shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Topaz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Hello! I need your help.

As some of you might be aware that Dan at http://www.customgemstones.com/ has recently cut a Pink Topaz.

I am first in line for this stone. I need to some help/advice/guidance on this one because it is worth a bit.

I am new to the gemstone game and have been drawn into it big time. I would love to start collecting for a hobby.

Is this stone a worth while stone to add to my budding collection?

I swear I had more questions about it but I have lost it now?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
It''s tough to tell without knowing what stone you are looking at (and it gets only marginally easier then...). Is it the pale pink shield-shaped 3.17 ct?

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Yes its the stone in the "NEWEST STONE" part! The pale pink topaz triangular shape stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dan''s stones are all natural bar gentle heating so I assume this is an "unnuked" pink topaz; which makes it a rather uncommon stone. That alone says a natural pink topaz is a good collection stone. However, do you like the shape? The colour is decent but the shape is unsual and would probably require a custom setting.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 8:10:18 AM
Author: Chrono
Dan''s stones are all natural bar gentle heating so I assume this is an ''unnuked'' pink topaz; which makes it a rather uncommon stone. That alone says a natural pink topaz is a good collection stone. However, do you like the shape? The colour is decent but the shape is unsual and would probably require a custom setting.

What does ''unnuked'' mean?
I am not a fan of triangular shape anything and I must admit I was a tad disappointed when I saw he cut it into a triangle shape, even though I saw it coming when I saw the rough. But when I look at the stone I love it and I could picture it at the bottom of a drop pendant, but I think I won''t set this one and just protect it.

Is it worthwhile adding it to my collection or could you take it or leave it?

On a side note. My boyfriend really likes it. (I haven''t told him the price yet) But the weird part, the cut of the octagon asscher in my avatar was a bit to far for my boyfriend but he loves this triangular one. MEN!!!

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
"unnuked" as in un nuclear??? as in no treatments?? Is that what you mean?
Dan said there is no treatments, but I am assuming heated, I have asked him, but he is sleeping away at the moment, so I am awaiting and answer!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most topazs have been irradiated, hence my term "nuked". So yes, they have been "nuclear-ed".
9.gif
Well coloured unnuked ones therefore are rarer and more costly. I do not like triangular shapes much, so for me, I could take it or leave it. Topazs are pretty hardy stones so they don''t need to be babied.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Yeh I don''t LOVE the cut so I am not sure that adding that stone to my collection is worthwhile for me personally, I think I am loving the idea more of having a pink topaz in my collection. But I have never seen an untreated pink topaz so I feel that I should snap it up now.

I am indecisive on this. And I thought my rule was that I will add stones to my collection if they took my breath away, and to be honest, this one did, but the cut keeps coming to haunt me. I love it when I look at it, but then I look away and thoughts creep into my head. But I am also trying to be smart about it. I feel this is a good opportunity.

Someone help me! I think I will sleep on it and see what Dan has to say.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about asking Dan if he has any more pink topaz rough and what other shapes can he get out of it? Maybe this way you can still get your pink topaz but this time in a cut that you''ll love.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Oh man! Where I am it is 3.15am!!!! I can''t sleep cause of this stone lol!!! He said its a wonderful stone and quite a big one with is unnatural, quite a collector stone. But I did ask him if he had other roughs. If he doesn''t I am going to take it, If he does ill try for a cut I love more. It is quite cute when you give it a good look, its a fan!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I too consider it a fan shape, not a trilliant because the 2 sides are flattish while the 3rd side is rounded.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Okay I bought it!!!! I couldn''t let it go!! He has a few smaller roughs that he thinks won''t even cut to a carat and they have quite included. He has a lot of interest in this stone, so I thought it must be something spectacular. He also said it looks like a big pink diamond!!!!!

And the thing that sold me was it just came out of the ground like that, no treatments, no heating what so ever!!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''ll post your pics here too right? I can''t wait to see it.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Miss Lass,

I absolutely think you did the right thing. I can see a very beautiful pendant with either an inverted pear, trillion or even RB above it.

You will be wearing something completely unique. It''s beautiful.

And just for the record, I scour dozens of websites selling gemstones and I don''t think I have ever seen a unheated pink topaz apart from Mr Lembeck''s e-store and they cost gazillions!

