shape
carat
color
clarity

Photographers

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
I know we have some here. What do you shoot with? What''s your style or genre?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I shoot with a Nikon D300 and primarily my Tamron 24-75 F2.8. I wouldn''t say I have a particular style - I shoot a little bit of everything, but model work (where I choose the subject and location) and macro are my favorites.

What do you do?
1.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use a Nikon D200 and my set of 30 year old Nikkor lenses, extension rings and a bellows extension.
No zooms lenses and no auto focus.
I especially love macro work.

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
I expected to see you here.
2.gif

I shoot with a Nikon D90 and F100 (35mm). I mainly use my 50mm 1.8. I currently shoot my kids since I don't have much time to focus on anything else. If I could, I'd probably focus on B&W street photography and I'd spend more time shooting with my F100. I *love* B&W film photography. I have about five rolls of film from a year ago that I still need to send off to get developed and scanned.

I'm not really into portrait photography. I've had friends and family ask about starting a business. It doesn't interest me at all. I prefer to sell prints.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I tried to get into taking the type of photos Getty Images likes to buy and sell, but I don''t think I have the eye for that sort of thing. I would love to, though. Maybe that''s the area where I need to work on growing.

Kenny, is your bellows an older one? I really want to learn how to use a bellows, your macro work with it is amazing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2010 5:36:08 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

Kenny, is your bellows an older one? I really want to learn how to use a bellows, your macro work with it is amazing.

I bought it new in 1982; that's not old, is it?
9.gif

It is Nikon PB-6.
I also got the copy stand (the bellows screws onto it and the system becomes vertical and sits on a table) and a slide adaptor (for photographing slides).

You could opt for get a few extension rings instead.
You wont' get the range or flexibility of a real bellows but will you'll increase the magnification of your macro lens.
Neither the rings or the bellows have any glass; they just enlarge by moving the lens away from the body.

Bellows or rings will physically work on any lens but real macro lenses (Nikon calls them micro) are designed to suffer less image degradation when moved further from the body.
In fact to get the bellows to fit onto my D200 I have to use one PK-13 extension ring.

bellows2.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Oh FUN. I am going to have to get one of these. It just looks so interesting. Thanks, Kenny!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing you have to do with bellows that you do not have to do with extension rings is stop down the lens to the desired aperture before making the exposure.
Rings have a mechanical coupling thingie that does this for you but that is not possible with a cloth bellows.

Of course you want it fully open for composing and focusing.
Then you want it stopped down during the exposure.

Normally the lens and body can coordinate this.
But with bellows yo have to either push a button on the lens panel to stop the lens down or use a dual cable release.
Actually a dual does you no good on todays DSLRs since they no long have screw-resepticals for cable releases.
For bellows a single release screwed into the lens panel will work.
You have to manually get the lens stopped down before you take the pic.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am an amateur photographer - used to do portraits and weddings but have not done them for about 15 years.

I have a Pentax K1000 (still can''t part with it) and a Pentax K10d. i also have 2 Sony Cybershots and use them quite a bit as well.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Guess I''m the lonely Canon guy here. I think I''m on my 6th generation Canon camera body so there isn''t any going back for me now. I''m too used to their button placement and nomenclature.

I use a Canon 7D body with a 300 2.8 and a 70-200 2.8 for sports and nature.

Date: 6/6/2010 8:26:10 PM
Author: marcyc
I am an amateur photographer - used to do portraits and weddings but have not done them for about 15 years.

I have a Pentax K1000 (still can''t part with it) and a Pentax K10d. i also have 2 Sony Cybershots and use them quite a bit as well.

I learned the basics in high school on the pentax k1000! I''ve been wanting to get one. I really love that camera

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I shoot with a Nikon D90 + 50mm 1.8 and occasionally (on vacation), the kit 18-105mm. I also play around with my F4, and my Canon SD for a lot of my jewelry macro shots as I haven't decided on a macro lens for the D90 yet.

Primarily, I shoot food pics for my cooking blog, vacation pics, pics of my cats, my niece, and my jewelry.

I need to bone up on post-processing knowledge, though. I think a lot of what I shoot is not edited as best it could be.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2010 3:53:52 PM
Author: waxing lyrical
I expected to see you here.
2.gif

I shoot with a Nikon D90 and F100 (35mm). I mainly use my 50mm 1.8. I currently shoot my kids since I don''t have much time to focus on anything else. If I could, I''d probably focus on B&W street photography and I''d spend more time shooting with my F100. I *love* B&W film photography. I have about five rolls of film from a year ago that I still need to send off to get developed and scanned.

I''m not really into portrait photography. I''ve had friends and family ask about starting a business. It doesn''t interest me at all. I prefer to sell prints.
Waxing, I keep hearing about the 1.4 50mm being superior to the 1.8 50mm. Have you had a chance to play with both yet?

I''m considering selling my 1.8 for the 1.4, but I''m leary without talking to someone who shoots jewelry, as well.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shoot nature photography mostly, though I do some urban. I''m am amature photog though. In the days of film I shot with a Nikon F100 body, standard 50mm lense (which I still have) I kinda don''t have the heart to get rid of it yet.(I still have a ton of film!)

For digital I use Panasonic G1, There''s only 2 lenses for it and I''ve got both. I really happen to like what it does for color and most of the pictures are pretty clean.

-A

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For people that are still shooting heavily in film, who is doing your processing? I used to have a guy up here that did a fantastic job with the bigger prints but he went out of business. I always shoot in slide film as it offers the best saturation of color. Only a scant few places up around me can even handle it though none that well
7.gif

-A

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2010 3:03:33 PM
Author: swedish bean

Date: 6/6/2010 8:26:10 PM
Author: marcyc

I learned the basics in high school on the pentax k1000! I''ve been wanting to get one. I really love that camera
They are great cameras. Maybe you can find one on Ebay very reasonably priced.

nosirrah

Rough_Rock
Another Nikon guy here! I shoot with a d700 with my favorite lenses probably being the 85 1.4 and the 20 2.8. Can''t get enough of those lenses, the 85 is magic and the 20 is the perfect travel lens. I do a lot of street photography but I shoot weddings to keep the bills paid.

nosirrah

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/7/2010 6:15:05 PM
Author: Arcadian
For people that are still shooting heavily in film, who is doing your processing? I used to have a guy up here that did a fantastic job with the bigger prints but he went out of business. I always shoot in slide film as it offers the best saturation of color. Only a scant few places up around me can even handle it though none that well
7.gif

-A

Yeah, it''s getting tough with film these days. If you''re willing to send away film or if you''re in the LA area, Richards Photo Lab is pretty amazing. They''re pricey but they do really good job processing work. Anything from clean nature to light dirty vintage work, they get it right.

It''s expensive though doing film. I have an itching to pull the trigger on an old film Contax 645...but film costs are holding me back. I love the film look and the art within it, but so expensive to shoot it on a regular basis.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results