shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Garnets? I had no idea

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
@blingmeupscotty What horribly fix thwarting marvelous news! I like the idea and congratulations on your burial plot, I mean, retirement land! :lol:
I have ten+ years before our hunt begins but I hope we can score a nice little bit of dirt ourselves!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had some pink garnets (Malaya garnets) several years back, but I sold them. My issue was that although in some lighting, they were a pretty blush pink, in sunlight, they turned too brown. As brown is my least favorite hue in colored gems, besides olive green, it was an issue for me. Now, I may have just had one with a poor color shift. Do any stay pink or blush pink in all light sources?

To the OP, good luck on your garnet, but if color shifting is a potential issue, I would open the box to make sure you truly love it as you are in the return period.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
I had some pink garnets (Malaya garnets) several years back, but I sold them. My issue was that although in some lighting, they were a pretty blush pink, in sunlight, they turned too brown. As brown is my least favorite hue in colored gems, besides olive green, it was an issue for me. Now, I may have just had one with a poor color shift. Do any stay pink or blush pink in all light sources?

To the OP, good luck on your garnet, but if color shifting is a potential issue, I would open the box to make sure you truly love it as you are in the return period.

The bigger stone I showed upthread shifts from purplish pink outdoors to orangish pink in various indoor lights. Never brown. To me, it's attractive in all lights. But, to be fair, it's not saturated pure pink in any light.

To the OP, if I were your position, I would open be box and check the stone in different lighting while the return window is open. I would want to be sure that I liked the colour shift, which it will almost certainly have. But I'm not you, so I don't presume to advise.

Reactions: T L

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
FYI all-the box is still in the closet. Sticking to the do not open until Xmas rule here.. unveiling in a few months!!!

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You meanie - when I saw that this thread was bumped I thought you had caved. :lol:

You know.. it just occurred to me.. do you think for a moment I should have written the dimensions down to have all this time to source myself an antique setting.. bahhahahahhahaha.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You meanie - when I saw that this thread was bumped I thought you had caved. :lol:

Well that didn't take long at all.. 14 days until I caved..honey.. I have to find a mount..."okay".. :| BAM..Indoor lighting makes it look purple..outdoor its a true pink to dark pink. I've NEVER seen a garnet sparkle like this. I think it has to do with the precision step cut though. What craftsmanship. I'll get a better video of it when I get into my studio this afternoon with the tools/toys and lightbox. <3

IMG_2415.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2416.jpg
    IMG_2416.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2412.jpg
    IMG_2412.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2411.jpg
    IMG_2411.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2413.jpg
    IMG_2413.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 24

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Well that didn't take long at all.. 14 days until I caved..honey.. I have to find a mount..."okay".. :| BAM..Indoor lighting makes it look purple..outdoor its a true pink to dark pink. I've NEVER seen a garnet sparkle like this. I think it has to do with the precision step cut though. What craftsmanship. I'll get a better video of it when I get into my studio this afternoon with the tools/toys and lightbox. <3

IMG_2415.jpg

I would say six months is a good run! It's Christmas in July - errr - August! Lovely stone. I love looking at the depth in the side view. Cannot wait to see more pics :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty, looks like a pink spinel. I’ve seen them go from pink to purple.

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock

IMG_2415.jpg

I’m a January baby and own zero garnets because I’m not a fan of the dark red I think of when it comes to them. But this… now this I could rock!!! Love it!!!

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
video coming soon :D

landscape

Shiny_Rock

Garnets do have pink color​

DSC_8926.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_8931.jpg
    DSC_8931.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 4