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 12:22:02 PM
Author: Gailey
Miss Lass,

I absolutely think you did the right thing. I can see a very beautiful pendant with either an inverted pear, trillion or even RB above it.

You will be wearing something completely unique. It's beautiful.

And just for the record, I scour dozens of websites selling gemstones and I don't think I have ever seen a unheated pink topaz apart from Mr Lembeck's e-store and they cost gazillions!
Oh thank you!!!!!!!!! I feel so much better! I boyfriend doesn't know yet cause he is a sleep while I am up spending money!!!!
3.gif
This will all go as evidence in support of my case! Yes I have never come across one either, let alone no heat treatment! So I think I have made a really good decision!

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 11:51:49 AM
You''ll post your pics here too right? I can''t wait to see it.

Of course I will!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That pink topaz is far larger, deeper in tone and has a more intense colour, so of course it costs a bundle.
3.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I was just looking at that pink topaz, and am so happy to see that you got it. The shape is wonderful. In the hands of an awesome designer (which I am most decidedly not!) that could be an incredible signature piece for you. I am constantly amazed at what wonderful things talented people come up with. Let the creative juices flow!

I''m attaching a pic for people to see. Remember to allow for the washed out nature of Dan''s photos. That is going to be an amazing piece.

NewRock327pinktopaz.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 1:36:15 PM
That pink topaz is far larger, deeper in tone and has a more intense colour, so of course it costs a bundle.
3.gif
Yes of course you are right Chrono. It wasn''t my intention to make a comparison between the two stones, but merely to try and reassure Lass she was acquiring a worthwhile stone.

I would have picked another example if I could have found one, but Steve is the only person I have seen selling any un-treated pink topaz.

Anyone seen any others?

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It''s a great looking cut, and will make a much more interesting finished piece than an oval or round will.
Custom cutters will do cut that you don''t typically see just to create a uniqueness in the stone. While often these will require a custom setting, the finished piece is much more unique, and doesn''t look like something you bought in a mall.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Just to add it is 3.67ct not 3.27!!!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Yay! I think the cut is really cool, and I like the paler pinks. How will you set it?
Lovely stone!

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 3:10:30 PM

3.gif
Yes of course you are right Chrono. It wasn't my intention to make a comparison between the two stones, but merely to try and reassure Lass she was acquiring a worthwhile stone.

I would have picked another example if I could have found one, but Steve is the only person I have seen selling any un-treated pink topaz.

Anyone seen any others?
Here is one - at least, that's what it was sold as in Ouro Preto. It's about 6ct. The cut is nothing to shout about, but I love the colour. Excuse the dirty stone in very diffused light; it does sparkle IRL.

OMC Topaz 2.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 6:19:32 PM
Author: lasscreative
Just to add it is 3.67ct not 3.27!!!
Even better!
36.gif

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
My stone is from Pakistan.
I would love to make a pendant out of it. Something like what Leon does but I am so confused at the moment. I need to get it and hit the drawing board!
Here is a bigger picture.

367PnkTpz.jpg

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 6:32:15 PM
Author: oldmancoyote
Date: 11/18/2008 3:10:30 PM

3.gif
Yes of course you are right Chrono. It wasn''t my intention to make a comparison between the two stones, but merely to try and reassure Lass she was acquiring a worthwhile stone.

Anyone seen any others?
Here is one - at least, that''s what it was sold as in Ouro Preto. It''s about 6ct. The cut is nothing to shout about, but I love the colour. Excuse the dirty stone in very diffused light; it does sparkle IRL.

Do you own this OMC?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Pink (and red) topaz is very rare, as it comes from only the tip of the elongated topaz crystal.

A natural stone (unheated and non-irradiated [nuked]) is a real find.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 7:27:39 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Pink (and red) topaz is very rare, as it comes from only the tip of the elongated topaz crystal.

A natural stone (unheated and non-irradiated [nuked]) is a real find.
OHh phew!!! You are making me feel so much better!!! So I did good right? Its worth spending my money on this then fixing my car door? LOL

I guess I should get it appraised. I have no idea where I would get that done in Sydney Australia. Ideas?? anyone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results