shape
carat
color
clarity

{{PIC}} Please Help me Pick better lookin one!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I have chosen 2 pairs of side diamonds for a 3-stone ring. PLEASE HELP VOICE YOUR OPINION on which pair looks better!!! THANKS!!!

This is Pair Number 1

jewZ.jpg

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
This is Pair number 2

longpairZ.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
cant tell the cut quality in the pics but the outline matches the center better in the first set and that is how I would go.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
From those photos the first pair looks better but you really need to photograph both sets in the same lighting conditions, etc. Same color putty too. Are they at the same location? If so, I''d just take one photo, then remove the other set and put the new set is so it''s exactly the same conditions to compare via a photo.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2008 4:15:35 PM
Author: surfgirl
From those photos the first pair looks better but you really need to photograph both sets in the same lighting conditions, etc. Same color putty too. Are they at the same location? If so, I''d just take one photo, then remove the other set and put the new set is so it''s exactly the same conditions to compare via a photo.
Agreed. And straight on too.

Also, dimensions would be good.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
the cutlets match the center diamond better in the first set. Otherwise, it''s kinda hard to tell...

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can''t speak to the light return leakage issues or performance accurately however the step patterns look more consistent in the 2nd pair than in the first. In the first pair the diamond on the right has broad steps while the pair on the left has thinner more refined steps. In the 2nd pair the steps look to have better consistency but I don''t drop $$$ unless I see for myself when it comes to fancies so take everyone''s comments here with a grain of salt.

mandyk77

Rough_Rock
I like #2 better. The symmetry seems more in line with the center stone.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/21/2008 4:41:25 PM
Author: Rhino
Can''t speak to the light return leakage issues or performance accurately however the step patterns look more consistent in the 2nd pair than in the first. In the first pair the diamond on the right has broad steps while the pair on the left has thinner more refined steps. In the 2nd pair the steps look to have better consistency but I don''t drop $$$ unless I see for myself when it comes to fancies so take everyone''s comments here with a grain of salt.
The culet lengths on the second pair are longer and resembles the center culet more than the first pair.
And I think the corner breaks of the pair in relation to the center are better positioned for the prongs..., that is if you plan on prongs...

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone!!! XOXOXO!! Does this picture help more?

togetherz.jpg

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
No, because it's still on an ANGLE! Put the stones down on a flat surface and shoot the photo head on so we can look down onto the top of the stones. That way we can see the symmetry, etc. better. I think you also want to show us the stones in the direction they'll be actually set...which I think isn't horizontal, right?

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2008 5:29:04 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
I am with storm, in the lousy photo's the first looks best because there appears to be the same pavilion angles all around

Garry I am going to QIMR in April for a project! Are you going to be around so I can visit you and your cool jewels? I will also let you criticize my diamonds in person instead of in the lousy photos. :)

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your feedback. I have had my trusted appraiser Steven Policastro at Southern California Gemological Lab taken a look at them for me. We have both liked the second set better because (1) all 3 stones have ratio of 1.41, while the first set has ratio of 1.32 (2) Given the center stone of H color, second set is H, and first set is G, it is no necessary to use G and taking a chance of making center stone warmer. (3) The first pair have different culet length between the two stones, though minor it bothers me.

So, I am now happy and proud of myself for "hand-picking" this pair myself as I have saved between $200-500 compared to having an expert picking them for me. Most importantly I feel this e-ring is so much more personal as every details have been decided/designed by my finance and I, a true team work. :)

Of course we could not do it without you all! So thank you!! In two weeks you will see my new ring, crafted by a trusted local platinum smith based on a very simple and elegant design by me!!!!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/21/2008 10:28:34 PM
Author: zhuzhu

I am with storm, in the lousy photo''s the first looks best because there appears to be the same pavilion angles all around

Garry I am going to QIMR in April for a project! Are you going to be around so I can visit you and your cool jewels? I will also let you criticize my diamonds in person instead of in the lousy photos. :)
Oh, I am not critical in person - I am nice in the flesh
30.gif
and
29.gif
on-line - just ask Storm
2.gif

What is QIMR?
Should be here in april

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
It is Queensland Institute of Medical Research. I believe it is part of the Royal Brisbane Hospital?

Date: 1/22/2008 1:06:15 AM
Date: 1/21/2008 10:28:34 PM

Author: zhuzhu

I am with storm, in the lousy photo''s the first looks best because there appears to be the same pavilion angles all around

Oh, I am not critical in person - I am nice in the flesh
30.gif
and
29.gif
on-line - just ask Storm
2.gif

What is QIMR?

Should be here in april

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Using pair no. 2 above, here is the final product of my lovely e-ring. Thanks for everyone''s feedback as I am very pleased with the outcome . More pics can be seen here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ering-is-finally-ready-many-pics.77850/
30.gif
30.gif
35.gif

DSCN3953.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results