions.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Greenlake jewelry is in Seattle, so that might be a place to stop by for some antique pieces and bling :love:

If you love sushi, Maneki serves quality sushi for a decent price, it's our go-to when we have a craving for sushi. Uwajimaya (a grocery store in the international district) has a food court where the food is actually pretty tasty.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
for some nice antique jewelry in the downtown area I would go to Alexandria Rossoff on 402 University Street. I posted a picture of some bling I saw [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/for-seattle-area-antique-lovers.175300/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/for-seattle-area-antique-lovers.175300/[/URL]

I bought the City Pass from Costco, and went to the Zoo, the Air and Space Museum and a boat ride around the Sound. I guess it depends on how long you are there and what kind of things you like to do? There is some fun shopping!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
The underground tour is pretty cool but it really depends in the guide you get. Some are awesome, others are meh. This is a tricky time for weather, so be forewarned that you might get rained out of any outdoor activities. It's very easy to get between Pioneer Square (where the underground tour is), Pike Place, and Seattle Center (where EMP is) but Seattle is pretty spread out so a lot depends on how far you want to travel to get places. I still haven't been to the Museum of Flight but I hear good things.

When you say shoestring budget for food, what does that mean? My very favorite cheap eats in town are at Paseo (one location on Fremont Ave in the Fremont neighborhood, the other near the Shilshole marina in the Ballard neighborhood). They have delicious Cuban sandwiches, particularly the pulled pork, but the lines can be cah-razy if you get unlucky! There are also tons of pho places around, check yelp or urbanspoon to see if any near you look worth going to. A few places in the market are good, too: Le Panier for French pastries, including some nice savory tarts, Michous right next door for soups and panini, and the piroshki place are my favorites.

ETA: there is an antique mall in the Sodo area, I want to say around 4th Ave S and S Lander St (?). I think it's a bit pricey, but if you poke around you might find some good deals! The name might be something like Pacific Galleries... There may be others, but that's the only one I've been to.

D

Deactivated member 42515

I second the King Tut exhibit that Alistra recommended. DH and I went a few months ago. If you can, make sure you don't go on a weekend. When we went, it was so packed that I could barely look at anything. Some tickets also come with a handheld listening device and these devices made people zombies. Just listening to it and not paying attention to their surrounding at all. But it is a good opportunity to take a look since its never gonna tour America again after January.

Underground tour is interesting but sometimes smelly. But if your claustrophobic, it's a no no....

If it was spring or summer :( I would recommend going canoeing in Lake Washington. It is beautiful.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,
I live in the area. For sure the King Tut exhibit. I went on a weeknight around 5 pm and it was fine. Not crowded at all. There is the Chihuly art glass exhibit also. It's in the Seattle Center area. Also, the Seattle Aquarium and there is the Seattle Art Museum. Both of those are walking distance from Pike Place.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Octavia|1353654300|3313192 said:
The underground tour is pretty cool but it really depends in the guide you get. Some are awesome, others are meh. This is a tricky time for weather, so be forewarned that you might get rained out of any outdoor activities. It's very easy to get between Pioneer Square (where the underground tour is), Pike Place, and Seattle Center (where EMP is) but Seattle is pretty spread out so a lot depends on how far you want to travel to get places. I still haven't been to the Museum of Flight but I hear good things.

When you say shoestring budget for food, what does that mean? My very favorite cheap eats in town are at Paseo (one location on Fremont Ave in the Fremont neighborhood, the other near the Shilshole marina in the Ballard neighborhood). They have delicious Cuban sandwiches, particularly the pulled pork, but the lines can be cah-razy if you get unlucky! There are also tons of pho places around, check yelp or urbanspoon to see if any near you look worth going to. A few places in the market are good, too: Le Panier for French pastries, including some nice savory tarts, Michous right next door for soups and panini, and the piroshki place are my favorites.

ETA: there is an antique mall in the Sodo area, I want to say around 4th Ave S and S Lander St (?). I think it's a bit pricey, but if you poke around you might find some good deals! The name might be something like Pacific Galleries... There may be others, but that's the only one I've been to.

The museum of flight is okay...I would say it's fine if you're really into airplanes/aerospace! My kids and husband loved it, but I sort of spaced out during it!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
There is an amazing by the ounce spice store down the street from Pike's Place where I could spend all day just taking in the smells! And you will DIE over the flowers at the market...SO beautiful and SO CHEAP! Enjoy your trip!!! :appl:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
vc10um|1353697800|3313460 said:
There is an amazing by the ounce spice store down the street from Pike's Place where I could spend all day just taking in the smells! And you will DIE over the flowers at the market...SO beautiful and SO CHEAP! Enjoy your trip!!! :appl:

Yeah, Pike Place is also a GREAT place to pick up fun holiday gifts! Lots of cool stuff.

