shape
carat
color
clarity

Pity party for one

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry everyone. I am going to blather for awhile. I am not even expecting feedback I just need to get this out into writing somehow. Long story short. I was meant to move to a new place TOMORROW and we backed out today. The way laws work here, the tenants who were meant to be releases from their contract are now back on the hook until new tenants can be found. This means at least half a months rent for them. We are offering to pay but the whole situation makes us pretty awful people. For months we have been communicating about which walls they ciuld leave painted in bright colors what garden furniture we would buy off them, now this. I am stressed out even though we aren't in any financial obligation. I cannot imagine how stressed and worried they must be. I want us to take over the lease and for us to be the ones who find new tenants etc, but my logical partner says that is stupid and why would we do that to ourselves? I am atheist, and really hope I'm right because we did something horrible to some really nice people. Don't want to come back as a dung beetle.

To anyone waiting for info on my preloved listing i am so sorry. This day have been so awfully full of self pity and guilt that I haven't gotten around it to it. Sorry!

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can see how this would be very stressful, for both you and the people whose lease you were meant to take over (if I understood correctly).

I totally agree with your concerns... it must be very difficult for them to have plans cancelled one day before move day. If you had signed a lease with them or the property's landlord, in my jurisdiction cancelling would not be permitted (although good luck to anyone trying to recoup anything).

I think your offer to cover rent (or otherwise compensate them in some reasonable way) is appropriate. It helps make the best of a bad situation.

Out of curiosity, did they accept your offer to provide compensation ?

Anne

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry that you are upset. Your feelings of guilt can be harnessed into something positive because you know the current tenants and might know of what kind of gesture they would appreciate, beyond just money. What do you think would be a kind thing you could do for them now that you aren't moving in?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big, squishy, lovely hugs to you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results