shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink tourmaline

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ydiamonds

Rough_Rock
I have this little pretty coming from Peter Torraca and I''m very excited. This is my first loose colored gemstone purchase, after seeing everyone''s beautiful stones and projects. I intend to use it for a pendant. What does everyone think of this stone? Peter wasn''t sure if it''s heat treated though.

Thank you very much in advance.

pink tourmaline radiant.jpg

ydiamonds

Rough_Rock
Hand shot from Peter.

Tour192_hand_sm.jpg

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s a beautiful shade of pink! Congrats on your first gemstone (more to follow, I bet - they are so enticing!)
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on the measurement of the stone and setting, it could be set in a pendant. It looks to have a pleasant pastel pink colour.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
It''s lovely! Congrats on your purchase!!
36.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I was drooling over that one. Congratulations for a pretty stone!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, it''s very pretty!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is a beautiful stone. That is my favorite shade of pink too. Congratulations on your purchase.

ydiamonds

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. Do you think the dark spots on the magnified picture are ok? What about the possible heating? I don''t know much about heated vs unheated tourmalines.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is such a lovely shape... and Beautiful color

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The dark areas are little bits of extinction. Some are needed to allow the stone to show "life" or scintillation. Having a lot of extinction isn't good but a little is fine. Tourmalines are generally untreated but lately, there have been some pinks (and only the pinks) being heated to get the colour.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They''re actually nuked first to make them colorless, then heated to make them pink.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know what you mean about drooling over everyone''s projects. Your new stone looks very beautiful though. Please take lots of photos when you get it.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was eyeing that stone the other day! It is breathtaking! I love the cut of it!!!!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2009 10:42:55 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
They''re actually nuked first to make them colorless, then heated to make them pink.

Interesting! Didn''t know that, T_L.

Looks pretty, regardless. Very nice, ydiamonds.

ydiamonds

Rough_Rock
Thanks everybody. I have to limit myself to only 1 pink stone so I''ve been waiting for a few months for the right one to come along. I wasn''t even considering a rectangular radiant until I saw this one! I just love radiant cuts.

Thanks Chrono and TL. You are always so knowledgeable and informative. I feel better knowing you guys approve of the stone.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh that''s such a pretty stone! And such a sweet shade of pink! You''re really gonna love it i''m sure!

ydiamonds

Rough_Rock
Update: if anyone was thinking of getting this stone, I sent it back today. I''m just not crazy about the step cutting on the crown for some reason. I was very excited to get it, and it''s a beautiful color.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that''s too bad! I hope you find another one you really like.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s the way it goes sometimes; you just never know until you have the stone in hand. I hope you''ll find something you love soon.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results