shape
carat
color
clarity

pilates breathing question

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
If there are any pilates enthusiastes out there, I have a question about the breathing technique. I know that, at the heart of pilates, I have to keep my belly button "engaged" and sucked in to strengthen my core and support my back. But, am I supposed to keep this "engaged" position while I inhale? Or, do I: "disengage" inhale, "engage" as I exhale?
Thanks,

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am definitely not a pilates expert but have taken a couple classes/have a video. Obviously you cannot keep sucking in your tummy (pulling in your belly button) while you are breathing out. However, I think they would say you should maintain whatever posture you are supposed to be keeping while you do that exercise, both breathing in and out. For example if you are doing something where small of back is supposed to be on floor, keep it on floor while exhaling (don''t arch up).

Someone who knows more can definitely correct me if I''m wrong.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Part Gypsy,

That makes sense. I was a bit confused because I saw a yoga instructor in tv imply that he constantly kept his core engaged.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2010 8:03:15 PM
Author:Gempassion
If there are any pilates enthusiastes out there, I have a question about the breathing technique. I know that, at the heart of pilates, I have to keep my belly button ''engaged'' and sucked in to strengthen my core and support my back. But, am I supposed to keep this ''engaged'' position while I inhale? Or, do I: ''disengage'' inhale, ''engage'' as I exhale?

Thanks,

I just got back from Pilates class and saw this post. You are supposed to keep our core muscles engaged throughout the entire time you are performing an exercise. When your core is engaged, your belly button goes closer to your back. The core should be engaged on the inhale and exhale. You accomplish this by using the breathing technique of filling up the the back and sides of your ribcage rather than your stomach. Engaging the core and breathing properly enables you to keep your body aligned and stable during the exercise.

See if you can do this to feel the difference. While sitting up tall, breathe with your hand on your stomach and feel your stomach expand and contract. Next, engage your core, inhale through your nose and fill up your the back and sides of your rib cage, then exhale strongly through your mouth. For the second one, your stomach should not have expanded and contracted, only your ribcage. You maintain that type of breathing throughout the exercise.

There are some good written instructions and instructional videos on the internet. Also, if you are taking Pilates classes, don''t hesitate to ask the instructor for clarification. Others in the class may have the same question and everyone can benefit from reminders about proper form.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the update. Again, just my best guess! Not sure if I can get used to that. For example after doing yoga for awhile, it is all about the belly breathing, where belly breathing considered better because it engages your diaphragm. So doing it the pilates way (not letting stomach move) feels wrong.

Here''s another question. Virtually all the videos/classes I''ve done, you breath out when you are doing the exertion, breath in after the movement. One of the pilates classes I took was the opposite, where breathed in during the exertion (imagine breathing in while doing a stomach crunch) and I could never get used to that. Is that rule true for all pilates or just that particular instructor?

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much Mary Poppins!

I will definitely try it and let you know if I feel a difference. I really appreciate your informative answer.

Gem

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Part Gypsy! That''s a good question, and that''s exactly why I am confused because I do yoga and pilates and I tend to adhere to the yoga breathing for the pilates (I will still try Mary Poppins'' advice though).

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
Mary Poppins'' answer is completely right. I have been doing Pilates for over 10 years and she has described it perfectly. I have never done yoga but it is my understanding that the breathing patterns are opposite which can be confusing for those who do one and are just learning the other.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 11:37:56 PM
Author: Scorpioanne
Mary Poppins'' answer is completely right. I have been doing Pilates for over 10 years and she has described it perfectly. I have never done yoga but it is my understanding that the breathing patterns are opposite which can be confusing for those who do one and are just learning the other.
Just another one chiming in to say that Mary is correct. I have been doing pilates for nearly a year now and i am in an advanced class. As i sit here typing i am ''engaging'' and breathing just fine.
1.gif

It is something that you really need to master at the beginning of pilates in order to be able to do the excersizes correctly and to also protect your back from injury.

I would talk to your instructor on how to master this technique as you really shouldn''t be doing the excersizes without it.

I remember in the beginners class we were taught to put our thumbs in our mouth and suck on it. This will help you feel your core engaging. hold it there and breathe through it, with the air entering your chest and not your belly area.

It''s probably a good idea just to practice this technique alone without any excersizes until you get it right. Once you get it it becomes second nature!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 12:53:11 PM
Author: part gypsy

Here''s another question. Virtually all the videos/classes I''ve done, you breath out when you are doing the exertion, breath in after the movement. One of the pilates classes I took was the opposite, where breathed in during the exertion (imagine breathing in while doing a stomach crunch) and I could never get used to that. Is that rule true for all pilates or just that particular instructor?
You breathe out with the exertion and breathe in ready to prepare yourself for the next. (not sure what that pilates instructor was on about). It''s important because as you advance in the classes a lot of the exersices cant be done if you are not breathing correctly. Lie on the floor (legs straight) and try to do a ''roll up''. lie with your arms outstretched above your head on the floor. engage your core, breathe in, raise your arms and roll yourself up while holding your breath. this should be a fluid movement with no jerking to get up. Really hard right? Now do the same excersize but as you are rolling up breathe out, it makes it so much easier!

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! I can''t afford to take classes now so I''m using dvds. This information is extremely helpful (I haven''t used it yet though since I''ve had the flu and I''m waiting to get better to get back to the pilates).

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to add that when your core is engaged, while pulling your belly button back toward your spine is important, you also want to make sure that your ribcage is closed as well. Stand up straight and put your hand on your stomach and exhale making a ''choo!'' kind of noise and you''ll be able to feel whether your ribcage is closed or not. Also, when inhaling, I found it helped if I thought of it as taking air in such that only my chest expanded, while keeping my ribcage closed. In the beginning I did almost the entire class with my hand on my stomach, just to make sure. But it is true that once you get the hang of it it''ll just become second nature.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results