shape
carat
color
clarity

Pin

JAG25

Rough_Rock
pin2.jpg pin.jpg
Can anyone tell me something about this pin. I am not sure if it was my grandmothers or great grandmothers. It is 2 inches long and heavy for it size. To me it is a strange piece of jewelry.

Groucho

Rough_Rock
Your brooch appears to be from the Victorian era (c. 1890). This piece was probably made by machine, and then finished by hand.
This type of jewelry was often made in Birmingham, England. The swallow motif was popular during this time period. Other popular motifs include hearts, flowers and sentiments (e.g, Mitzpah, Forget Me Not, Best Wishes, Mother).

This type of jewelry appealed to the "working classes" as it was relatively inexpensive. The use of silver and machine-aided manufacturing allowed these types of articles to be priced affordably. Prior to this time period, jewelry was usually reserved for the wealthy upper classes.

Personally, I like the quirky nature of the Victorian silver items and think your brooch is quite nice.

JAG25

Rough_Rock
Thank you, thank you for your reply. I was hoping this might be something of my great grandmothers now it possibly is. May be with this information I can find out more. They were working class my great grandfather was a farmer and brick layer. The design and the brooch just seemed so strange to me. Thanks again

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results