D

Deactivated member 42515

MichelleCarmen said:
Hi,
I live in the area. For sure the King Tut exhibit. I went on a weeknight around 5 pm and it was fine. Not crowded at all. There is the Chihuly art glass exhibit also. It's in the Seattle Center area. Also, the Seattle Aquarium and there is the Seattle Art Museum. Both of those are walking distance from Pike Place.
Lucky! It was soooooo crowded when we went. I don't mind crowds at all but hen we went it was like people right next to u like sardines. Maybe it has died down since school started.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
YayTacori|1353698385|3313468 said:
MichelleCarmen said:
Hi,
Lucky! It was soooooo crowded when we went. I don't mind crowds at all but hen we went it was like people right next to u like sardines. Maybe it has died down since school started.

Yeah, that would have driven me nuts especially after paying so much to go in there. Luckily we had discount coupons! We go to the Seattle Center often and usually go during the day when there is a day off from school. The traffic can be horrible after, so we resign to that trade-off!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
How I miss my Ivar's clam chowder!!!! I can't wait to move back to the PNW to eat it again :)

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
HopeDream|1353612631|3312994 said:
Hello,

Recomendations for cheap places to eat would be most appreciated (We're on a shoestring budget).

Hi HopeDream,

Mario Batali's father's hole-in-the-wall Salumi shop is TDF for lunch. It's not far from the underground tour, and one of our most memorable meals while in Seattle-- highly recommend, and in budget!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/salumi-artisan-cured-meats-seattle-2

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Also, Tom Douglas seems to kind of own the Seattle dining scene; he has a range of restaurants, but we enjoyed the casual yet tasty experience at Serious Pie (his pizza place) that we stopped in a second time during our very short trip there. As you mentioned shoestring budget, check into their happy hour:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/serious-pie-seattle

HTH!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

We had a great time in Seattle. We took the Bolt bus from Vancouver ($15 each way!) and stayed at the Green Tortoise Hostel - Scruffy and cheap but also a nice relaxed home base - not too busy in November :) ( $52/night)

We went on the undergroud tour - very cool ! and had sandwiches from Salumi - delicious.

We did the seattle City pass challenge in about 2 days and saw the EMP, the Space Needle (day and night), the aquarium, the harbour tour, and the zoo. ( Don't go to the zoo on a rainy day in November the animals will all be hiding) The King Tut exhibit was great and we went at about 4pm - few people and just enough time to see everything. We rode the monorail, saw the market, and the curiosity shop (lots of human mummies!).

We also enjoyed Blue C sushi (Conveyor-belt sushi!), and Golden Signha Thai (Huge lunch portions - we had leftovers for dinner :)

I'd love to go back soon and see more stuff! Everyone was super friendly and welcoming (Americans are fantastic at hospitality!)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
HopeDream|1354504505|3321013 said:
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

We had a great time in Seattle. We took the Bolt bus from Vancouver ($15 each way!) and stayed at the Green Tortoise Hostel - Scruffy and cheap but also a nice relaxed home base - not too busy in November :) ( $52/night)

We went on the undergroud tour - very cool ! and had sandwiches from Salumi - delicious.

We did the seattle City pass challenge in about 2 days and saw the EMP, the Space Needle (day and night), the aquarium, the harbour tour, and the zoo. ( Don't go to the zoo on a rainy day in November the animals will all be hiding) The King Tut exhibit was great and we went at about 4pm - few people and just enough time to see everything. We rode the monorail, saw the market, and the curiosity shop (lots of human mummies!).

We also enjoyed Blue C sushi (Conveyor-belt sushi!), and Golden Signha Thai (Huge lunch portions - we had leftovers for dinner :)

I'd love to go back soon and see more stuff! Everyone was super friendly and welcoming (Americans are fantastic at hospitality!)

Glad you had a great time!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Next time you come, we should do a GTG! Glad you had a good time here :))

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Likely DH and I will be in Seattle at the end of April, tagging along with my parents since my dad has a conference to attend, so we'll be entertaining my mom while my dad is busy. It's good to hear people enjoy it there so much! I hadn't thought of visiting jewelry stores... :naughty:

D

Deactivated member 42515

Can't wait till the next GTG. I'm going rain or shine! Snow or ice! Hail or earthquake! Apocalypse or nuclear war!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results