shape
carat
color
clarity

Pic heavy! Ready to make my band with blue diamonds. Advice please!

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ok, so I have decided to go ahead with the blue diamond band but in the process, am going to get my channel set princess band reset also.

First pic is the blue diamonds. Fancy light blue, 3 points each. Not a great photo sorry. Will be set in a shared prong eternity band 3/4.

Blues.jpg

Here is a picture of the way the jeweller was going reset my princess cut channel set band. Smooth sides with no ridges.
Princess band.jpg
Here is a picture of what I thought might be nicer. More scalloped than straight with an open gallery to match the blue diamond band.
Shared prong band.jpg

Here is how I intend to wear the set once I get my upgrade diamond (2ct I hope) - the overall look I am after. The ring closest to the knuckle is the princess cut eternity, then I'll have the blue diamond band (this is a white diamond band but same size stones as the blues) and then a solitaire with stones on the band and will have a donut to create a little gap, not the way it is shown here.
Set.jpg

I would love your thoughts on how you think a princess cut eternity with shared prong, open gallery would look or if it would be better to keep the square look for the square stones.

Open to suggestions and appreciate your input. All will be hand made in 18kt white gold. Cads will be drawn, then wax model for me to try on and then hand made from there.

Thanks

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Those blue stones are gorgeous!! Where are you getting this band done?? I need one in my life!!

Ok, now that I'm done drooling, I think it's going to look gorgeous.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those blue stones are gorgeous!! Where are you getting this band done?? I need one in my life!!

Ok, now that I'm done drooling, I think it's going to look gorgeous.

Agreed!!! My SIL would KILL to have those blues!!! That’s all she wears is blue diamonds!! So beautiful! l can’t wait to see the finished product!!
I’m all about open galleries. U-prongs would be perfect for your princess cut Eternity!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stones! I guess what I would worry about, being one set of diamonds being flat and the other round, whether the diamond edges would rub against each other. The more open the setting the design the more likely I imagine that to happen.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cant wait to see it. Please promise us many photos!!

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stones! I guess what I would worry about, being one set of diamonds being flat and the other round, whether the diamond edges would rub against each other. The more open the setting the design the more likely I imagine that to happen.

I hope with the princess cut ring that because the prongs will be external to the diamond, that they will create a small barrier. I could also ask that the actual setting protrude very minimally on the base of each ring to create a small separation.

They are going to put a dark rhodium plating on the inside of the ring under the blues to help bring the colour out, the same way they can put a rose gold cup under a pink diamond.

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Cant wait to see it. Please promise us many photos!!

Will absolutely post photos of the finished product. I just hate making decisions on settings when I haven't seen it in real life! Nervous :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like princess cuts in a channel set band best. Can you show us how it is now?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those blue stones are to die for!

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It pretty much is this ring currently. 8 stones, 1/2 way around and are about 16 points each. I'll be adding 5 more stones to make it 3/4.

current.jpg

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh and should I go platinum or white gold.

I was previously told I would get a 'finer' finish with white gold as it is easier to work with than platinum. Also that the grey of the platinum might take away from the blue of the stones and the white of the white gold would be better for the blues.

Thoughts?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the channel set princess stones too. The other detail that would make them wearable together would be to make sure the bands are close to the same height off the finger. You don't want the new blue band to be lower to the point that it would sort of hide under the princess stone ring. I love a small gap between the ering and band though - just gives some definition of each piece.

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I like the channel set princess stones too. The other detail that would make them wearable together would be to make sure the bands are close to the same height off the finger. You don't want the new blue band to be lower to the point that it would sort of hide under the princess stone ring. I love a small gap between the ering and band though - just gives some definition of each piece.

The blue band style just looks really bad with my channel setting! My channel set is actually yellow gold that’s been rhodium plated white. They just don’t work well together!

I’ve asked for the bands to be the same height, as far as possible. They will set the princesses as low as possible and build up the u prong a little underneath!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The blue band style just looks really bad with my channel setting! My channel set is actually yellow gold that’s been rhodium plated white. They just don’t work well together!

I’ve asked for the bands to be the same height, as far as possible. They will set the princesses as low as possible and build up the u prong a little underneath!

The channel set would have to have thin sides and not be bulky for the look to work. If you prefer the prong set, then make sure the prongs are not any bigger than they have to be to secure the stones. If the blue band stones are set in prongs and the princess set band is in prongs, you want to minimize the 'prongy' or as I call 'crusty' look so that the focus is on more on the stones and less on the settings. Hopefully because the jeweler is setting them both, he will understand that they need to compliment one another and not compete.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the round diamonds are in a channel setting that is protective. I also would love to see finished project

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Do you think the overall picture up the top looks too prongy as they’re all the setting types and close to accurate sizing that I will have.

Really appreciate everyone’s help getting this right :D

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those baby blues are so well matched! I hope it's not too forward if I ask where you sourced them from? They are beautiful!

I can't wait to see how this project turns out! I love the idea of the open/scalloped sides for your band...but am curious to see how it would stack...would the stones bang against each other?

BTW, the photo of the three rings together...holy moly that is going to be some bling!

