shape
carat
color
clarity

pink topaz question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pad3006

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone;
I found a really pretty pink topaz pendant for my GF at a store near here. The price seemed good, it was a good size, but I didnt ask the carat wieght of it.
What I am wondering is this. I did a search on here about them and it seems some people like them and others dont. I realize that it is not as durable as pink spinel and it is heat treated. But I was wondering of that matters much with a pendant? Also is the fact that its heat treated bad? Like will it change or discolor over time? Thanks a lot

Phil

conitta

Shiny_Rock
My pink Topaz earings faded.I bought the stones at a gem show and had earrings made.Heck! they may not have even been Topaz to begin with. I was using them till I could get Pink Sapphire earrings. I had the faded pink stones replaced with blue Zircon. I have a couple pieces of Mystic Fire jewelry and it has not faded.A friend of mine has a large pink Topaz pendent and it has not faded.It is treated and it is inexpensive compared to other pink gems so if you like it go for it.It being a pendent if will not take a beating like a ring will. You like it get it ! ! ! I am sure your GF will love it....Just my opinon.

Connie
35.gif

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The pink color may be just a coating on the stone, and you can scratch the color off.

togal

Shiny_Rock
The inexpensive "sunset topaz" and the "mystic topaz" (aka "Caribbean topaz") have a painted coating on the back, which gives them their color, thus the color can wear off, unlike the heat treated topaz, which I believe comes in pink (expensive), and the less expensive heat treated blue topaz (sky blue, swiss blue, london blue). With the heat treated stones, I believe the color stays forever and doesn''t fade. Either way, for a pendant, I think you will be fine, especially if it''s not expensive - IMO

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
My daughter has a pink topaz ring that still looks wonderful ... it was not coated.. or painted at all.. we actually picked out the stone and the setting.. it is very sparkly and beautiful... I will try to find some pics...

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
The pics I found do not do this ring justice... but I will post a few... it is beautiful

anotherpinktopazforymy.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
another

anotherminedaughterring.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
oops.. sorry double picture post

pinktopazformygirl.jpg

riogems

Shiny_Rock
Yes - most likely the pink topaz you''re talking about is the coated kind. This coating is pretty durable though -- it is only likely to be damaged by a jeweler setting or cleaning the jewelry. Otherwise, it is unlikely to fade as long as you don''t clean it with harsh chemicals. The coating is on the pavilion of the stone -- and as long as it was done by azotic, it should last quite a while.

Some major no-no''s are applying heat to it, scratching it (of course, you wouldn''t want to scratch the stone if it wasn''t treated either), applying harsh chemicals, steam cleaning or ultra-sonic cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results