shape
carat
color
clarity

Photos of the sapphire in question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Just uploaded some photos of the sapphire in question (I am going to send back, but still deciding if I want it for good)

Please tell me what you think about the:

a) Color
b) Sparkliness
c) Extinction (it seems to move from photo to photo so I am showing all three)

sapphviolet1.JPG

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Photo 2: This one is outside in natural light.

sapphviolet2.JPG

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Photo 3: In my bathroom of all places. Wow, my fingers look crooked!

sapphviolet3.JPG

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is GORGEOUS!

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I like the stone. I''m no expert, but I don''t think an extinction can change places..
Maybe if it''s in an actual setting you could judge better. Where did you get it from?
What''s the carat weight? any pics of the pavillion? Thanks for being brave enough to show th forum!

I think it sparkles and the color is pretty close to tanzanite, which I believe you were going for...

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
I am waiting for Movie Zombie to chime in with her critical eye
2.gif

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
BTW everyones fingers are not prefectly straight
I''ve seen far worse on this forum!! lol

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
The sapphire is ~2ct (it has a VERY fat pavillion) and it is from a reputable online vendor, who I will name if I end up buying the stone. Price is just under $1,000. It is just hard for me to know if this is reasonable since I haven''t seen a whole lot of sapphires. I understand this color is less "desirable" than the more pure blues. I''ll try to get pavillion photos tonight when I go home from work.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wowie....I think it''s just gorgeous...scrumptious color, lively and sparkly..

If it looks as good in real life as it does in the pictures, I think it''s a keeper!
3.gif

widget

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

you did a good job with the photography!

fat pavillion is giving you the color you want......

the pictures are showing lots of nice color without a ton of blackout.....

do you like the stone? is it the size and color you want?

what is the carat weight and dimensions of the stone?

are you williing to pay more?

what is the threatment on the stone? heat or BE? have you examined it with a loop.... i know many here don''t believe in looping color stones but i like to.....i like getting to know their personality! i''m flawed, so i can''t expect each and every stone i purchase to not have some personality too!
face6.gif

actually, for the price i think like widget: its a keeper if what blackout happens at times doesn''t bother you. the last picture is really nice .

movie zombie

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Rockzilla.

Glad you opted to have the stone sent to you for review! The color may appear different under various lighting conditions - natural light, fluorescent, incandescent, even sunny vs cloudy. Just keep carrying it around with you and see if you like it over the next several days. Does it look good as you sit at your desk? How about with your morning coffee and your evening cocktail?

The sapphire looks very lively from what I can tell in the pictures. Looks like it is very crisp with excellent brilliance.

What are your thoughts on the size? If I recall, you felt it might face up a little small because it''s cut deep? I think it''s a nice size for your hand.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
I like the stone, I like the size (7x5mm) and color. I was actually originally thinking more of the 1.5ct size, so it is not a huge deal. It does not have any heat or other treatments (which someone said before is not uncommon for this color of stone). This isn''t something I was super picky about, but I understand it may factor into the price.

I really like the cushion shape as well. I think I will be happy with it once it is set (if I decide in the end to buy it) but I have a little time to decide.

What do you guys think: diamond halo or 3-stone with a diamond on either side?

RZ

PS my name may be rockzilla, but that doesn''t mean I like just huge rocks...it is just something my boyfriend nicknamed me because I am always noticing other people''s rings

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
Oooh! The color on that is gorgeous
emlove.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The color is just yummy!!!
30.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
If I recall Rockzilla, you are a halo-lover, aren't you?

I would have to say though that I'm partial to 3-stone. I think side diamonds would give the ring more spread on your finger. Maybe some brilliant traps or half-moons? Or maybe halo'ed 3-stones?? That would be perfect!

Are you thinking WG?

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
I actually like halo and 3-stone both equally, though I think a haloed 3-stone might be overkill (both for me and my budget!) But, I am afraid with the depth of the stone the halo might be a more doable setting, I am still waiting to hear back from the vendor on this though.

Definitely white gold. As this is not a wear-it-allday-everyday piece such as a engagement ring, I am happy with WG over platinum. Platinum makes everything more expensive! Though I''m afraid the jury is still out on 18k vs 14k white gold?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the color!! Simply gorgeous!

widget

Ideal_Rock
I vote for three-stone!

Simple, elegant, classic, and some E/W spread. How about trap sides?

widget

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2007 10:27:35 PM
Author: rockzilla
I actually like halo and 3-stone both equally, though I think a haloed 3-stone might be overkill (both for me and my budget!) But, I am afraid with the depth of the stone the halo might be a more doable setting, I am still waiting to hear back from the vendor on this though.

Definitely white gold. As this is not a wear-it-allday-everyday piece such as a engagement ring, I am happy with WG over platinum. Platinum makes everything more expensive! Though I''m afraid the jury is still out on 18k vs 14k white gold?
Neil, the appraiser, says that in cast settings, 18k wg is more durable than 14k. So I guess if you get handmade, you might want to ask the jeweler what is best. But many settings are cast, so I''d go with 18k wg in that case.

I hope to have a lavendar sapphire someday! That is a gorgeous color!

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
My b/f is a plumber and he said if you suspect that it went down the drain that you should open up the pea trap underneath the sink. Every sink has a trap, if it went down the sink there is a VERY good chance that it''s down the trap. It might need a good cleaning afterward because it most likely will be overed in hair.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
I am not sure how to check the p-trap...though would it still be there even if this was months ago? Also, the plumber replaced EVERYTHING (the sink itself, all the pipes from the sink to the wall, and the fixture) so it might have gone with that.

The ring was on the counter when I left in the morning, and everything was rearranged when I got home (I didn''t know they were coming that day, I thought they had come the day before, but the landlord let them in) but when I spoke to the plumber and showed him a picture he said he had never seen the ring at all.

It is weird, because he took such care to put else everything back (even if it was in the wrong place) and he even emptied my trash can.

RZ

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Rockzilla, the trap on a sink is the U-shape bend in the pipe underneath the sink. Water stays in this bend thereby blocking septic/sewer gases from coming back up through your drain. In addition to water, many things can collect in the trap - hair, nail clippings, etc. - even your ring. A trap usually has a nut at the bottom that you can unscrew with a big wrench and a lot of UMPHF! If you do this, have a bucket underneath and wear gloves. You can feel around to see if the ring is there. However, if the trap is new, it''s unlikely.

I had no idea that a plumber was in the apartment when your ring disappeared. Have you told your landlord? I''m not sure but if your landlord allowed the plumber entry, I believe the landlord is responsible if the ring was stolen. Your lease should say. Of course that''s hard to prove, but it may be worth filing a police report.

Do you have "Tenants Insurance"? If not, please get it immediately! It''s not expensive (like $250-300 per year tops) and proteccts you against exacly this sort of thing. It would even protect you if you wore your ring swimming and lost it (up to a certain $ amount).

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Starry-eyed- I am kind of scared to check the plumbing thing, but maybe I will ask my boyfriend to help me. The landlord is not responsible if I give them permission to enter. I left the signed work order the day before, when I came home it was gone so I thought they had come in. But they actually came the next day - if I had known they were coming I would never have left the ring out!

I do have renter''s insurance, unfortunately the value of the ring was less than my deductable (by $50!) so I couldn''t report a claim. And then, it only covers jewelry up to like $1,500 or $2,000, so it is really sad. For future purchases I am going to buy separate insurance. I also just invested in a small safe, so I am going to keep all valuables in there from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results