shape
carat
color
clarity

Picking a Diamond without Crown and Pavilion?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

larry

Rough_Rock
Would anyone recommend buying a diamond without the Crown and Pavilion numbers? I am looking for a Colorless (D-F) diamond in the 0.48-0.69 Carat range that is going to look really good and have a nice cut but without the Crown and Pavilion angles I can not put it into the cut advisor. I really notice a price difference in diamonds that have the Crown and Pavilion angles compared to those that don,t.

Any Advice?

Thanks

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 3/7/2002 1:50:52 PM

Would anyone recommend buying a diamond without the Crown and Pavilion numbers? I am looking for a Colorless (D-F) diamond in the 0.48-0.69 Carat range that is going to look really good and have a nice cut but without the Crown and Pavilion angles I can not put it into the cut advisor. I really notice a price difference in diamonds that have the Crown and Pavilion angles compared to those that don,t.

Any Advice?

Thanks
----------------

Hmmm...where are you buying? You usually get what you pay for. Don't be fooled by someone who claims to be a wholesaler. Anyone who sells to consumers is a retailer and nobody is giving anything away. Also, there is a difference in price of stones with AGS and GIA grading reports vs. those with grading reports from labs who are known for grading less stringently.

The prices being offered by vendors listed in the pricesearch on pricescope are about the lowest around. There is an occasional vendor who will beat the prices found there. Among these vendors are many who have Sarin machines and will get you the stone and measure those angles for you or who will have the wholesaler who has the diamond provide that information.

Feel free to ask more questions and let us know if we can help you find what you want. If getting quality cut for your budget is a problem, you may want to consider changing your requirements for the other C's.

:)

larry

Rough_Rock
All of the diamonds I have looked at are on pricescope but most diamonds only have the Depth, Table and Measurements not the Crown and Pavilion. I know that you can find diamonds on pricescope with the Crown and Pavilion angles listed (https://www.pricescope.com/sift.asp). Would it be recommended to only buy a diamond with the Crown and Pavilion angles listed or is the Depth, Table and Measurements enough to make a good choice. Also would the retailer have the Crown and Pavilion angles available even if they are not listed.

Thanks

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Larry,

A good retailer will obtain the measurements for you. If one of the vendors won't do it, use another vendor!

The diamonds listed by most of the vendors on pricescope are off of wholesaler lists. That is why you can see a number of vendors list the same diamond at their own prices. A good dealer will get the information for you or get the stone in and run it on their own Sarin machine. There are some vendors that stock their own stones and many will give you Sarin readings. If they won't or can't, move on. It is worth having this information. Cut quality will affect price.

Hope that helps you. :)

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You might buy a round diamond without those numbers IF you used an Ideal-Scope. This would eliminate the need for the numbers when you have the tool right with you when you are shopping. Just look for a diamond tha has the right light return image. the rest is of very little consequence.

However, if you are attempting to select a diamond, sight unseen, then you surely need to jusdge first from the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results