shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink gold for pink diamond

minicat

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I am not sure if this is in the right section but I am going to be setting some pink melee diamonds into a halo (1.5mm FP). I know that the halo needs to be rose/pink gold and I have looked into it a little bit and was wondering if anyone has any advise other than what is on wikipedia. Apparently there is a mixture of metals that give more of a pink colour than other rose golds, but im not sure if thats what I should be trying for?

Pls see link for gold chart

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_gold

Thanks for any advise.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Most vendors have their own mixtures of rose or pink gold and I've never known one that actually gave me their composition. You need to look at the rose/pink gold that your setter or setters you're considering are using. Some are more pink, some are more coppery. Many people prefer 14kt as it has more copper in it and will usually look pinker. 18kt tends to be more peachy from most vendors, but I have 18kt gold that is quite pink looking and all the pink diamonds I have right now are set in 18kt rose gold. I am, however, considering using 14kt gold with pink diamonds for a new project. I just don't like it when it looks too coppery.

eta- so you found your pink melee??

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hi PJ,

thank you for your insight. i have spoken to a few vendors here in AUS, and they too have mentioned the rose gold with potential cupping to 'enhance' the colour or make the colour pop out more.

I didnt think about their actual composition... that is one for the memory banks.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
gregchang35|1404876802|3709492 said:
Hi PJ,

thank you for your insight. i have spoken to a few vendors here in AUS, and they too have mentioned the rose gold with potential cupping to 'enhance' the colour or make the colour pop out more.

I didnt think about their actual composition... that is one for the memory banks.

You're welcome =)
Did you purchase any of the pinks you were considering?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hi PJ, :wavey: :wavey:
thanks for remembering and asking...

Sorry minicat for threadjacking... :pray: :pray:

Hmm let me see, i did put a few posts up :cheeky: ... there was one that was a little obstructed which i decided to let go. The other one has a feather that looks surface reaching on one side of the emerald cut. That was the one that i had asked for more opinions on. That pink emerald cut i loved it the moment i set my eyes on it. it was a very bubble gum pink....maynot be the most techinical name for it but that is what i immediately thought of and i could relate that colour to one of my daughters. So, it sits pretty high on the definite buy list.....FCD is all about colour. So, i think it is going to be a keeper. I have established that the feather is no were near where a prong will be, so it will not be an issue. not sure if they use a bezel of some description whether it is going to be a problem. i am hoping not.

The vendor has reassured me that it will not be an issue and that this particular inclusion is not going to affect the structural integrity. (sales pitch 101?) . In any case, that stone is on hold for me and we are searching for another one to see if anything better comes up.

Once again minicat.. sorry for the thread jack..

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the many different looking pinks in the market, I would prefer to try on the vendor's rose gold setting first to see if it suits me. I find 14K rose gold too coppery for me but whilst I love the softer look of 18K rose gold, it blends in too well with my skin tone.

minicat

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advise everyone.

Yes PJ, they came today. They look fantastic - more pink than I had been shown before by other jewelers. Im still wondering if I should have gone up another colour grade, but I think ill always be wondering that unless I go for the top...

I remembered yesterday that one of my tenants has a 350yr old family biz in the Jewellery Quarter, and I think mixing me up a blob of pink metal to work with might be right up his street. I havent spoken to him yet, but Ill def come back and let you all know how I got on. I dont even know if you can get a nice pink button and rework it...

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
minicat|1405015959|3710658 said:
Thanks for the advise everyone.

Yes PJ, they came today. They look fantastic - more pink than I had been shown before by other jewelers. Im still wondering if I should have gone up another colour grade, but I think ill always be wondering that unless I go for the top...

I remembered yesterday that one of my tenants has a 350yr old family biz in the Jewellery Quarter, and I think mixing me up a blob of pink metal to work with might be right up his street. I havent spoken to him yet, but Ill def come back and let you all know how I got on. I dont even know if you can get a nice pink button and rework it...

Yay!! So glad you're happy with them. I'm also working on a pink halo project and prices keep going up on the pink melee as I'm trying to figure out what to do!! Keep us updated on your progress. I'm pretty sure here in the US that the recycled gold has to be put thru some sort of refinery process, but I don't know the details. I don't think you can just melt something and use it- too many impurities. Maybe someone that knows more about the process will chime in.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think there is a thread comparing different pink golds

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results