shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Spinel in a Gemstone Project + David Klass halo

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I've had this pink mahenge spinel sitting around for two years. Since I first saw them I've adored Chrono's pear spinel halo and BrightIce's pear spinel halo - they've been my favorite rings other than my engagement ring for years now. This ring was going to be my version. But when I went to try on similar halos... I didn't like how they looked on my hand. They just weren't me. I like chunkier rings, that's just all there is to it. Skinny bands, skinny halos, they look great but aren't my thing. Which left me stumped. I had a folder full of inspiration ideas and none of them really spoke to me. (Also, try finding pear settings with fancy galleries. It's nearly impossible. Most of them are either empty or look like the prow of a cruise ship, and I do not mean that as a compliment.)

Eventually my 30th birthday was coming up and I really wanted to set this stone, but kind of decided that maybe I should do something else instead. At any rate I was gripped by indecision. BUT THEN I saw NKOTB's cuprian tourmaline in this scalloped/spiky halo and it was love at first sight. I waited less than a full day before contacting Elle at The Gemstone Project to get started with an Intrepide halo of my own. I'd say this is much less deliberating than usual, but I suppose I'd really been deliberating for two years! I also ordered one of her Accolade bands to go with it.

I received it yesterday and it is perfect. Exactly like what I imagined when I first saw NKOTB's and started thinking about it for my stone. Elle was beyond patient with my many emails and with what I felt were my numerous nitpicky changes, and I felt like she really understood the changes I wanted and why I wanted them and was effectively able to communicate them to David for the CADs. Feeling like I was working with someone on the same wavelength really made the process so much easier. I first contacted Elle on June 30, I approved the final CAD on July 29, and I received the rings on August 23, so about eight weeks start to finish, which is the quickest I've ever had a custom project completed.

Here are the pictures from David Klass:

img_7664.jpg

img_7666.jpg

img_7667.jpg

img_7670.jpg

And my first Olloclip shot:

img_2073_copy.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I felt like we went through fifty rounds of CADs but apparently it was only three. I'm including them here because I always love seeing the process and CADs + finished item to see how things match up.

The first thing that was sent - it was already changed from the original Intrepide with the split shank being curvier/the split moved in, the petal between the splits (a really lovely detail on the original) getting dropped because there was no longer room for it, and the petals being changed to kite shapes.
4_view.jpg

For this one I wanted the kite thingies in the gallery squared-off, everything made shorter, and the V prong as opposed to double prongs at the top. Elle wanted the halo curves to be more concave on some parts, which is a detail I would never have noticed but which looks really great.
4_view__1_.jpg

The last change was when I realized that the thing that was still bugging me about the ring was that the band wasn't wide enough, so I said "go wider!" But lo! It is now perfect.
img_5807.jpg

While the original Intrepide was not milgrained, this was because I was getting the Accolade band with milgrain and wanted them to match.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The lighting was super weird at my house yesterday because it was so cloudy, so in order to get things to look alright I was hovering my hand over the floor in the middle of the room. Cat did not understand why I was in petting position but not petting him.
img_1914_0.jpg

img_1915_0.jpg

img_1923.jpg

img_1922_0.jpg

In sunlight:
img_1942.jpg

In store lighting:
img_1951_1.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I said in my CS post... I hate it when pears are worn upside-down (point-side down). It's wrong. It's unnatural. It's... it's... heeeeeey look, it looks nice with this ring. Let's take twenty pictures of that! :lol:

img_1916.jpg

img_1927.jpg

fullsizerender__3__8.jpg

Some different angles showing how low set it is and all the fun milgraining details:

img_1924.jpg

img_1940.jpg

img_1941.jpg

The Accolade band with a few vintage rings:

fullsizerender__3__copy.jpg

fullsizerender__4__copy.jpg

okay... is that enough pictures to have posted all at once? lol.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooohhhhh.... Distracts!!! This is utterly beyond beautiful!!!!!!!

I absolutely :love: :love: :love: It! The detail of the millgrain, the scalloped halo, the colour of the stone... Drool....

Will you wear it in place of your beautiful wedding set? Or have two beautifully adorned hands? Love it - well done :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I wrote in your other thread about this gorgeous ring I LOVE it. Gorgeous color and gorgeous setting. :love: An eye catching beautiful ring. :love:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOWSERS! :love: Absolutely LOVE it!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful spinel and setting :love: Looks lovely on you too!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omigosh I'm in love with this ring, the color of that spinel is amazing, such a gorgeous and rich pink - it looks delicious lol - the setting is so beautifully done - this ring is a winner, congrats and enjoy!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love how the set is so different yet so timeless at the same time!!! It's gorgeous!!! :love: :love: :love:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex T|1472116609|4069862 said:
Oooohhhhh.... Distracts!!! This is utterly beyond beautiful!!!!!!!

I absolutely :love: :love: :love: It! The detail of the millgrain, the scalloped halo, the colour of the stone... Drool....