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I will definitely reiterate to the jeweler my concerns about the stones hitting but she assured me it would be metal and metal touching not diamond and diamond. I will check though again. Last thing I want is to have to replace blue stones!!!

I really wanted my rings to be platinum but it makes sense to go with the whiter metal, to retain the blue colour better. I'm really curious to see how much of the blue fades out once set. I hope not much! But I think there will still be a colour difference to the white diamonds next to it. Perhaps more silvery than blue. I don't mind either way... I know they are special and blue so I don't mind how they turn out.

Any other feedback before I finalise the designs today? Thanks again everyone.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The three rings together are very pretty. Not sure what style of setting you decided to do with your princess cut stones but as long as the prongs and ring heights work well together you should be good to go. I doubt the blue color will fade out much - should be really beautiful!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally dio not buy into the reasons they are pushing white gold. Platinum is a true white metal and white gold is plated to get the color. Gold wears away over time, wearing down the tips of prongs and potentially the sides of the rings rubbing each other. I really only make rings now in platinum. I can only think their bench doesn't work in platinum for her to tell you that. And if one really likes rhodium plating, you can do it to platinum, too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more question...were you able to see the blue stones in person before committing to them? That picture above appears to have blue lighting shining on the stones, and the stones' body color looks more gray to me. But if you have seen them in person and they really appear blue, then the picture may be a bad one.

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That stack picture is one of the best I’ve seen! Love the blue diamonds, i actually think I would prefer white gold as the slightly warmer look of it would be prettier to me than grey with blue diamonds.

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
One more question...were you able to see the blue stones in person before committing to them? That picture above appears to have blue lighting shining on the stones, and the stones' body color looks more gray to me. But if you have seen them in person and they really appear blue, then the picture may be a bad one.

Hi DS

I took the photo of the blues so yes, have seen in person. Yes, it’s a bad shot :lol: taken under store lighting!

I’m over the moon with them and will have cads tomorrow!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I am glad you have seen them! I have seen seller shots before that have colored lighting to enhance color, so I am always on guard for altered pics! I do personally know how hard it is to capture color of diamonds and gems in photos. So I am sorry that I sounded negative about your stones! I honestly can't wait to see them set! (I'd still go for platinum especially considering how special the stones are.)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are going to put a dark rhodium plating on the inside of the ring under the blues to help bring the colour out

Interesting detail ...

I imagine that everywhere else on both rings, Pt can be rhodium plated - in the usual bright white finish, if you wish.

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The dark rhodium was the discussion when I was having white gold!

If I go platinum I doubt they will do it!

I can’t decide still!

Argh!!!! Platinum or WG! Is platinum whiter than white gold plated? I like the idea of not having to keep plating it!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Personally I would go with platinum. I have a Fancy Green Blue diamond which I set in platinum. Just be aware that blue diamonds don't show their color as much as other colored diamonds. I set fancy intense pinks(pinks are set in 18kt rose gold) around my blue diamond , then colorless diamonds in platinum to try to tease as much color difference out of the blue diamond. And still, in some lighting it can be hard to discern the blue- in other lighting it looks intensely aqua blue. But I LOVE my blue diamond and know it's special and you'll feel the same about your band.:dance:

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Personally I would go with platinum. I have a Fancy Green Blue diamond which I set in platinum. Just be aware that blue diamonds don't show their color as much as other colored diamonds. I set fancy intense pinks(pinks are set in 18kt rose gold) around my blue diamond , then colorless diamonds in platinum to try to tease as much color difference out of the blue diamond. And still, in some lighting it can be hard to discern the blue- in other lighting it looks intensely aqua blue. But I LOVE my blue diamond and know it's special and you'll feel the same about your band.:dance:

Oh gosh that sounds amazing! Can you post pictures? Pretty Please???

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, so I have decided to go ahead with the blue diamond band but in the process, am going to get my channel set princess band reset also.

First pic is the blue diamonds. Fancy light blue, 3 points each. Not a great photo sorry. Will be set in a shared prong eternity band 3/4.

Blues.jpg

Here is a picture of the way the jeweller was going reset my princess cut channel set band. Smooth sides with no ridges.
Princess band.jpg
Here is a picture of what I thought might be nicer. More scalloped than straight with an open gallery to match the blue diamond band.
Shared prong band.jpg

Here is how I intend to wear the set once I get my upgrade diamond (2ct I hope) - the overall look I am after. The ring closest to the knuckle is the princess cut eternity, then I'll have the blue diamond band (this is a white diamond band but same size stones as the blues) and then a solitaire with stones on the band and will have a donut to create a little gap, not the way it is shown here.
Set.jpg

I would love your thoughts on how you think a princess cut eternity with shared prong, open gallery would look or if it would be better to keep the square look for the square stones.

Open to suggestions and appreciate your input. All will be hand made in 18kt white gold. Cads will be drawn, then wax model for me to try on and then hand made from there.

Thanks

I LOVE your inspiration pic with all of the rings and I LOVE those blue diamonds. Sorry, nothing to contribute... but I'm excited to see your finished project!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results