Will you wear it in place of your beautiful wedding set? Or have two beautifully adorned hands? Love it - well done :appl:

Thank you! My right and left ring fingers are roughly the same size so I can wear it on either hand. One of the reasons I wanted it so low is so I can wear it on my right hand - rings on that hand get banged up a lot more, especially if they're set highish. I wear on either or both fingers depending on how I feel - while my wedding set gets the most wear on my left hand, I have many alternates. I am definitely not a "one ring to rule them all" person - not sure I could ever find a single ring I liked that much.

Thank you for your compliments Missy, JoCoJenn, and Bright Ice (couldn't have done it without your ring as inspiration!).

junebug17|1472130114|4069905 said:
Omigosh I'm in love with this ring, the color of that spinel is amazing, such a gorgeous and rich pink - it looks delicious lol - the setting is so beautifully done - this ring is a winner, congrats and enjoy!

Oh Junebug you should have seen my face when I first saw this spinel in the Prima Gem tray. It looked SO big and SO pink and I was sure I couldn't afford it. But it was only $100 over my budget and - hey - for that color, what's $100?? :lol: :lol: :lol: And it does indeed look delicious - I usually know I've found a stone I truly like if I want to pick it up and eat it!

PintoBean|1472130527|4069907 said:
I love how the set is so different yet so timeless at the same time!!! It's gorgeous!!! :love: :love: :love:

Thank you! I don't know if you know the nail polish brand Julep, but for their subscription thing you take a quiz that identifies your style and mine is "Classic with a Twist" which I think is really accurate for me, and, yes, this ring fits into that!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out beautiful! I love the band you got to go with it! Lovely stone color too!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trying to figure out how to take decent pictures with the Olloclip...

fullsizerender__4__5.jpg

fullsizerender__5__2.jpg

Took it outside... this is indirect sunlight but the color is still really popping! I don't feel like I'm getting good pics of it in direct sunlight yet... it glows so hard but it's just like my engagement ring where every time I try to get a picture of the color in direct sunlight, it looks darker than what I'm seeing.

fullsizerender__6__0.jpg

fullsizerender__7__0.jpg

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
So gorgeous! For photos outside, try sunrise/sunset and diffuse lighting (like under a tree).

bugbear

Shiny_Rock
That band compliments your pear ring perfectly! I love all the milgrain detail too! Those last close-up pics are great! How are you liking your olloclip? I've been thinking of getting one.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lovely!!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Rubybeth, Lioness, and Tourmaline!

bugbear|1472162599|4070082 said:
That band compliments your pear ring perfectly! I love all the milgrain detail too! Those last close-up pics are great! How are you liking your olloclip? I've been thinking of getting one.

I think the photos speak to themselves on the Olloclip count! The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't fit over my phone case so I have to take my phone case off when I want to use it. Given that I just have the macro one and am using it to photograph jewelry at my home, that's not an issue, but if I was getting the wide-angle lens or doing nature photography or something I could see how that would get annoying really quickly. But it's definitely way superior to holding my loupe up to my iphone!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vibrant and beautiful!!

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
distracts said:
As I said in my CS post... I hate it when pears are worn upside-down (point-side down). It's wrong. It's unnatural. It's... it's... heeeeeey look, it looks nice with this ring. Let's take twenty pictures of that! :lol:

img_1916.jpg

img_1927.jpg

fullsizerender__3__8.jpg

Some different angles showing how low set it is and all the fun milgraining details:

img_1924.jpg

img_1940.jpg

img_1941.jpg

The Accolade band with a few vintage rings:

fullsizerender__3__copy.jpg

fullsizerender__4__copy.jpg

okay... is that enough pictures to have posted all at once? lol.

I really dig that last picture of the band with the solitaire!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
What an amazing ring! The setting is just perfect for your stunning stone! Thanks for sharing. :wavey:

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
Wow!! :love:

How freakin gorgeous!!! Good job The Gemstone Project and distracts!

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
It's stunning!! Congrats!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone is gorgeous and I love the shape of Gemstone Project's halo design with it! :love:

bugbear

Shiny_Rock
distracts|1472185293|4070160 said:
Thank you Rubybeth, Lioness, and Tourmaline!

bugbear|1472162599|4070082 said:

I think the photos speak to themselves on the Olloclip count! The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't fit over my phone case so I have to take my phone case off when I want to use it. Given that I just have the macro one and am using it to photograph jewelry at my home, that's not an issue, but if I was getting the wide-angle lens or doing nature photography or something I could see how that would get annoying really quickly. But it's definitely way superior to holding my loupe up to my iphone!

Thanks for the info, Distracts! I'm pretty sure I'll get an Olloclip. I'll be using it mainly to photograph jewelry too, so having to remove my phone case now and then won't be too much of a hassle. Thanks again!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

How wonderful! Gorgeous hands!!

cheers--Sharon

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
What a delicious candy You have!!! It's so beautiful. IMO this is most beautiful setting and Mahenge spinel combination I have seen. Ever.

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
Love the kitty, the ring and the band!!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Distracts....the color on that spinel!!!! :love: :love: :love: It's so rich and vibrant! :appl: Kudos to you & TGP on this collaboration! It has turned out exquisitely! :clap: :clap: :clap: That halo is amazing and it really enhances your spinel. Just a lovely combination with the design, profile, millgrain and proportions! :appl: :appl: :appl: Congratulations! :clap:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on Jewel of the Week, distracts! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results